Food! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-17-2002, 12:41 AM
Food!

Okay, this is a VERY important subject (at least for me it is).

Any of you LIWs wondering about what you will eat in the hospital? Have you been having cravings? Are there snacks or beverages you are planning to take with you when you go? Is it even allowed? I guess I should ask, huh?

And any of you ladies who are post - what/when did you eat after surg? My hospital actually has pretty good food, but I am wondering, will I even want to eat post surg? And if I'm hungry, can my friends smuggle stuff in to me if I don't like what is on the hospital menu?

I'm planning on taking some candy, and some instant coffee to spike that fake coffee they have in the hospital. BLECCCH!! There isn't enough caffeine in that stuff to even begin to jump start me in the morning.

Also, when you posties got home, what were the foods you really enjoyed eating and didn't give you any tummy problems? Just trying to plan ahead here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 01:14 AM
FOOD

Hey Sis,

As you know my dh is planning on bringing in prime rib for me from our favorite resturant. I am also planning on bringing a 6 pack of pepsi. I know everyone is shuddering and gasping OH NO the gas, but i drink it warm and flat. I don't think it will cause as much of a problem and it is the only thing i drink.

I will let you know later what I want after surgery.

Morgan
Unread 02-17-2002, 03:26 AM
Food!

Hey My Soul Sistah!!!!!!!! :dance2:

I think you should ask the doc what would be acceptable in this case. I ve heard a lot of ladies say they really dont feel up to eating much after but ya never know! Just ask doc cant hurt!

Talk to ya soon hun!
Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 03:51 AM
Eating at the castle

Well hmm. This one is interesting. I did take some bottled water with me. I hate tap water (picky i know LOL). As for food. My bf said he would gladly bring me anything i wanted. It was a chore to get me to eat jello let alone anything else. My appitite was dead in the castle. Maybe cuz the food there was stinky? LOL i am not sure the reasons. I just know i was not overly hungry for the first week postop. Between the pain meds and the gas food lost its appeal.

Every one is different, Your body will let you know if your up to any meals other than bland yuck! lol

Take care and be well
Unread 02-17-2002, 05:23 AM
Food!

Hi Ladies!

Just to share my experience, I didn't want to have anything to do with any food while I was in the castle. Surprising for me, since I normally LOVE food!

The DR will determine what your diet needs to consist of in the hospital and will be able to tell you if you can eat food brought in. sidebar: you might be sorry if ya drink those sodas!

Home from the castle, I stocked up with popsicles and italian ice -- I have to have that sort of stuff when I'm not feeling well. I tried to stay away from anything binding, like cheese. Soups were a big item. Oatmeal, fruit cocktail, prunes ---yes, prunes (I can't stand prune juice and I knew I needed some kind of substance to help ward off constipation)....toast/english muffins, cereal...tuna....

Stock up on things you like that are easy to prepare. Many women find the appetite isn't much the first week or so, so foods you like best will be the ones I would have on hand if I were you, because it's also important that you do get the nutrients your body needs during your recovery and healing.

Best wishes! Hope this helps! (?)

(((((((HUGS to all you LIWs)))))))
Unread 02-17-2002, 07:02 AM
Food!

I didn't get much to eat in the hospital. I was on clear liquids for 2 days. I'm a coffee drinker...but after hyst. coffee didn't appeal to me at all. Took several weeks before I wanted any. For some reason taste buds are affected..or at least mine were. Everything seemed salty...and things I normally liked I didn't for several weeks after surgery.

I didn't have much of an appetite when I got home..but tried to eat little helpings of soft foods...like mashed potatoes, mac. & cheese, dressing, little individual containers of jello, applesauce, peaches, ravioli, etc. Those little individual containers were wonderful for snacking...and there's soooo many to choose from at the store. You'll need to stay away from gasy foods for awhile. No carbonated drinks (I learned the hard way)

I also sent dh to store for some "ensure" the liquid meal...for when I didn't feel like eating anything. My dh also cut up, washed and put in baggies...celery, carrots etc. for quick snacks that were nutritious.

It's not that you have to eat big meals..but you will need nutritious foods to snack - stay away from foods containing lots of calories since you'll be inactive for awhile.

