Fibroid and Uterus size??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroid and Uterus size??? Fibroid and Uterus size???

Unread 02-17-2002, 10:30 AM
Fibroid and Uterus size???

I've read here that some women have been told that their fibroids have caused them to have a uterus the size of pregnant women (varying stages/months) My question is: what is the normal size (range) of the uterus?? My doctor didn't seem alarmed by the sonogram results, although we did discuss the findings weren't normal and warranted further action. I'm wondering how far from 'normal' they really are. This isn't something that is going to affect my decision to have the tah. The pain made that decision for me. My quality of life has suffered and I'm exstatic that I'm going to have this done. I wish it were tomorrow!
Also, what would be considered a small fibroid? a medium fibroid, and a large fibroid? I've read some people have basketball size or larger!! Those :devil: fibroids had to go!! Wow!
Thanks ladies. You all deserve angel wings for helping each and every person here.

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 11:09 AM

I've heard a basic rule-of-thumb is that the uterus is about the size of your fist. My doctor described mine as "small" (no kids), and the dimension on my path report showed it to be about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I had two fibroids - about the size of a walnut and a golfball. Sometimes the small ones can cause the most trouble. I had nasty bleeding and cramps. Like you, I was doing a Snoopy dance when my doc finally agreed to do a hyst!

I would consider my fibroids small. There are smaller ones - pea/marble-sized ones, and they can cause a lot of trouble too. I'd guess "medium" would be the sizes of various kinds of citrus, and "large" gets into the sports equipment/melon class.
Unread 02-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Size of fibroids

Hi Joanne,
I'm one of the sisters with fibroids making my uterus the size of a 6-mos pregnant woman. When I 1st found out about them the largest of the 3 was the size of a pea (10 years ago). Two years ago the largest was the size of a "Whopper's" malt ball and now they are this size. I started taking BCP's 2 years ago to regulate my periods and lessen the heavy bleeding. I was unaware of the affects that taking BCP's has on fibroids and how they cause them to grow more rapidly. Also I did not know that African- American women are more likely to have fibroids and rapid growth of them as well. I will be having a TAH on the4th of March and although I am ready to have this over with and not be in this horrible pain any longer, I am getting a bit scared the closer the day gets here. I hope this has helped and that all goes well for you. I'm sending you lots of s and God bless & keep you,

Katie

PS. this is only my opinion and should never take the place of your physician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 01:45 PM

Mine was big - about the size of a volleyball and weighed 5 pounds. Never talked about what size pregnancy it compared to - but my babies had been 8+ pounders so you could use your imagination.

It wasn't so much the size that alarmed my doctors. It was two things. One - it wasn't discovered until it was already the size of a grapefruit. Plus, from the time of discovery to removal (2 1/2 months) it grew to volleyball size. Two - it started to look really weird on the ultrasound - most fibroids are symetrical. This was assymetrical with pockets of liquid (or something else they could not tell what). Although the odds were with me that it was benign, a sarcoma could not be ruled out without removing it because it was also behaving as a sarcoma would behave.

Believe it or not, I had very few symptoms of any problems. Had to go to the bathroom a little more. My periods were a bit heavy for 1-2 days, but otherwise normal. I was starting to look pregnant though.
Unread 02-17-2002, 04:46 PM

I was unaware that BCP caused fibroids to grow until I started looking through this site. I have been on continuous BCP for a year. I had cysts that were growing and rupturing out of control and this was a solution...so they thought. It did shrink them. Now I find that this probably contributed to the fibroids. Crazy how something that helps one thing makes another worse.

I've never had a CA125 that I know of...Is this a blood test or what?
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:55 AM

CA125 test is a tumor marker test. Blood is taken and checked for a protein. Ovarian cancer will cause an elevated CA125 although other benign conditions can also slightly elevate the CA125. My volleyball size benign fibroid did not elevate my CA125.
Unread 02-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Hi Joanne

Like Horsewoman I also have been told a uterus is generally the size of a fist. My doctor said my uterus was the size of a 4-and-a-half month pregnancy plus I have 2 grapefruit sized fibroids. These have grown significantly since my first ultrasound about 2 or 3 years ago (then they were probably the size of a grape). The weird thing is that I don't seem to have the excruciating pain and problems that so many women on this site have. Perhaps I've just gotten used to feeling lousy and it is now my normal state of being and I don't know any different! Anyway, it's interesting to see how different everyone is, yet we are all so much alike in our fears, feelings and journey through this process. Good luck to you and take care.

Patti

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register