donut pillow and bolsters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

donut pillow and bolsters donut pillow and bolsters

Unread 02-16-2002, 07:17 PM
donut pillow and bolsters

In the pull down info for Pre Op it suggested that we buy a donut pillow for post-surgery comfort. I can't figure out why. Since this isn't an operation for hemorhoids, I wonder , why a donut pillow?

Also, on pillows: friends suggested bolsters for semi-reclining in bed. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what kind to buy and where?

thanks!!
marion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2002, 07:34 PM

Marion - I had tah/bso with no additional repairs and didn't need a donut pillow. Just depends on what you're having done.

I recovered on pull out couch/bed since I have a water bed and didn't think I could get in and out of that comfortably...and just used lots of regular pillows. Several behind my head, one or two beside me, one for under knees to reposition my back while propped up, and last but not least.. one for my tummy
Unread 02-17-2002, 07:36 AM

I am 8 weeks post and never wanted a do-nut pillow even with the posterior repair! At some point I enjoyed having a bed pillow to sit on . That was enough.

I just used regular pillows to prop myself up when I wanted to.

When I came home, I slept in our spare bedroom (our bed is high and soft, the spare is lower and firmer, and downstairs, too) with the bed against the wall so I could lean and have support.

When I was on my SIDE I liked a pillow behind my back, and another between my knees, plus a small one supporting my tummy . When I was on my BACK, I liked pillows under my knees and lower legs. That seemed to take the stress off my abdomen. The nurses said, " Oh yeah, you're the one who likes your pillows this funny way." when they helped me the first day or so. HEY ! It worked great for me. THE IDEA IS TO BE COMFORTABLE.

You can ask for extra pillows in the hospital if you don't have enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 09:21 AM

Hi, Marion,

I had a TVH/BSO, and I never felt the need for a donut pillow, either. I used lots of regular pillows to get comfortable in bed or on the sofa. Unless you'd normally use a bolster, I wouldn't bother. I did appreciate the new pillows my DH bought for me while I was in the hospital, though! I vote for stocking up on fluffy new pillows, if you feel the need to shop.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:14 AM
Donut pillow

Hi
I bought a donut pillow since I was having "A&P" repair. Tried it two or three times, but it wasn't comfy at all. Felt I wasted my money on it.
Just putting pillows where I felt comfy was the best. Hubby fixed the hide-a bed with a foam egg crate mattress and lots of pillows for me when watching TV or resting during the day.
At night I was able to sleep just fine in my own bed with only a couple of pillows that I moved to whereever they were needed.
I think bolster pillows might be too hard - better to have several soft pillows that you can mold to whatever you want.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:28 AM
No donut here!

Marion,

My DH bought me a "boomerang" pillow from Walmart. It was in an L shape (shaped like a boomerang). It was great! One end I could put under my knees when I laid on my back and rest one arm on it. OR I could use it to lay on my side and hug so I could prop myself up, put one end between my knees. It was great. A body pillow that is the length of your body is great also! I wore one of those out when I was pregnant with my last child.

You just need pillows to make yourself comfortable. When you lie flat in bed with your knees flat, it tends to pull on your incision.
A pillow under your knees takes the pressure off of your tummy!

Hope this answered your question !

Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register