One Year! Celebrate | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One Year! Celebrate One Year! Celebrate

Unread 02-17-2002, 04:29 PM
One Year! Celebrate

I had my 1st year CA free Anniverary on Jan 26th 2001. (My story is below if you don’t remember me or are new) I couldn’t celebrate this milestone without including my Hystersisters. I found such friendship, caring and concern on this site at a time when I needed it. Especially with people who knew what I was going through. It was valuable not only in how others supported me but allowed me to be strong enough myself to support fellow sisters.

I spent my Anniversary day doing things I enjoy and smiling alot.
I’ve made a few changes in my life but not as many as I think I eventually will still make. I did switch jobs internally to a much less stressful role. I think I sometimes annoy my peers as I take such a low keyed approach to the job. It’s not that I don’t do my job well. It’s that I don’t let it get to me as I used to. I took a few nice vacations – Bahamas (it rained), Arizona, Ireland. And I keep looking for opportunities to make better changes. I’m still looking for a special person to share my life but I don’t make that the major goal. I have a fantastic family and a few good friends which I try to center my life around. (2 cats too)

I would like to say thanks to everyone who supported me. Also to tell those that are just going through it that you can make it too. Thank you, peace and love. Alicia

June Ali’s Story:
I was rushed to the ER on the night of Aug 16 2000 as I was hemorrhaging severally vaginally. I received a transfusion of 2 units of blood. Tests taken in the hospital were inconclusive.
In Sept 2000 an Endometrial biopsy showed I had Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia. Also had CT Scan, Vaginal Ultra-sound and CA125 test which affirmed a thickening of uterus but nothing else.
On 10-12-2000 I had surgery to remove the Uterus. When they opened me up they found cancer in the Uterus, Tubes, Ovaries and Cervix so they did a TAH/BSO. They diagnosed me with Stage IIB Endometrial Cancer. I recovered well from the surgery with no complications. Six weeks after my surgery I started a 5 week course (25 treatments – 5 days a week) of External Beam Radiation. This was followed by a 3 week course (3 treatments – 1 a week) of Brachytherapy (internal Radiation). I experienced severe side effects from the radiation mostly related to irradiated bowel during the later part of External Radiation. These lasted for several weeks. I also had the usual fatigue throughout the radiation treatment. The Internal Radiation brought on severe fatigue for the first 2 days after each treatment. I did not have to have Chemotherapy. Treatment officially ended Jan 26 2001. I went back to work the next week.
I’ve had 2 clear post pap smears since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 05:24 PM
One Year! Celebrate

Happy Cancer-Free Anniversary!

What a milestone you've reached! I certainly hope that you celebrated in style ! It sounds like you've done some soul-searching and that you are making some changes. I have done the same thing and am much happier as a result. There's nothing like cancer (or a cancer-scare) to make you appreciate the things in life that are sometimes overlooked.

Thank you for coming back to share this with us. It's always so great to hear good news.

Alicia!
Unread 02-17-2002, 05:58 PM
One Year! Celebrate

((((June Ali)))))
Wow....long time no see!! So glad you posted, and so good to hear things are well with you!! Sounds as though life is being very good to you, and how great that you have been able to travel to so many great places.

This diagnosis sure does change the way we look at things like our jobs doesn't it? A job is important of course, but I think we all look at the stresses of the past differently now that come with the job.

I hope you will drop in from time to time to touch base, and let us know how you are doing. Again, so good to hear from you, and I wish you all the best!!
Hugs,
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 01:25 AM
One Year! Celebrate

Hi june-ali, nice to see you back here and this time with great news.
one year !!!! wow

Cancer does make you stop and take stock of what is important in life. There are lots of stories of how it has changed womens outlook on life

We all appreciate that you did come and let us know how you are doing. It is stories like yours that give us all hope. love and hugs

I would like to thankyou for supporting me while I went through my treatment xx
Unread 02-18-2002, 09:50 PM
One Year! Celebrate

{{Alicia}}

What wonderful news and may I say, its real good to hear from you!

I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well. It really is kind of amazing how this changes your whole perspective on pretty much everything. While I know we all get stressed when our appointments come rolling around, everything else just seems to lessen in comparison.

I know its a wonderful feeling to get that first year behind you, I just passed my first year a couple of weeks ago. So, here's to another great year with more great test results.

I hope you'll keep us posted on how you are doing. We love to hear what's been happening with everyone.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register