dVH/RALH UTI Dr. Follow up.. Is it really necessary? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UTI Dr. Follow up.. Is it really necessary? UTI Dr. Follow up.. Is it really necessary?

Unread 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM
UTI Dr. Follow up.. Is it really necessary?

Hi all... Well I'm 11 weeks post op and have the pleasure of announcing my first UTI. I found myself at Urgent Care on Saturday night because my lower back hurt go bad I could hardly stand it. The initial diagnoses was sciatica, which I am not disputing. I was given a heavy injection of steroids and then sent home with a steroid taper, muscle relaxers, and something for the pain.

The next day that part of my back felt better but what I realized was another back pain had been seriously camouflaged. My tolerance tends to be higher than most and as far as other symptoms it's so hard to know what is still remnants of the surgery and what is new. Any how short story long, back to Urgent Care I went Sunday night because it was just so unbearable. I was told I had a UTI that was likely moving into my kidneys etc because of the pain in my back etc etc. And I was put on antibiotics.

My question is this.... My discharge paperwork says to follow up with my primary care physician withing 7 - 10 days for reevaluation and another urine test to ensure the matter resolved. Is this really necessary? I was just at my doctor's last week on an unrelated matter and would really hate to go back so soon. So question again... Is the follow up appointment really needed or is it just an auto print on all Urgent Care discharge papers for patients with UTI?

Thanks for your input..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Re: UTI Dr. Follow up.. Is it really necessary?

It is nessisary. I know it is a pain in the butt, but UTI's can be tricky. One round of antibiotics may not cut it and trust me when I say you don't want it backing up into your kidneys. Good luck!
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Thank you for your reply. I had still been debating following up with my doctor, at least until Wednesday and then ... well my life just keep getting more and more exciting. Although this has nothing really to do with my hysterectomy I will mention it here. I got home from visiting my friend in the hospital and was overcome with a massive wave of dizziness, shaking, and lightheaded. and then... timber!! down I went right into the dining room chair and table before hitting the floor. I wasn't out but definitely not in either. I stayed down a few minutes before getting up but could tell something was wrong with my shoulder. I looked at it and noticed it was gashed wide open... back to urgent care I went (after waiting an hour to get my barrings.) all stitched up with seven sutures in my shoulder but they wouldn't let me leave because my hands were still crazy shaky, heart pounding and I "didn't look right".. they had ice packs on my neck and had me drinking juice. To be safe they checked my sugar it was "low normal" after a while the shaking slowed enough that I felt well enough to go home and they let me leave.

Now I'm thinking I may go to my doctor after all. This may be from the meds I've been on, or something else is just off. I don't know. I've still been having the heart pounding and shaking but haven't fallen like a tree again.. thank goodness.

I don't know... part of me is stubborn and thinking "this is just stupid" and the other part of me says.. go to the doctor dummy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Yikes! That sounds very scary! I am so sorry that happened. Goodness if its not one thing it's another. I think maybe I would go see my doc and just have a wellness check. Make sure everything is in line. Good luck!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register