Pain Relief? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-14-2002, 11:25 AM
Pain Relief?

I have a question about pain relief. I am considering telling the folks at the castle that I don't want any morphine, post-op. I've never had it before and have no idea whether I'm allergic to it or not. I also am not fond of the effect I've heard it has on people. I would be slightly uncomfortable than totally out of it. I am also concerned about the effects of the morphine on top of the grogginess after general anesthesia.
I was just looking for some other thoughts on the subject. I talked to a couple of people about it, and the consensus is that I'm nuts. Thank You for any ideas.
Kelkie(Kelly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2002, 11:59 AM
Pain Relief?

Hi Kelly,

I had a Demerol PCA after my surgery, but maybe this will help. I wasn't very groggy after the surgery - I had full awareness, etc. - but I did feel tired and slept on and off that day. I didn't get nauseated at all, possibly because I told the anesthesiologist prior to surgery to hook me up with some anti-nausea medicine. I also told my nurses I didn't want to get nauseated so they gave me something in my IV to prevent it.

You're definitely going to want some kind of pain medicine - the pain wasn't horrifying or anything but it was definitely there, and if you can ease that somewhat, you'll want to. The PCA worked beautifully for me, and by the second day pain pills were plenty to keep me relatively pain-free.

I know it's scary - I was terrified - but it was SO much easier and less painful than I thought it would be. I'll keep you in my thoughts and wish you an uneventful surgery and recovery!

Heidi
Unread 02-14-2002, 01:22 PM
Pain Relief?

Hi Kelly!

I had a TVH and did not have morphine. Prior to surgery i was given toredol (a super anti inflamatory drug) and percoset after surgery. I did have to have the dose increased the first day. I continued the percoset for 3 days and Motrin for about a week. I will tell that my biggest pain was in the lower back. I took my heating pad with me the hospital and used it for several weeks post surgery. It was a huge help. All in all, the worst day was the day of surgery, but after adjusting the meds, my discomfort was very tolerable.

I will add however, that if pain management is a big concern for you, you may want to leave the option open for the morphine. It might also be a good idea to discuss your concerns with your doctor and see what else may be available for you. All the best to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2002, 02:11 PM
Pain Relief?

Hi Kelly - I felt like you about the morphine but opted to have it. I had it in my IV and also the option of administering more to myself. I was glad I had it! I did not have to administer that much to myself but was glad it was there if I needed it. I really was not in much pain at all which really surprised me. Even after I came home I only used Motrin 800 for pain. I hate to take meds and avoid it if I can. Best of luck to you in your decision. Cathy
Unread 02-14-2002, 02:18 PM
pain relief

hi....i had a tah with pelvis lymphandectomy in october 2001 and i hate taking any kind of medication, but thank god for morphine !1 i wouldnt recommend being without it....i had the morphine drip and had to press a button every 10 minutes to release an extra dose of morphine, my mum was timing me and every ten minutes she would yell..'its ten minutes, press it!!'....at the end of the day, IT IS MAJOR SURGERY and your body is in shock, you need the morphine,,,,i wouldnt have been without it,...i was glad of the morphine the day they removed the wound drain !!!

stay brave !!

Girl power !!

mellissa
Unread 02-14-2002, 04:10 PM
Pain Relief

Hey Kelly,
I'm new to this site and haven't had surgery yet, but......I have worked in the area and have seen patients on pain medication. Since your surgery is TVH the pain should be less than with TAH, however, in order to get up and move around, do your deep breathing and all those post- op things you will probably need something for pain. Often the pain medication is given by PCA which you control yourself. The doses are fairly small, but may be given frequently. This keeps the pain well controlled without giving such a drugged effect.
Pain is much easier controlled when the medication is started as soon as possible and you can stay ahead of it. If you put off the medication and wait until the pain is much worse it's harder to get under control. They usually start the pain medication in the OR, you might be able to control it with medication by mouth. Your Dr. can leave an order for both and then you can switch at any time.
Hope that helps!

Susan
Unread 02-14-2002, 05:40 PM
Pain Relief?

I had an epidural for post-op pain relief. It was fantastic and I didn't have any of the effects that most get with the morophine pump. Talk to your anesthesiologist before surgery. He is the one in charge of your pain management both during and after surgery.
Unread 02-14-2002, 07:46 PM
Thanks!!

The nurse that will be there in the morning just called, and I will have a PCA pump, but my prefers to start with Demerol. I have had that before and know that I can tolerate it well.
I feel much better about it now. Our hospital does not use spinal or epi's for this kind of surgery.
Thank you all for your help and kind words! I think I am now as ready as I can get, with less than 12 hours to go til my trip to the castle!
Kelkie(Kelly)
Unread 02-14-2002, 09:29 PM
Pain Relief?

Hi Kelkie, don't know if it's too late for you to get this post but I'll try for what it's worth...
You're not crazy at all to be concerned about the morphine, everybody's different. I have a very high tolerance to medication, always have. I had TVH (ovaries too), anterior & posterior repair and resuspension for a 3rd degree prolapse with cystocoele and rectocoele on 2/4. When I woke up I was on a morphine pump...tried it for a few hours and found it very frustrating. The morphine didn't do a thing for the pain at all but it made me "woozy" so I kept drifting in and out, never got any real sleep. I had the surgery early in the am and it went like that all day but fortunately I was able to convince the night nurse to disconnect the morphine and give me toredol (spelling?) injections in my IV instead. This was much better since it addressed the pain and not my head...also I requested lots of warm blankets which helped a lot, just kept laying them across my tummy. By the end of the next day they had disconnected my IV and I was on vicodins, 2 every 3 hours plus 800mg ibuprofen every 12 hours. After I was home a day or two I decreased the vicodin to 1 every 4 hours, keeping the ibuprofen. Tonight they're switching me to darvocet instead of the vicodin so I am keeping my fingers crossed...the pain is minimal early in the day but it can get kind of bad later in the day sometimes. Couple of words of advice, which I'm sure the nurses will tell you - don't wait until the pain gets real bad before asking for something, it's easier to manage it if you catch it early. Ask for anti nausea meds at the slightest sign of a problem, you don't want to be dealing with that after the surgery (in fact I had the anesthesiologist give me some before I woke up). And the best feeling in the world is a warm (but not hot) shower as soon as they'll let you. Good luck!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register