pre-0p nerves and questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-0p nerves and questions pre-0p nerves and questions

Unread 02-16-2002, 07:51 AM
pre-0p nerves and questions

hi, i'm chickadee, and i just found out Wed. that I'm gonna have surgery. I knew it was gonna happen cuz of all the symptoms but now it seems so real. I'm more nervous about what it's gonna be like after. I'm still waiting for the Dr. to call with the pre-op appt. I'm nervous even about it! I know I'm gonna be a basket case.
I could really use some words of encouragement. please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2002, 08:00 AM
Hi Chickadee

Girl you have come to the right place to get encouragement. I found this site after I had my surgery and I can say that it would have been hard to go through all the hrt etc. without these wonderful ladies. I can say however waiting is the worst part of this surgery. Of course all women are different and have a different surgery for each. even though they are the same surgery with each woman it is different. Clearing things up just keep reading and posting you will do just fine. And nerves are a must for this surgery. if you weren't nervous you should be worried. God Bless and keep us posted.
Unread 02-16-2002, 08:19 AM
thanks

this is chickadee again. alittle about myself. Since Jan. of 2001 I thought I was pre menopausal because I started having really really hard painful periods. They only lasted the usual amt. of time and I didn't think too much of it until Oct. of 2001, when i didn't stop bleeding for 2 mo. I figured I should go to Dr. at which time I found out I have a tumor appr. the size of a softball. I've been on estrogen since then to stop the bleeding. I really don't want to bleed anymore. At all. So I thought that the hysterectomy would be good. Now I'm just plain scared! I know it's the best thing for me, but, geez. I know I'm being a huge wimp and I'm normally not like this, I think I may be a tad depressed, not because I'm gonna lose my uterus, (so far that's all I'm losing,unless the pathology report is bad) Cuz, I'm not planning on using it anymore, and right now I feel like it's the enemy, what with all the pain and bleeding I've gone thru. I'm sorry I'm rambling on and I've just met you. My Dr. recommended this site, and I'm very happy he did, I feel a bit more comfy knowing all you wonderful sisters are there. I'll let you all know when my surgery is scheduled for as soon as i know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2002, 08:33 AM

hi chicadee,
i am also new to this site. i had my surgery on 2-7-02. it's
true that before is almost the worst part. i was Very nervous
also. it is better afterwards. the only problem for me is that
i'm so anxious to get back to normal. i should be enjoying
myself and i'm going to try. i was so glad to hear that your
doc recommended this site. i go back for my first check up on
monday. i plan to tell my doc all about this site so that she
can let other patients know. it has been so helpful to me!
i wish you the best!
Unread 02-16-2002, 03:18 PM
not news to me, pre-op

I found out Tuesday Feb 12, 2002, cervical cancer, TVH scheduled for 3-7-02. I'm only 31, although I knew in my own way it was coming, it was a bit of a shock to hear it from my doctor. Had all the other procedures to try and get rid of cancer, is spreading at an unbelievable rate and has to go.
Thank God I've had all my kids I wanted, and am lucky enough to have wonderful supportive husband.
This site is a God send for those of us desparate for REAL information, not the goobly gook the docs seem to spit out after doing this a million times, although I love my doc, he is a he and can't possibly really know what a shock, scare, confusing time, etc.
What can I expect at the pre-op, and check in?
Anyone out there have the cervical cancer experience?
ANY advice would be helpful.
Unread 02-17-2002, 07:02 PM

julie
i had a cervical cancer scare. when mine was found it was
in the moderate stage. my doctor (thankfully a she) did
the procedure to take care of it and supposedly it worked
but one of my last paps (which i was having every 3 months)
came back abnormal with taht and all the other problems
like endo,adhesions,and adneymosis we decided to go
ahead with a tvh. i'm glad its over now and i'm feeling
better. as for the pre-op it's a breeze unless you faint
when they take your blood(like i did--such a baby)ha ha
they will take your blood you will do the paper work and
you will talk to the nice person who will be putting you to
sleep! i thought maybe i was too young (29) but everyone
assured me i would feel like a new person when it was over.
so far so good! God bless you and i wish you the best. let
us know how things go.
Unread 02-18-2002, 05:40 AM

