Heading for the Castle and I Have 2 Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heading for the Castle and I Have 2 Questions Heading for the Castle and I Have 2 Questions

Unread 02-14-2002, 06:02 AM
Heading for the Castle and I Have 2 Questions

I will be having TAH BOS on 2/26. I have been reading the message boards with great interest since I found this site a few days ago - thanks! I have two questions. I notice several mentions of bleeding after the surgery, taking pads to the hospital, etc. Is there post-surgical bleeding with every procedure (i.e. TAH), or do you have to have something left in there to bleed FROM? My second question is about driving after the surgery. How far into recovery have you gals been getting back behind the wheel? I drive a 5 speed, so also have the clutch pedal to be dealing with.

Thanks, all you Princesses for being there for us Ladies In Waiting! And Happy Valentine's Day to all you beautiful sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2002, 06:11 AM

Hi and welcome!

As far as post-op bleeding, it seems to vary from woman to woman. I had a TAH, and had absolutely no bleeding or discharge at all, but many women do. Some women also report some light bleeding a few weeks post-op, as the sutures in the vaginal cuff start to dissolve. I would definitely have supplies on hand, so that you are prepared in any case.

As far as driving, definitely ask your doctor. He/she will most likely have specific restrictions for you. My doctor released me to drive at 4 weeks. She said I needed to wait until I could slam on the brakes, hard, and it didn't hurt.

You may also want to check with your auto insurance company. Some don't cover people for a certain number of days after being under general anesthesia (my company said one month).

Good luck, and keep posting - we'll all do our best to help!
Unread 02-14-2002, 06:14 AM

Hiya Bonanza,

I had a LAVH/BSO on Dec 5 and only had very little spotting for maybe 2 days. Everyone is different though.

As for the driving...my dr released me to drive at 2 weeks (an automatic transmission) and I went right out and did it...omg I should have waited. I was so sore when I got home and for a few days after. Since you'll be driving a standard I might wait a little longer. However, like I said, everyone is different so be sure to ask your dr about this. Also, listen to your body, it will let you know right away what you can and/or can't do. Once piece of advice though...the first several times you go out to drive, take someone with you in case it's too much and need them to take over for you.

The best of luck to you and good wishes for a good surgery and an uneventful recovery. If you're ever looking for something to do, stop in Chat and meet all the wonderful ladies there...we'd love to have you. It's a wonderful place for support and great hugs.

s

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2002, 06:16 AM
Driving......

I was not permitted to drive for 4 weeks. Most people are told 2-4 weeks, but you need to check with your doctor...esp. since you drive a standard.

It's a good idea about checking w/ your insurance company also.

Best of luck

Endo_Chic
Unread 02-14-2002, 06:21 AM

I had a TAH/BSO on 12/26/01. On my first visit to the bathroom, I had some bleeding when I wiped. I put on one of my pads (I took my own because hospital ones tend to be huge). I didn't have any more which made me wonder if it came from my catheter being removed aboyt 20 minutes earlier.

As for driving, after my C-Sections I drove at less than 2 weeks
(no, I didn't have dr.'s permission). This time, I didn't drive until about 3 weeks post-op and started out with short distances. It wore me out the first couple of times and I have an automatic transmission also.

TALK to your dr. and more important LISTEN to your body. You'll do fine.
Unread 02-14-2002, 12:18 PM

Good Luck and get lots of rest.

I had my TAH on Dec 4, 2001. I didn't drive for a month, but ask your doc. I also did not experience any bleeding post-op. I took the long mini pads just in case.

Best of Luck,
Al
Unread 02-14-2002, 02:46 PM

Bonanza - Welcome to hystersisters. As you can tell everyone is different with bleeding/discharge after surgery I had tah/bso and had discharge/bleeding for about 10 - 12 days. Wore pads the first 5 - 7 days..then just panty liners.

PS - I took pads to hospital with me. Figured I had plenty to use up
Unread 02-14-2002, 03:55 PM

My doctor told me to wait two weeks after my surgery to drive. I waited one week and drove myself to his office when I had my staples removed. I have a 5-speed stickshift and it was no problem. I went on a shopping expedition a few days later that involved 4 hours of driving, still no problem. Physically, I think it varies from individual to individual. I hadn't heard about the insurance companys not covering you w/i one month of anaesthesia. Yikes! I'm glad I made it to seven weeks post-op without an accident!

As for needing pads, I had some spotting for 2 weeks after my surgery. The hospital only had what appeared to be surplus napkins from 1970 (no adhesive).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register