Desperate for Advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Desperate for Advice Desperate for Advice

Unread 02-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Desperate for Advice

I am scheduled for a Laproscopic Hysterectomy (uterus only)on 7 March due to extremely heavy periods/anemia. My doctor also strongly suggests removal of my cervix. While I want the procedure to improve my quality of life, the removal of my cervix blows me away...is this what most of you have had? I'm afraid that at 38 I would be sexually disfunctional. I can't seem to find any info on this. Please help!!!!! TerrySue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Desperate for Advice

Hi Terry Sue

I had my cervix removed. I am 5 months post op and can not really tell any difference with it removed (sexually speaking that is).

But, it is really a decision you and your Dr. will need to make together. By the way, I am 41 years old.

Best of luck to you !
Unread 02-16-2002, 04:27 PM
Welcome

You have come to the right place for gathering information. Keep on reading and before your surgery date arrives you will be very prepared to face your castle experience as well as your recovery. I had a tah/bso 8 weeks ago including my cervix. I can tell you that it has definetly not made me sexually disfunctional! Infact, I feel wonderful and life is way better in that deptartment these days. Pre op I did not have much desire as flooding and cramping did not make for good foreplay. Stop in chat and talk awhile when you get a chance. The ladies there are a great source of info and support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2002, 05:29 PM
THANK YOU

I truly appreciate your input. I do not know anyone who had their cervix removed along with the vaginal hysterectomy and didn't know if there would be a noticeable difference with my anatomy. I have a great doctor who I trust, and his suggestion to have the cervix removed is based on "not having to come in for pap smears yearly" and the fact that I could still have vaginal bleeding monthly (spotting) and "why would you want that if you are having a hysterectomy for heavy bleeding". He also told me if this was his daughter or wife he would not want them to keep the cervix. I'm just very freaked out about that aspect, why I don't know. I am actually looking forward to being rid of my uterus, my quality of life with the heavy bleeding/clots, fatigue has been a lot to live with. This message board is wonderful, I am truly grateful to have someone to talk to that has gone thru this. TerrySue
Unread 02-16-2002, 05:45 PM
Desperate for Advice

This is a topic of great interest...you might try running a search using our search engine (little purple button at the top right of each page) on "cervix" etc. We've had many threads on it.

I had TAH/BSO (no cervix; no nothin') and for me there was no loss of sensation or function. Everything works just fine...no noticeable difference for me or my DH.

At first orgasms were a little "shallower" if that makes sense, but that passed pretty quickly. I think it was a function of nervousness, soreness, and everything settling into it's new space. Things are fine now...just as before.

Do your research, and if you decide you want to keep it, be frank with your doctor. Pap tests are no big deal, and many doctors will continue to do them anyway, just to be on the safe side...(testing for rare vaginal cancer, etc). Mine does. So that in itself is not a compelling reason to lose your cervix. And anyway, it would be a hassle (?) for you, not him, so what's he worried about?

Take your time with this one...it's your body and your decision.

Karen
Unread 02-16-2002, 05:55 PM
Desperate for Advice

Hi Terry Sue, you did not say what was causing the heavy bleeding/anemia. I had fibroids I am 12 wks post-op and Idid not want may cervix removed.

I had normal paps all my life and no history of cancer in my family. I did not have the spotting or mini periods as the call them (they are very rare)not everyone gets them. I did not have painful intercourse at all.

Many women have their cervix removed for that reason. Read as much as you can. I found a very good book before my Hyst
call

Hysterectomy:Before & After by Winnifred B. Cutler, Ph.D

I got it a Book-a-Million. It's your decision.

Jocelin
Unread 02-16-2002, 07:15 PM
Desperate for Advice

My doctor (who is a woman, originally from Denmark and , hence, a bit less traditionally American, but on staff at a huge NY hospital) , said I should keep the cervix because it helps the internal "structure." Paps are really no big deal if you are responsible and remember to go once a year. I'm going to keep my cervix and have all else removed in 2 weeks.

good luck with your decision.
marion
Unread 02-16-2002, 07:39 PM
Desperate for Advice

Thanks for all your advice. It is so very very helpful. Jocelyn, you had asked what the cause of the heavy periods is...well they can't find anything on the sonograms except a enlarged uterus. I've always had heavy periods, but after my second child, they've become truly scary at times (on two occasions I almost called 911). The fatigue is overwhelming at times. I gave birth to two large boys, 11lbs, 2oz. (yes, vaginally) and 9lbs, 3 oz. (the doctor induced 3 weeks early due to size) which could account for the enlarged uterus. I do have some small cysts on my right ovary which they are going to check out during surgery, but the cause for surgery is the heavy bleeding. And yes, I have looked at all the alternatives, I can not tolerate birth control, and my doctor did discuss the ablation surgery, however I know it isn't always successful. We discussed this at length and I just felt that at 38 years old I want to get it done and over with and not have to keep worrying about going out and hemorraging in public (it happens a lot). As for my cervix, I really don't mind the yearly exams, but if it doesn't change anything, I well...I still don't know what I'm going to decide on that. I will read the suggested threads and make up my mind somehow. You guys are great to talk to. The advice means everything. TerrySue
Unread 02-17-2002, 06:44 PM
Desperate for Advice

Hi TerrySue,

I am also having my Uterus and Cervix removed. My Sx date is 3/4. I have so many questions for my Doc at the pre-op. One of them is why take the cervix? I did have some pre-cancerous cells that they removed via the loop procedure. All paps have been fine since then. Maybe it's a precaution?

I was also thinking, where does it stop anyways? I guess they sew your vagina shut up there. Kindof freaky when you think about it.

Keep me informed on your decision or what you find out.

God Bless you and take care!

Tracy
Unread 02-17-2002, 07:19 PM
Desperate for Advice

Tracy,
You really made me laugh because I thought the same thing. I mean if it's sewn shut at the top, wow, that is more than freaky. Even more sick is a friend of mine asked me if your uterus is gone where does the semen go after intercourse? AHHHH, I have no idea. It's definately a wierd concept. I have had no irregular pap smears (well one where I was given some gel and it was fine the next visit) but nothing pre-cancerous. I told my doctor that when I told him I was weary of removing my cervix and he told me he strongly advised it and that if the uterus is going, there is no need for the cervix (removal would not be noticed and it would alleviate yearly exams and spotting that may or may not occur with the cervix left in. He also said he would definately want his wife or daughter to have the cervix removed if they were having a hysterectomy). I trust his opinion, and it is truly not a blind trust, but the I don't like the thought of the cervix being removed. I don't know why that is my sticking point with this surgery. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE AND WHAT YOUR DOCTOR SAYS!!!!! And thanks for helping me. TerrySue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register