teen cycles question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

teen cycles question teen cycles question

Unread 02-17-2002, 07:36 PM
teen cycles question

Hi all.
I have a quick question about teenagers and their irregular menstrual cycles, perhaps some of you have been there done that with your own teens.
DD#1 started first at age 11, about 3-5 days long, irregular first two years or so, skipping a month from time to time. Mild discomfort, not enough to "take anything"
DD#2 started this fall at age 13, only had mild spotting for a couple days, then skipped 3 months, then got her first real one. She gets fairly moderate flow and they are close together, like sometimes 2 a month for past couple months. Her's are more uncomfortable than DD#1's. I am just concerned as she is so different (worse) off than DD#1.
Did any of your DD's have wild patterns like this and if so did they kind of develop a regular pattern over time. I was 12 when I got mine so I don't remember that far back, LOL
I'm hoping she will not be having a rough time already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2002, 09:07 PM
teen cycles question

I started at about 12-ish, I think. Bad cramps (sometimes out of school for a day or two, definitely out of PE), clotting, flooding, and heavy periods right from the start. Had to deal with merciless teachers who made me wait for breaks to use the bathroom ("You'll just have to hold it." Yeah, right.), and PE teachers who thought I was just lazy. No matter what's at the root of your DD's situation be sure she is being treated decently at school.

Docs didn't know what to make of it... maybe endo, maybe retrograde bleeding, maybe I was just a wimp. Did a dilation (just the D part of a D&C) which was no help. They gave up and put me on the pill, which was wonderful - helped the cramps and bleeding enough to live normally, plus my face cleared up. Yipee!

After 20 years on the pill, with no problems beyond mild cramping and moderate bleeding, everything came back full force at age 35, and nothing helped it - just got worse for the next 3 years. Finally found I had fibroids, had a hyst, all better now. I do wonder when the fibroids showed up - when I was a teenager, or 4 years ago, with my problems came back.

I would say the number one thing I would recommend would be some *attempt* at diagnosis. No doctor ever made any effort to diagnose my problem, at any age. They all just tried this or that to see if it would help. My fibroids were only found accidentally during an attempt at an endometrial ablation (to see if that would help...). I often wonder if a simple ultrasound might have made a world of difference years ago.

Good luck with your DD, and I'm glad to see you are taking her seriously rather than telling her that her symptoms are just another wonderful part of becoming a woman, and that she will get used to it. Good for you.
Unread 02-18-2002, 12:09 AM
teen cycles question

Hi!
I first started at age 14. I honostly think that is when my endo started because if I started at school I would literally double over with cramps and stay ther until they called my mom. It was awful!!!

My DD's are 11 & 10 and I told my DH that when they start and show the first symptom of any pain, they were going on the pill!!That was the only thing that helped back then...but I didn't go on bcp until I was 18..I just thought the pain, flooding, bloating, etc..was just part of life...BOY...was I stupid!!!!! My girls won;t be going through all of that as long as they don't have too!!

Gina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 08:35 AM
teen cycles question

My oldest dd was 11 and had her first period. Then not again for 4 months, then not again until age 13. She was exremely irregular, sometimes going 3 months, then 2 weeks, bleeding for over 2 weeks at a time. I took her to a very caring woman gyn, who put her on Ortho Tri Cyclen. She will soon be 18 and has been onthe pill for almost a year now. It has helped her a lot.
DD #2 is 12, but no signs yet!
Unread 02-18-2002, 10:20 AM
teen cycles question

My DD is only 6 and has quit a bit of time ahead of her before she starts dealing with this issue.

However, I remember starting my periods at age 10. I was very irregular for most of my teens: I would skip months on end, once skipping 10 months. Or I would have periods twice in the same month. My periods were always extremely heavy. And, in my late teens/early twenties, had a few episodes of flooding: would soak huge bath towels in a matter of minutes!!! Fortunately, for me, these episodes tended to happen very early in the morning and would be over before my mom could insist to take me to the ER.

My mom did take me to our GP and he would put me on a very low dosage of BCP. That would help, but he didn't want to keep me on them since I was so young and, back in the '70's, there was no knowledge of what kind of effects in would have on my reproductive system.

It was only when I was in my mid-20's and I went on the full-dose of BCP's that I had any regualrity. My first pregnancy also meant that was very regular afterwards. The problems only came back after my second pregnancy - I was 40 at the time and figured that I either was in peri-menopause or it was the effects of long-term nursing.

I think that the key here is to ensure that our DD's have the benefit of at least attempting for medical diagnosis. Too many of us had serious, long-lasting problems just because we took it for granted that these problems were to be our lot in life.
Unread 02-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Family Check-up

My 14 and 16 yr old DDs are having their first exam on Thursday. I have been keeping track of their periods so I can document their cycles; the youngest has the worst of it, but like the rest of the women in the family, they both started out with heavy flow.
Like myself, the youngest has miserable cramps, extending into her back; she can start, have the 7 day cycle, start again a week later.
I am seeing my OB/GYN the same day; the girls are seeing his female NP., this was their choice. I hope they can get relief, I have no issues with them taking the pill, and we have disussed it with each other. (Girls under a certain age don't have pelvic's without a parent present, we had a discussion with a nurse when arranging the appt.)
Afterward, because they aren't comfortable with the whole exam, etc., I am surprising them with lunch at one of their favorite restaurants, then a beverage of their choice after a walk (walking off lunch) to Starbuck's, on the way home we can rent videos and discuss or ignore the exam and treatment part of the day.

I wish my mother had prepared me for all the things I went through. I tell my daughters everything, so they understand they may face fibroids like my mother and myself; I don't want them afraid of their bodies, or unsure that what they are experiencing is not "normal", or maybe a doctor's visit is what is needed.
Sorry so long, but do keep track of their cycles; you can be your daughter's greatest comfort and support!
Hugs, Linda
Unread 02-18-2002, 11:26 AM
teen cycles

From what I've heard & read, it's very common for teens to have
a couple of years till their periods 'settle' into a routine. Sometimes, the routine is right from the start. Sometimes, it takes
time. My DD#1 had her 1st period 2wks before her 10th b/d. I knew it was going to be early. She was wearing a training bra in the 3rd gr(I myself started at the same age). In the beginning
they were somewhat irregular, but by the time she was 12, they
were very regular (every 28-32days). When she turned 15, they
changed somewhat..got a little heavier. So she has been tracking
her own days for a little over a year. She has friends(same age)
who's cycles are every 21 days. DD#2 is almost 11 and very subtle signs of anything. She knows her 'special day' is on it's way. I've also noticed the more active a girl is, the less painful
cramping can be. DD#1 plays water polo & swims.She still experiences cramps and discomfort but it seems to lessen when
she exercises. I suggest to keep track of the cycles and see what pattern, if any, will develop. Comforting thoughts coming your
way!!

Victoriamare
TVH/fibroids, 8-22-01
Unread 02-18-2002, 01:18 PM
teen cycles question

Thank you everyone for your responses. I do remember reading numerous times that it's normal to take a couple years to "regulate" but it threw me for a loop cause DD#1 who is almost 16 has been so lucky with hers and I hate to see DD#2 start off with it being bad!!
Mine were good as a young teen but in my late teens I had excrustiating ovulation pain, doubled over sweating, sometimes going to emerg. That was diagnosed as ovarian cysts & the problem completely disappeared right after my first pregnancy luckily.
Wow, some of your DD's were YOUNG to start!! Not ten yet, wow, poor kid.
I think I will set up a calendar with DD#2 and keep track from here on out. She is extremely active, more so than DD#1 and they both have completely different builds.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register