intestinal problems related? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

intestinal problems related? intestinal problems related?

Unread 02-14-2002, 10:40 AM
intestinal problems related?

I'm 35 and considering a LAVH for cramps (tried everything western & alternative medicine had to offer; nothing helps enough). Had a lap at 17 to look for endometriosis, but they didn't find any. I know I could have developed it since then.

As I've been researching hysterectomies (and endo), I'm finding references to bowel and intestinal problems.

For the past 8 years, I've had these sporadic intestinal attacks -- abdominal cramping (like gas pains), diarrhea, sometimes nausea and vomiting, slight fever. They last anywhere from 2 to 24 hours and are unrelated to my menstrual cycle. My gastroenterologist did a colonoscopy and a small-bowel follow-through and found nothing (a previous gastro did a blood test while I was having a reaction and found only slightly elevated white-blood cells). He tentatively diagnosed IBS but said I don't fit the classic symptoms.

What I'm wondering is -- could this be endometriosis? Anyone else ever get symptoms like these? Or something hormone-related? My gastroenterologist never even suggested the possibility, but what I'm reading makes me wonder....

I'm debating between just having a LAVH (no kidding, ladies, I've been wanting a hysterectomy since I was about 15; the surgery scares me but the thought of waking up uterus-free fills me with joy and relief) and having a laparoscopy just to see what's going on in there. I will talk to my OB-GYN about it, but I also wanted to get feedback from women in the trenches. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2002, 10:51 AM

I just turned 36 had my TAH/BSO Jan. 25.
have you thought that maybe you might be allergic to some foods? I found out that I am allergic to peanuts. or anything that is cooked in peanut oil it gives me the same cramps and everything. try that for awhile staying away from anything that is cooked in any nut oil even like potato chips and see howyour systems do on that.
my Lap. showed that I had Adenomyosis, cycts on both ovaries, fall. tube on my left side was filled with fluid and fibroids. yuk!!
so the lap will find something if its there.
but in the meantime.........try cutting out anything with nuts at the end
hope all goes well
Unread 02-14-2002, 11:27 AM
intestional problems

If I were you I would have the lap first, of course, or ask your gyn about a hysteroscopy - that will take pictures and anything abnormal will show up - that's what I had along with the lap a few years back - of course, after that I started getting fibroids but I'd do that before anything else. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2002, 09:38 PM

Thanks -- I'm thinking a lap might shed some light on some digestive problems.

I've tried all kinds of elimination diets & know to avoid dairy, garlic, onion, and tomato. Never had trouble with nuts; I don't eat them often. But I still get these weird intestinal reactions sometimes -- and sometimes I can feel them coming for a couple of days before they hit. I've finally figured out, through trial and error, that they probably aren't diet-related.

Guess I still have a lot of thinking to do, regarding the hysterectomy itself. I really want one (for cramps), but major surgery -- yikes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register