Myomectomy or Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Myomectomy or Hysterectomy? Myomectomy or Hysterectomy?

Unread 02-14-2002, 11:29 AM
Myomectomy or Hysterectomy?

My doctor seems confused as to what operation to perform and each time I talk to him I get more confused. The last time I spoke to him he led me to believe that having a partial hyst. was my best option. I am single, 27and have several fibroids, one of which is huge and inside of the wall of my uterus. He said removing it would be difficult and they could grow back or scar tissue could form.

Today I went in for my pre-opt and he says that he wants to try to remove it first, and if it isn't easy to remove then he will perform the hyst.

Has anyone out there had a myomectomy for a similar type of fibroid? Did it grow back? Did you have to deal with scar tissue?

I kinda think it is better to just get rid of the source of the problem -- my uterus. I don't want to have to deal with another fibroid never the less another surgery.

Help!

Brandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2002, 11:43 AM

Brandi,

Since you are only 27, doctors usually will suggest myomectomy in case you want to have children later on. Fibroids often grow back, although it might take a few years. Scar tissue is a possible complication of any abdominal surgery, including hysterectomy. I have not experienced scar tissue from my surgeries, but others on this site have. I believe it's called adhesions and sometimes can be extremely painful and debilitating.

If your fibroids aren't causing any symptoms and are not growing rapidly, you may wish to get a second opinion. Also, there is another procedure you can ask your doctor about that shrinks fibroids and preserves fertility. It's called UAE (uterine artery embolization). Someone on this site may have had that done. There is quite a bit of information on webmd.com that discusses fibroids and the options to treat them.
Unread 02-14-2002, 11:54 AM

Brandi - Use search icon at the top and search by keywords "myomectomy" and "embolization"..that will pull up others posts discussing those procedures.

Also, you might want to ask your question on the "options and alternatives" section of our message board too...to get some additional replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2002, 01:40 PM

The problem is the fibroids are growing rapidly. They were discovered in August. I was treated with Lupron for three months and they are continuing to grow so fast that my doctor is concerned.

Originally he wanted me to wait until the summer but since they keep growing, him and I agree that now is the time.
Unread 02-14-2002, 03:33 PM

Hi, Brandi,

I replied to your question in the Options and Alternatives forum, with some links that may be helpful.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 02-14-2002, 07:13 PM

Hi Brandi!

I am a myomectomy veteran, so I can share my own experience with you. The big issue for me in making the decision was that I was hoping to conceive. I had been plagued with fibroids since at least the age of 27...huge ones. I had a laser myomectomy with uterine suspension. Guess what....they grew back with a vengeance. Not only that, I had to have three laps to attempt to tame the adhesions that developed. After all that, I was not able to conceive, and eventually became a lucky mom by adopting my beautiful daughter.

It's my own opinion that fibroids grow back. If you are not planning to use your uterus for anything () ie, if your family is complete or you are not planning on biological children, my vote would be for a hyster. Most of the women here who have had myos end up with hysters anyway...two surgeries when one would have been a permanent solution.

But of course, permanent solutions are permanent...so if you aren't ready for that, then myomectomy might be a good option. That said, make sure it's a good option for YOU, not for your doctor. This is a decision YOU must make...it's not a test of his surgical skills. He's not sure? He wants to try to get just the fibroids? What do YOU want??? That's the important question here.

If you can't get straight answers and helplful consultation to help you make the right decision for you, PLEASE get a second or third opinion. This is a big, life-changing, permanent surgery, so everyone needs to be very clear on what the plan is!!!

Hope this helps...feel free to email if I can help. And remember, I'm not a doctor...this is based solely on my own experience and what I've observed here.

Karen
Unread 02-14-2002, 07:42 PM

Brandi,
I replied to your post on Options and Alternatives too. The more I read about your situation, the more it seems like a second opinion could help you. I know it's sort of a pain to schedule yet another Dr. appointment, but it could really ease your mind. Ask around and try to find a gyn with a really good surgical reputation. Weigh your choices carefully. We'll be here for you if you have more questions. Best of luck!

Beth
Unread 02-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Myomectomy or Hysterectomy

Hi Brandi: I have had both procedures done. In 1994 I had suffered with fibroids for several years. I had severe bleeding, cramps and was terribly anemic. I was 34 and my physician suggested a myomectomy. At that time I did not even consider a hysterectomy (had many childbearing years left, did not want to deal with early menopause or HRT, etc.) The myomectomy went fine, I was in the hospital for three days and had a four week recovery period.

Unfortunately, the fibroids did return and after a lot of research into alternatives (even considered another myomectomy) and soul searching, decided to have a hysterectomy. My husband and I have teenage children and knew we did not want anymore children. I am in my early forties. I did have some anxiety about losing my uterus and even the possbility of getting pregnant again. It was a long, difficult decision for me, but in the end I knew I did not want to worry about the fibroids returning. So, on January 31, 2002, I had a hysterectomy (kept my cervix and ovaries). My recovery has gone pretty well. All in all, I still feel like I made the best decision for myself.

As I look back on my earlier decision to hae a myomectomy, even knowing what I know now, I think I still might have elected to have the myomectomy in 1994. I don't think I would have been "ready" for a hysterectomy then for lots of reasons.

It is a difficut decision and I would really encourage you to research all the alternative you can before deciding to have either. As one hystersister put it, "once they remove your uterus, they can't put it back in." Take your tiem, search your heart, read all you can and get a second opinion if you like. I did. In the end you will make the best decision for yourself. Take care and best wishes for good health.
Unread 02-15-2002, 11:36 AM

Hi, I had the same problem as you I had a fibroid tumor in the wall of my uterus. I did have a myomectomy to hopefully solve the problem. It did for about a year then I was back to the heavy bleeding and pain and discomfort. I tried medications to help with the bleeding and shrinking of the tumor and they did not work. I went for a second opinion and both doctors had recommended a hysterectomy or trying the myomectomy again. For myself knowing that my doctor did all he could with the first myomectomy I didnt want to go through that again and have it fail. So I chose to have the hysterectomy, I kept my ovaries and had the uterus and cervix removed. I am doing great and feel wonderful. Best of luck to you and I would get a second opinion if your not sure.

Kelly

Feel free to email me :email:[email protected]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register