??? on hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

??? on hospital stay ??? on hospital stay

Unread 02-17-2002, 05:43 AM
??? on hospital stay

Hey all....I am getting closer and closer to my castle stay and while I have purchased many of the items suggested on the site for my recovery period, I am not sure how much of these things I need to take to the hospital with me. I don't want to overpack (a common problem for me) but I don't want to be without something I may need. For those who have been there, did you have the time or the desire in the hospital for books, easy crafts, etc??? If I show up at the front door the morning of my surgery loaded down for a weeks vacation instead of a 3 day hospital stay my husband is going to have a fit!

I am also going to be there by myself most of the stay since husband will have to be home tending to the kids. Does that present any challenges or issues that you can think of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 05:55 AM
??? on hospital stay

Linda - I'm notorious for over packing too. I took a book but with all the drugs...didn't even pick it up

I took comfy clothes to come home in (actually I just wore my nightshirt and robe)...slip on house shoes (non skid), toiletries, CHAPSTICK, socks, bigger sized panties, pads, electronic handheld yahtzee game (for playing while waiting for surgery), pencil and paper to write down what the drs. and nurses told me...and names of nurses I wanted to remember for one reason or another.

I wore hospital gown while I was there. I really didn't need that much...didn't shower until I got home..so didn't use shampoo.

I wished I'd put my tummy pillow in the car for ride home - to put under seat belt. I just held seat belt away from incision. The hospital loaned me a tummy pillow while there.
Unread 02-17-2002, 06:00 AM
??? on hospital stay

Hi Linda!

Great questions! To share my own experience, I took a book and some little games like crossword puzzles, etc. but I didn't even take them out of my bag. I found I didn't feel like reading or playing; I was dozing off every few minutes and couldn't focus on anything remotely cerebral in my happy haze.

Pack light. Personal toiletries, panty changes, maybe some pads in case you are spotting, maybe your own comfy nightie, slippers, tummy pillow.... backscratcher came in handy for me.

Further, I was alone most of the time in the castle and was perfectly fine with it, thanks to my wonderful nurses. Actually, I did not feel like having anyone there as I dozed in and out - I didn't want to feel like I had to stay up and chipper to entertain visitors.

Hope this helps!

(((((((Hugs)))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 06:00 AM
??? on hospital stay

I personally didn't feel like reading or anything like that. Too much brain fog, I wore comfty clothes so I could also wear them home, lets face it you get dressed go to hospital and get undressed. I brought a nice robe and slippers and ended up using the hospital gown instead of my own pjs. I didn't really feel up to much company, so I don't think that will be a problem. When I felt the need I call my dear b.f (who was taking care of my kids) and talked to him for a bit and felt better. Best wishes to you, you will do great.
Unread 02-17-2002, 06:11 AM
??? on hospital stay

I agree with the others. I am big into crafts and reading, I didn't take any craft things with me but I took a book and I never even picked it up.
Actually I think you may be better off being alone in the castle than having a lot of visitors. I had surgery on a Fri afternoon and Saturday afternoon my dh, my mom, and several friends stopped by................all I wanted to do was sleep and I felt like I had to stay awake to chat with them since they were nice enough to come and see me. You're better off if you can get some rest -- especially since they wake you every few hours to take your temp and your blood pressure!
You really won't need much.......clothes to wear home (loose and comfortable!), sanitary pads (you may be spotting and the hospital bads are horribly thick and bulky), your own nightie if you want it -- I sleep in t-shirts and changed to one the day after surgery with the nurse's help and was much more comfortable than in their backless shapeless thing), a bathrobe and slippers for when they make you walk down the hall,hairbrush and toothbrush & toothpaste. Lip gloss -- my lips got really dry. Eyeglass case, in my case. The pillow in the car on the way home is a MUST!! MY dh brought our travel pillow.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!
Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
cyst, fibroids, endo, adeno, adhesions
.625 premarin
Unread 02-17-2002, 07:49 AM
??? on hospital stay

Toonces...wished I'd taken a back scratcher to scratch my legs underneath those pump thingys...since morphine made me itch terribly AND I couldn't reach my legs
Unread 02-17-2002, 09:37 AM
THANK YOU!

Thanks all for the wonderful replies! It was exactly what I needed to hear. I have cross stitch projects to work when I get home and I am stocking up on magazines and books but I really had a feeling I wouldn't need them at the hospital.

Here's what my bag includes (but I am going to try to find that back scratcher you all were talking about!):

Robe for walking the halls
Slip on slippers
Eye mask incase roomie and I don't agree on sleeping patterns
Sanitary pads--juts in case
Gax-X (After I OK it with my doctor)
Chapstick
Changes of large and comfy undies
Address book with numbers--in case I want to talk
Brush,comb and hair scrunchie to fix up hair if needed
Socks
Shampoo/conditioner
Mouthwash, toothbrush and toothpaste

I guess I need to remind my husband to bring a pillow when he picks me up. Hopefully, I am all set. Just slightly panicked and hoping that being prepared will help! Thanks again for all your input!
Unread 02-17-2002, 11:20 AM
??? on hospital stay

Hi Linda,

I can think of only a couple of other items that you might want to have with you.

Some body or hand lotion. My skin gets very dry and I was glad I had brought some with me.

Also, if you are going to be there for 2 or 3 days, you might want your own gown instead of their open-backed ones.

Good luck - it sounds as if you're going to have everything all ready, and that's great!!

Karen
Unread 02-17-2002, 12:12 PM
Don't forget the lotion!

One of my life savers had to be the lotion.....the kind you get at Victoria's Secret or Bath and Body Works....the yummy smelling kind. One of the nurses told me she loved taking care of younger women because they usually have all those girlie things like lotion, and they smell good. Hospitals arn't known for smelling great and after laying there a while, smelling good is a great way to lift your spirits. And it sure doesn't hurt when that inevitable gas kicks in .

I pretty much enjoyed my hubby being home with the kids. I liked the peace and quiet and really didn't feel like visiting.

Good luck!

Too young, Utah

2002 Winter Olympics!!!!
Unread 02-17-2002, 02:38 PM
??? on hospital stay

Linda

You may want to bring ear plugs. I had a roommate who watched tv into the early morning hours. Even tho she kept it low, I was glad to have the earplugs.

Good luck with your surgery. Remember to drink lots of water, walk and REST.

Jane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register