Hi Chickadee

Since we are nearly neighbors ( I am in Plymouth ) I wanted to touch base with you. I had to put off my hyst for 2 1/2 months, and that waiting period was awful! I guess I would say to get it over with as soon as you can. I had been in so much pain prior to the surgery, that I didn't take any post op pain meds. I feel so free, no bleeding, no pain! Life without all that baggage is great. Just remember to take care of yourself after surgery. Keep us posted!

Unread 02-18-2002, 06:57 AM
uterine cancer

Hi everyone,

I am here because I could really use any info and support I can find. I had a D&C the end of September for abnormal bleeding and was told I had endometrial hyperplasia with atypia which is supposed to be one stage from cancer. I really wanted to have children, so I took my slides to the U of M to interpreted by another pathologist. This pathologist said it was metaplasia (benign). I was really pleased because that was about the best I could hope for.

I had gone to another GYN during this time(absolutely didn't like the first) and she wasn't comfortable with the difference in diagnoses. The pathologist at U of M sent his report to the first pathologist who took it upon himself to send it to a third pathologist who diagnosed adenocarcinoma. I had wanted to keep my ovaries at the very least if I had to have a hyst, but that was before the cancer stuff. Now, I know they are going to want to remove my ovaries as well as probably do lymph node sampling. I am hoping that they aren't also going to want me to have chemo as well.

I've been on high doses of progesterone for about three months and I'm not sure which is playing more havoc with my emotions. It doesn't help that when I told my employer I was just told that I have cancer, she told me that I had better be prepared to go back to typing 40 hours a week or find another job (I've been doing more clerical duties because of problems with tendonitis).

I really truly am terrified of surgery. My luck with even minor procedures has not been terrific. I am so angry. If anyone else has been down this road before me, please let me know how you dealt with these issues.

I have an appointment with an oncologist/gynecologist this Friday at the University of Michigan. I am so tired of crying all the time, but it is hard not to. I figure I will probably end up having surgery in March which really isn't the best time for me. The first anniversary of my mother's death is in March as well as my wedding anniversary and my birthday. I am having trouble looking at this as a way to save my life, but I am going to have to get myself moving in that direction I guess. It has only been a week or so since I was told it was cancer, maybe I'm expecting too much of myself. I don't know.

Sorry this is so long, but I really needed to vent.

Carol
Unread 02-18-2002, 08:31 AM

Carol and Julie: I'd encourage you to check out the hystersisters forum called "Cancer Concerns." There are many ladies there who have had or are dealing with cancer and I think they can answer a lot of your questions and help you get through this.

Chickadee: I hear your anxiety and I feel for you. The pre-op testing is not a big deal unless you have trouble giving blood ... I'm a fainter myself, so I always ask to lie down while they draw blood and then I don't faint The nurses appreciate this information because they really don't like scraping someone off the floor! The pre-op appointment with your doc usually entails reviewing the details of your surgery and signing consent forms. Be sure to write down all your questions before this appointment. Your mind will be going crazy, so it helps to have a list. I also recommend that you have someone go with you to hear exactly what your dr tells you ... our minds have a way of checking out sometimes and the other person may remember things that you forget. My DH went with me and I was so glad that he heard the same things I heard about what was going to be done. Hang in there, the waiting is so hard for all of us. We're here for you, every step of the way, before and after surgery.

Beth
Unread 02-18-2002, 11:56 AM

Hi girls, it sure is a scary thing to be diagnosed with cancer but we do survive

I would love you to come to CANCER CONCERNS forum here on the hystersister site. There are quite a few of us who have cancer of some kind and know all the fears and emotions associated with it. Plus.......... we give great hugs you all take care,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register