Food! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-17-2002, 11:19 AM
der food subject

Hey Gio!
What I'd say is bring snacky stuff you like and you think you'd like even if your stomach was unsettled. Then ask your Dr. generally about what you're ok'd to eat after you have your surgery. My dr said anything was ok since I had passed gas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Food!

I was in for 5 days and had only ice chips for 3 days... they were sooooo good (apparently). They didn't even OFFER me any food until morning 4 and I had some orange jello and that was it... there was something white on the tray... but I didn't even try it... did not want coffee at all even though I love to drink it.... but a suggestion I had read on these posts was mint tea so I had brought some of that and that was my mainstay the rest of the time in the hospital AND when I got home (even though I was never a fan of hot tea I surely became one)... food was the LAST thing I wanted for about 2 weeks... my friends would call up and wonder if they could bring something over and the very thought of it would bring shudders. My daughter made sure I at least ate some soup... she was like some soupcop... most annoying but I'd eat part of it, put it in the fridge... then she'd find it, heat it up and make me eat more. I wish I STILL had that kind of appetite : )
I, also, had filled the pantry before my surgery thinking I'd want it (had surgery on 19th of Dec. so Christmas dinner was in my thoughts pre-surgery)... at least I haven't had to go to the grocery store for awhile!! So plan all you want, because everyone is different... if you don't want it right after the surgery, it'll be there when you do!
Unread 02-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Food!

Before I tell you what I did, I just want to remind you not to eat anything before the dr tells you it's ok, or it could come back up. The anesthesia causes the bowels to stop & before they start back, any food that goes in the tummy will just sit there or come back up. That's why they listen for bowel sounds after surgery.

I know they say carbonation causes gas, but anytime I've had surgery, I've always wanted my Diet Coke first thing & I have done fine with it. As a matter of fact, I think it helped me since it can cause burping . I had my dh bring me in a small cooler of Diet Cokes so I could have one whenever I wanted after my hyst.

Some hospitals keep snacks like soup, sandwiches, etc. on hand in case patients get hungry in between meals or in case there are patients like diabetics who need something on a regular schedule. My favorite person while at the castle was the nurse tech who brought me chocolate frozen yogurt each night.

The day I was discharged, I did not like the breakfast I was served, so I called dh & he stopped at a restaurant on his way to see me & picked up something with flavor.

Another thing you may want to consider taking are lollipops. The anesthesia & pain meds can dry out your mouth. A friend gave me a tootsie roll pop when she came to visit. It really helped. I would be careful about sucking on small pieces of candy though. After my friend left & I was still enjoying my sucker, I dozed off with it in my mouth. When I awoke, it was lying on my chest. If it had been something small & without the stick to help weight it down the other direction, it could have slipped down my throat & possibly caused choking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 01:52 PM
Food--Ugh!

I started a whole thread on this in January. While I would definitely recommend avoiding "smuggled in" food unless until the doctor gives the OK to eat a normal diet I cannot recommend hospital food. I started out on the flavorless (no matter what color) gelatin, salty "cow hoof" broth and very acid juice I can't handle due to esophageal erosion--so most of the first trays I got went back untouched. For regular food--we in the place I use do NOT get a menu to choose from. A dietary aide comes and asks what you don't like and they work from that (although not 100% I might add, but at least they got the "if it's not kosher, don't bring it" part right) and then you take what they send up--and that's about it. No choice. The 15 pounds I lost in 9 days was not all surgical! Interestingly, they do make different things--a second time I was in for a day (first chemo) I said I don't eat fish and the aide said that was what was for dinner, so I told her not to bring a tray because the smell makes me nauseated--no problem, they also were doing chicken--but they don't give you a choice? I'd go out to the cart to get more coffee and would be amazed at the amount of uneaten stuff returned to the cart. So, if someone can bring you food, ASK THE DOCTOR if it's OK and go for it--so you know what you're getting is edible.
Unread 02-17-2002, 02:18 PM
Food!

Just a head's up on Slimfast...it's very gassy! It may be good for constipation, but if want to avoid as much gas as possible while post-op, ix-nay on the Slimfast for awhile.

Also, about water...I buy flavored water (I think it's Clearly Fresh or Fresh and Clear or something like that) at Walmart. I mix it 1 part flavored water to 3 parts plain water so it reduces the carbonation which I don't like. But it leaves enough flavor that I can easily drink my 8+ glasses per day.

My Castle appearance is arriving 3/27. TAH/ovarian cysts
Unread 02-17-2002, 02:52 PM
Food!

Wow! You ladies are grrrrrrrrreat!

I'll check with the docs before I go in for surg about bringing in 'contraband'. Just so it doesn't get confiscated by the hospital food olice: .

Great suggestions about snack size and single serving portions on hand at home. I've been concentrating on the food I'll be preparing ahead of time for my daughter, stuff I can nuke for her dinners etc., but didn't really think about little snacky type stuff for me. I wonder now after reading all the replies if I will even have that much appetite, but I know after my transfusion in January I was RAVENOUS!! I ate everything on my trays and then some.

I had also thought about some kind of liquid meal replacer, but those things make me even when I'm feeling good, so I'll be passing on them.

Making my lists for the castle and post-op now, so if there are any more ideas, suggestions, experiences, please add them here.

See you later, gators!
Unread 02-17-2002, 02:55 PM
Food!

...food

Darn smilies commands.

Unread 02-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Flavored water

If you like flavored water, try the new clear Gatorade in strawberry. I have never liked Gatorade, but during a recent illness I tried this new flavor. It is almost like drinking water - much lighter than the usual Gatorade. With ice it is very refreshing and keeps the body fluids in balance.

Rayna
Unread 02-17-2002, 05:07 PM
Food!

Giofog: here's a cautionary tale about food and consequences. Like most of you, I love to eat, eat, eat. I had my SAH on Thursday, Jan. 31st, 2002 and went home that Sunday. After being on a liquid diet in the hospital for two day and regular hospital food for one day, I was starved when I got home. Good friends had already come by our house and left dishes and dishes of food (lasagna, beef, chicken, rice, salad) and I was thrilled.

On Sunday night, I ate with reckless abandonment; on Monday I did the same. On Tuesday, I paid for it. I felt so stuffed, uncomfortable, nauseous and had extremely painful gas pains. I went to the restroom; had a strained BM;stood up and then "everything" came up. I threw up three times!! DH was very sweet, comforted me and cleaned up everything. I called my doctor's office and the nurse very nicely explained that after abdominal surgery (probably surgery in general), it is very important to reintroduce solid foods slowly and cautiously. She said I probably should have started off with more bland foods and definitely should have watched my portion size.

Hope my story doesn't gross anyone out, but just wanted to warn you to be a little careful.

Also, waiting is the worse part. Except for that little incident and a head cold I developed this past week, my recovery has gone pretty well. Needless to say, after the "hurling" on Tuesday, I didn't have much of an appetite for several day; however banana popsicles have always been my safe harbor.

Alabelle
Unread 02-17-2002, 05:13 PM
Food!

Hi, Giofog,

Everybody seems to have different ideas about what food to bring to the hospital. Personally, I'd leave the food at home. I brought too much stuff to the hospital, and didn't use a lot of it.

Hospital food isn't great, but if you find that you're hungry in the hospital (I wasn't, and I love good food) then ask a family member to bring in whatever you're craving, if your doctor's orders allow for that food.

I entered the hospital with one small bag of personal items, and it took my DH two trips to carry all of the stuff I'd accumulated in the hospital out the car. That was after an overnight stay! I'm glad I didn't sneak in the kitchen pantry, too.

Best wishes,
Helen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register