Private or Semi-Private Room - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Private or Semi-Private Room Private or Semi-Private Room

Unread 02-15-2002, 11:29 AM
Private or Semi-Private Room

Private. I was in an oncology wing (thankfully my problem wound up being benign), but all of the rooms in this wing were private.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2002, 11:45 AM

HI, I had a semi-private room and had no problems. I was asked at pre-addmission if I wanted a private room, but it would have cost me 35.oo a night what insurance didnt pick up. I liked having the company when no one was visiting me. I was on the surgical unit so many different patients with different types of surgeries.

Kelly
Unread 02-15-2002, 12:44 PM

Hey Susie,
I was not fortunate enough to find this site before my surgery, so I had no idea you could request a private room. If I had known I would have asked for one, and I would have gladly paid the extra. But since I didn't know I had a roommate. I begged to go home early because I didn't like the idea of having a roommate, and I couldn't sleep well in there. He let me go early, but I should have stayed as long as I was suppose to because after I got home I developed a fever, and started throwing up.
Take Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2002, 07:35 PM
investigate, there may be no x-tra charge for private room

When I knew I would be in the castle, I called the billing dept, who said,that I should call the day b-4 surgery, no earlier, to see if I could have a private room. If there was space available, I would be given one at no x-tra charge. Call the gals in billing; they're always happy to give this message. Check your hospital for their policy.
Unread 02-17-2002, 10:44 AM

I requested a private room and was put in maternity where all rooms are private and I didn't have to pay, I was the only old broad, one of the young mothers walked by and peeked in my room and ask the nurse if " that older lady ( I was 50) had a baby" lol
Unread 02-17-2002, 11:08 AM

Hi SusieQ,

I also didn't know that I could have requested a private room - if it's a possibility for you, I would recommend it!!

I was on a surgical floor and my room-mate was an older lady (older even than I ) who had just had surgery for colon cancer. She wasn't able to find her nurse call-button most of the time and would call my name until I woke up (which was hard 'cause I was still on a morphine pump) and would ask me to call the nurses for her. I was glad that I could help her out, but was also glad when I was allowed to go home and get some un-interrupted sleep.

I'll be hoping that your surgery goes well.

Karen
Unread 02-17-2002, 11:43 AM
Private for me!

I am going for private room all the way!!! I don't care about the cost just let me be alone in my suffering. I am the type of person who attempts to be "strong" in front of others but leave me alone and I'm a bawling mess! I want to feel free to feel my feelings. Plus, I have five children and they are expressing an interest in coming to the hospital. I don't know yet if that will happen but I don't want my concerns over disturbing a roommate to make the decision for me.
Unread 02-17-2002, 01:56 PM
Private--Definitely

I was on the oncology floor and it's all private up there--small, and older, but private. Definitely, I recommend private! If you're tired, you can at least try to sleep without roommate disturbance; otherwise, can watch TV without disrupting someone else. Also, I clearly remember crying most of one night and I felt I could because I wouldn't disturb anyone else. The extra $$ is worth it!
Unread 02-17-2002, 01:57 PM

I had a semi-private room, and wish I had chosen a private room. Sometimes it's nice to have someone in with you to visit with, but it's not, when it's 2 in the morning! My roommate got up every couple hours, and it is quite disturbing, even though I know they can't help it..just hard to get your rest when someone is in the room with you.
Unread 02-19-2002, 05:46 PM
Hosptial.."no place to share"

I'm a post op gal of about 5 weeks. I asked and got a private room. Funny thing though, I had more visitors that I didn't know than the 2 consistant ones I did know!

1. Nursing Supervisor... "how'z it goin"?
2. Nursing Director...."just checking in"
3. Friendly candy striper w/the Wall Street Journal..
4. The meditation/music dept "We have a wide variety"
5. Oh, and the woman w/the guitar.."did I want to be sang to"
6. Lastly, the janitor that noted a stain on my curtain.

I will tell you, you won't feel like checking your stocks in the journal, playing politics with the nursing staff are not high on your list either; Meditation/music NOPE.. Did my fair share of singing the blues all on my own; The guitar player needed to go put on a bra and get OUT OF MY ROOM. And the wonderful little janitor.. bless his heart as I watched him change my curtain... Loop by loop, I think I saw my pulse beating through my chest with anxiety about him falling off the ladder...And crechendo'd into my first HOT FLASH

Someone get me some ICE CHIPS.. and some Kendall Jackson!

Good luck!

WendymacThere'sNoPlaceLikeHome!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register