Desperate for Advice - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Desperate for Advice Desperate for Advice

Unread 02-17-2002, 07:50 PM
Desperate for Advice

OK, I'll give you the famous TP Tube Analogy!

Picture your vagina as a toilet paper tube. Got that? Now, picture the top of the tube flattened and stitched across the top. Then picture it anchored in place with ligaments. Ta da! That's what it looks like afterward. (sort of, in a bizarre toilet paper world)

The semen comes back out, just like it did before, only a little bit faster.

Keep researching your options re: leaving or keeping the cervix. If you feel there is no good reason to lose it, and there is no medical reason other than the inconvenience (??) of yearly paps, and you want to keep it, then keep it!!!!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 05:19 AM
Desperate for Advice

It is my understanding that whether the cervix is removed or not, yearly paps are a must, so I wouldn't use that argument as part of my decision criteria. Unfortunately, I still have two weeks before I can give any advice on the sex stuff! All of my friends who have had hysts declare it to be no different or better than before! One of the thoughts I might entertain would be if you had one abnormal pap smear, could that happen again and would that result in a second surgery? Myself, I told the doctor to clean house while he was in there, I didn't plan to return! It is a difficult, personal decision and I wish you luck in doing what you are most comfortable with.

Unread 02-18-2002, 06:07 AM
Cervix

Hello there TerrySue

I would also like to share with you my own experience. After i had a Lap, D&C endo biopsy, & large cyst removal my ob/gyn informed me i had high level dysplasia and possible Adenomyosis. Due to the dysplasia i had no choice but have the cervix removed. I also had fear strike me down about this and mostly (sexual side effects)

Well it is 8 1/2 weeks post op and my cervix is a thing of my past. I can not even tell its gone. As far as sex goes (wink wink) it is awesome!. There are no lubrication problems and the big "O" is just as good if not better

As for the misconception of no yearly gyn visits and smears? Not true. You still have to have them as always . My gyn said at my post op visit "See you next year Michele"

I truly feel this is a personal choice. It can also be a no choice situation (medical reasons) Be as informed as possible and pow wow with your Dr about what is best for you

Take care and be well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 06:08 AM
Desperate for Advice

I am also 38 and I had my cervix removed and was just as worried and upset about it as you. I thought for sure something might be lost in "that" area. All the posts I saw here made me realize that very few women feel a difference. I kept wondering if having it removed was the minority. I had an abdominal, but realized that anyone who has a vaginal hyst HAS to have the cervix removed. There's alot of vag hysts and everybody seems to be happy, so here I am.

I am able to resume activities this week (I'm a little scared), I can tell that things are still functioning down there. It's wierd the things that will trigger a tingle . I also worried about dryness or normal secretions. I seem to have normal secretions and I think being on estrogen (lost ovaries) keeps all that going.

It's an individual decision. Do what feels right to you. I just didn't want to worry about it becoming diseased. One less thing to worry about.
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:22 AM
Removal of Cervix?

My pcp said he would be willing to do my surgery. But he wanted to just remove the ovaries and uterus. He wants to leave the cervix since the "old thoughts" that leaving it would lead to cervical cancer have been disproven. He thought that he would like to leave as much as possible. I have no surgery date thus far. I am still in the talking stages. I believe I have uterine prolapse. I go to see pcp in 2 weeks to get examined. My former gyn is against a hysto--he says I'm too young! I'm 41 and have 4 teenagers. How can that be too young???

Good luck on March 7!
Unread 02-18-2002, 04:13 PM
cervix

I am having SAH on Mar 1 (for huge fibroids). I am planning on keeping my ovaries, cervix and anything else that looks OK. I would like to know why your doctors said they would want their wives to have their cervix removed? My doctors (and I have seen several) said that I could keep my cervix since I've never had an abnormal pap smear, and that now we know that cervical cancer is an STD. But since I am 45, married/monogamous, I am at no risk. So, are the doctors running around, or they think that their wives are? Or have I been misinformed?
Unread 02-18-2002, 04:39 PM
Read them all and now an opinion!

Hi TerrySue, I read all the replies and each sister has heard different things from their DRs. I let my DR decide what to remove and what not to. she removed everything. partly because of my age 51 and mainly because of the problems I was having I was bleeding heavy and cramps that you wouldn't believe unless you have had nail biting flesh tearing pain. I suffered so long I decided to let my gyn do the what ever I didn't need thing. I don't regret it as I too heard from my DR that you can and most often will have mood swings and spotting if you have your ovaries and cervix. That in no way means I think you should have yours taken out. That is a decision you should make. Try to read as much of the experiences as you can and see if it makes you feel more comfortable one way or the other. As for sex my big Os are no different. In fact if anything they are better. My urge was always there so if your cervix has anything to do with that evidently mine was not doing what it was suppose to before they removed it. God Bless keep us updated on what is happening with you.
Unread 02-18-2002, 04:42 PM
Desperate for Advice

I was told by my Dr. that doing a Supra-cervical Hyst was a little more difficult to do than TAH because the have to know the exact spot to cut.

He told me he had done a few and that if I wanted to keep my cervix I could.

My sister (who is a nurse-mid wife) said jokingly that doctors get paid by the number of parts they take out.

Jocelin
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:18 PM
CatLady....

My cousin had cervical cancer. She is a nun. I can assure she never had any STD. So, yes, you have been misinformed. There are so many myths about cancer and it's causes.

Many women prefer to have their cervix removed because you can have 'mini' periods by keeping your cervix. It may not be common, but it does happen and we have a gal on the chat team dealing with that right now.

As for me, my cervix was removed and I think things are better now. I think it got in the way before.

Best of luck with your decision.

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:50 PM
Desperate for Advice

Thank you all for so much input! This board has really gotten to the heart of my concerns. My doctor has strongly suggested this, NOT because I have had any irregular pap smears, multiple partners, etc. (in fact I've been married 13 years) and have had only 3 partners (I'm 38). He just really felt that there is no reason why if he is removing the uterus, and because there is a chance I could have mini periods, and the "who knows what the future may bring irregular pap smears/cervical cancer", why I would not want the removal. I believe when he said he would want his wife or daughters (he has 3) to have theirs removed if they were having a hysterectomy is because of those reasons. He did tell me it was completely up to me, but he also said just removing the uterus takes less time, so if that's what I want, it's a more simpler surgery than removing the cervix. Anyone else have any input on that? I've read to replies that dispute that. I know it's the "cap" to the vagina, but (excuse my ignorance) is it the "lead in/beginning of" the uterus. Is that why it usually goes along with the uterus? Anyone?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register