Swelly Belly??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Belly??? Swelly Belly???

Unread 02-15-2002, 08:53 PM
Swelly Belly???

So what is this like? I can't imagine what I'm going to look like afterwards. The DR says my uterus is at 12 wks and I'm about 20 pounds overweight :confuse: Can it get worse than this??

To be perfectly honest, it's been 8 years since I stepped foot in a hospital and I've never even broken a bone. My births were all natural and the only reason I went to the DR now was because I just couldn't take it anymore...

How long before the swelling starts to go away? How come over-doing it makes tummies swell?? Is it hard to just lay there and rest or do you feel like getting up and doing something but can't because it's too sore?

Thanks so much for being there!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2002, 10:59 PM
Swelly Belly???

Hi JillB. I am still new to this so I can't tell you when it will go away but I can tell you what "swelly belly" is for me. I had a BSO and TVH with anterior & posterior repair plus resuspension on 2/4 so it's been 11 days now. I have this bloated feeling that gets worse as the day goes on and a little better with rest. It's not as bad as being pregnant, just bad enough that none of my preop pants fit although I can believe that they will at some point. I put on my loosest jeans the other day and it was too uncomfortable to sit in them. You might want to get a couple of pairs of stretchy, elastic waist pants to wear post surgery. For me it's sort of a balancing act because walking definitely helps get rid of the gas that (I think?) is part of the cause of the bloating, but if I walk too much I get tired and sore and my belly starts to swell anyway...my DR says everything in there is just "angry" from being worked on. I finally broke down the other night and ordered a pair of soft overalls from a catalog, figuring when I start driving I can wear those and I won't have a waistband digging in when I sit in the car...not exactly a good "look" for me but as my BF says "honey, as long as you're comfortable, that's all that matters". So I would say, do whatever you think it will take to make you comfortable. I took a really soft fleecy throw blanket and a short cotton nightgown and robe and slippers to the hospital with me even though I knew I didn't need them, but boy did it make me feel good to put them on especially when people were visiting and when they made me walk up and down the halls in the hospital. I'm sure other sisters have lots of ideas of how you can make it less scary and more comfortable for yourself. You are so lucky to have found this site before your surgery, I didn't find it until about a week post. Remember to pamper yourself and listen to your DR! Good luck, hope it goes wonderfully well and you have a smooth recovery.
Unread 02-16-2002, 09:46 AM
Swelly Belly???

Hi, Jill! After your 12 week size uterus is out, you will probably notice that your tummy is smaller, but maybe not right away. There is so much cutting, stitching, and pulling on internal anatomy, that everything gets swollen--some women have more swelling than others. It goes down slowly, and the worst of mine seemed gone after a couple months. Then each month after that it got a little better. I also lost about 10 lbs after surgery, so I look decent now (not pregnant!) Also, the HRT made some of the fat around my waistline redistribute to other areas, so that's better. If you're on your feet too much or doing too strenuous of activity, the swelling increases, as you are putting more strain and pressure on the healing tissues. That's why a lot of us noticed more swelling as the day went on. You can wake up to a fairly flat belly, but it swells as you're up and around. (Like a sprained ankle that swells if you keep walking on it.) So rest with your feet up for the first couple weeks, with only short easy walks during the day. Then slowly increase your activity, but nothing strenuous for the next 4-6 weeks. There are lots of threads where ladies discuss "swelly belly" and you can find them by going to "search" at the top of the page and typing that in under subject. Hugs and best wishes!
Ruthie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register