Breast Cancer & Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Breast Cancer & Hysterectomy Breast Cancer & Hysterectomy

Unread 02-14-2002, 06:23 AM
Breast Cancer & Hysterectomy

I am scheduled for an LAVH with LSO. My mother died of breast cancer at age 46. I am 36. Is it wiser to keep my other ovary, or to have it removed as well. I'm not even sure if there is any connection. I will ask the doctor as well, I am looking for opinions on the issue. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2002, 06:27 AM

Under 40, you should probably keep it. It's a catch 21. Family history of breast cancer leads to an increased risk of ovarian cancer. However, hormone therapy use looks like it may increase breast cancer risk. Since you are young, you will probably benefit more in terms of osteoporosis risk, etc. by keeping it if it is healthy.
Unread 02-14-2002, 06:32 AM
Thanks Ravens

Thanks for responding. That was my concern regarding taking hormones. Cancer is high in my family. My dad is fighting pancreatic cancer at the moment. I already take synthroid for hypothyroid. So the less pills for the rest of my life sounds good to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2002, 07:33 AM

Hi I am 40 and have breast cancer and just had a tvh/rso on 1/23/02 my dr left my left ovary because he said I was too young to go into menopause because I can not take any kind of hrt. I hope this helps you.

Littlebear (Sherrei)
Unread 02-14-2002, 08:00 AM
Thank YOU littlebear

This was exactly the info I needed to hear. My fathers sled dog is named littlebear. She is the good luck charm for him. Double whammy for you. I wish you well with the BC and I hope you are recovering well. THANK YOU THANK YOU. Good Luck!
Unread 02-14-2002, 03:37 PM

Hi, SusieQ!

Please check with your doctor on this. I know some breast cancers are influenced by estrogen (I have a friend who is having her ovaries removed because she has had a recurrence of breast cancer and she needs to keep her estrogen levels low). If your doc doesn't think that's a particular issue for you based on your own personal history and current health status, well, then it would be great if you could keep a healthy ovary to give you some natural hormones. So much can play into a cancer risk. It's a great conversation for you to have with your doc. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register