Don't forget fiber foods...party mix was my favorite...and little bowls of dry cereal to snack on.

Also....drink LOTS and LOTS of water. That's a must
Unread 02-17-2002, 08:56 AM
Liquids

I too am planning on my menu before and after surgery. After reading these posts, I want to make sure that I have the right foods on hand. I was wondering if by having liquids (protein drinks/slimfast/ensure etc. would be hard to pass. I currently have problems with going and am afraid that after the surgery, It will be worse and cause a lot of pain. I was planning on a liquid diet starting on Sunday (2/24)
Unread 02-17-2002, 09:25 AM
Liquid meal replacements & food

Okay I am planning on bringing my own bottled water I drink about 80 oz a day now and I hope to stay well hydrated the day before and as soon as I can drink water I'm going to be at it. Also going to have dh bring in yogurt and cran juice so I can have the juice throughout the day.. hoping this will help starve off any urninary infections from the cath. At home I too was wondering about liquid meal replacements... anyone know of any really good ones??... right now I can't have them because of the soy (soy helps fibroids grow and since I'm overweight dr said overweight women shouldn't eat soy products.. in fact that is what helped my fibroids grow and develop I think... I use to eat ALOT of soy stuff... I'm having my ovaries removed also so I'm hoping soy products will be ok after but will check with dr.
I'm also exercising alot more these days.. I usually do 30 mins a day but I've increased it to 50 mins a day since I know it will help me now with the surgery and I won't be able to do much for a while afterwards... I think that will be the worse part... no being able to workout.. I LOVE to workout and since the news of my having the hyster. I've added yoga and I LOVE it ... It really centers me.
dh has the flu or some virus and I'm so paranoid about getting sick.. i've had my flu shot last nov. so I should be ok but still I worry cuz he got one too... I'm having my "procedure" on March 27 so I should be safe and free from his "germs" LOL and I am driving him nuts making him wash his hands, gel his hands..etc....
anyway I'd love to know if anyone has any good liquid meal replacements.. If I remember Met Rx was pretty good but pretty $$$ too and I am spending sooo much in getting ready for this surgery.. I need a new Robe.. my old one is WAYYY to big for me.. (I've lost 80 lbs since I first got it) and a new pretty pair of jammies and a few pair of undies that are a size larger.. I GLADLY threw those out as soon as they got big on me..
anyway I am so thankful for you all.. have a great week,
kara
Unread 02-17-2002, 10:33 AM
FOOD FOOD AND MORE FOOD

Let me start by saying that I did NOT have a special diet after surgery. I recover from the sleeping meds very easy. I was NEVER so happy when I saw them bring in my dinner!!! I ate everything on my tray and wanted more!!! I eat ALL the time anyway. I love food. I would have eaten more when I got home if I had been the one to prepare dinner. I did eat a lot of fast food and even that STUFF my DH made. I had a neighbor bring me over 1/2 gal of soup and I ate all of that. I also had soda in the hospital. I mixed it 3-1 with water. 3 parts water to 1 part soda to avoid the gass. To me anything tastes much better than just PLAIN water.
Ok I know I am the only one so far that has said that she ate. But thats what I did. I ate everything I could get my HANDS on!!!
Wish you luck.
Angela
Unread 02-17-2002, 11:03 AM
Food!

I smuggled in a four-pack of Starbucks' bottled coffees, a few apples, chips and crackers, tea bags, gum and mints. Turns out my hospital fed me so well I didn't need any of it. Mostly I was afraid of the caffeine-withdrawal headaches, but didn't have a problem with that.

I did sneak a couple of cookies that a friend brought before I was allowed solid foods. (Naturally one *should* follow doctor's orders though...)

A tip on ordering from the hospital menu - just because they have things divided up into "main course" "salad" "bread" etc., doesn't mean you have to order one from each category. Some days I ordered 3 salads (different kinds) 2 muffins, and 4 drinks. I'd eat some right away, and snack on the rest.

If you aren't on a restricted diet you can have friends bring you stuff. When my Grandma was in the hospital years ago, getting flavorless mush for food, I brought her big corned-beef-on-rye sandwiches (her *favorite*) from a great deli. Did her a world of good, I think. Of course, you'll probably want to stick to milder foods at first.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register