Private or Semi-Private Room | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Private or Semi-Private Room Private or Semi-Private Room

Unread 02-15-2002, 08:21 AM
Private or Semi-Private Room

For those that are already crowned, better to have a private room at the hosp or a semi? Do they normally put you in the mother/baby rooms/wing? I'm scheduled for LAVH/LSO. just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2002, 08:31 AM

I had a private room and pd. $75/day for the benefit. One woman I was just reading about had her roommate bring in ribs (one of my favorite foods) but having just come out of surgery I would have . I have some nurse friends who have indicated that they try to keep the surgical gyno pts. away from the "delivery" patients. I think there was a "delivery" one in the room next to mine. I was about ready to complain about the noise level when the "family" arrived - there had to be a million of them, I'm sure! With not knowing who the visitors for the neighbor would be and having to get to the bathroom - what if someone's in the bathroom when you have that magic moment - I'd advocate for private anyday.

Now, all that being said, they couldn't promise a private room ahead of time because it depended on the hospital census and whether or not they needed the bed.

Good luck with your decision and surgery. Most people are home before they know it.
Unread 02-15-2002, 08:31 AM

Hi, SusieQM,

I had a private room, and I loved it. (I hadn't asked for a private room, but I was glad to have one! I was placed on my hospital's pediatric unit, where all the rooms are private, because the other units were full.)

I'd encourage all hyst patients to have a close friend or relative spend the first night with them in the hospital, if possible, because sometimes a busy nursing staff may not be able to respond to you as quickly as you'd like. With a private room, if someone spends the night with you, there will be enough room to accommodate that extra person.

Several ladies have posted that they called their hospital ahead of time, and were able to arrange a private room for about $25/nite extra (out-of-pocket expense.) If that's an option for you, I'd recommend arranging for the private room. It will make your recovery less hectic.

Best wishes,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2002, 08:34 AM

I was in a semi-private room but I didn't mind. I didn't have anyone stay with me the first night so it was kind of nice to have someone there.

I was on a surgical unit - all different types of ailments but everyone had just had surgery - so I didn't have to worry about being on the OB floor.

Heidi
Unread 02-15-2002, 08:49 AM
private room

If you request a private room at admission, you will be charged the extra fee. Wait until you are in the recovery room then ask your nurse for a private, most hospitals assign patients a room when they get to recovery and the nurse can ask for this when she calls for a room. Good luck.
Unread 02-15-2002, 08:52 AM

The hospital asked me at pre op if I minded being on the same floor with women having babies, if I didn't mind, I could be on that floor and have a private room, otherwise I'd have a semi-private room. I didn't mind, I'm done having kids. I liked the private room, it was large and when I was on the morphine I probably would have driven a roommate nuts. I kept getting up, jumping at every tiny sound, I was nauseous and puking, and I got alot of phone calls.
Unread 02-15-2002, 09:06 AM

I was very, very happy to pay the additional $40/night for a private room. I'm one of those people that when I'm sick, I want to go crawl in a cave and be left alone. I wasn't thrilled at all at the thought of sharing a room with a stranger who might be even sicker than me, so I jumped at the chance for a private room. I'm not big on chit-chat when I'm not feeling well and my last hospital roommate insisted on waking me up constantly to tell me long tales about her family problems. When she wasn't talking to me, she was talking on the phone - loudly! Thankfully, I only had to be in the hospital one night that time.

My private room was very quiet and I got to sleep undisturbed, except for during the first night when they take your vital signs pretty often. I could also watch TV or read at night if I couldn't sleep without having to worry about bothering anyone else. Unless your really like company and dislike being alone, I'd opt for the private room if it's available.

Arebella
Unread 02-15-2002, 10:22 AM

I had a private room and really liked it. They asked me during my Pre-Admission (which was over the phone) if I wanted one or not. They also told me that insurance would not cover a Private Room and it was $20. extra per day. This was a small cost I thought. I thought I would be more comfortable being by myself. No one stayed with me my first night and that was fine because I slept most of the time. The nurses woke me up at 12 Mid & 4 am for meds, BP & temp., etc. My Dr. also came in at 7am every morning.

I was put on the maternity floor because my Dr. is a OB/GYN. The nurses told me most Gyn patients are put on that floor. I didn't even know I was until I went out for my first big walk and realized the nursery was right outside my door! It was a little strange I will admit.

Good luck with your decision and with your upcoming surgery!
Unread 02-15-2002, 10:34 AM

I had a private room and had not asked for one, but was glad for it. And I was on the floor with all the babies and mothers, which did not bother me as I have had all the kids I wanted too. But I did here ity bitty crying alot. But it was really nice to have a room to myself! And the first day and night I had wonderful nurses! I'm not sure if I would have asked for a private room if I would have had to pay for it or not, maybe I just lucked out! Good Luck,
Unread 02-15-2002, 11:15 AM

Hello!
Definitely opt for a private room if you can even if you have to pay the difference between that and a semi-private. You will want the privacy, believe me! I know some folks don't mind being in a room with other people, but I have always preferred a private room. My hospital has a "women and childrens" unit. I was way back in a corner behind pediatrics. It was nice and quiet. I wasn't near the maternity unit. You may want to check with your hospital to see how it's set up. Good luck to you!
JuneBug

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register