Post Op Threads Are Scary | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Threads Are Scary Post Op Threads Are Scary

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Post Op Threads Are Scary

I have to say that a lot of the post op threads are negative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Re: Post Op Threads Are Scary

Don't read them! I think that most of the replies on that board are women that are having some negative experiences and issues. I read the post op stories each week for my type of surgery and it helped. I was freaked out enough without needing to hear negative and problematic issues.
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:21 PM

People don't tend to post in the post op forums about rainbows and unicorns. you are only going to get those that people are going to have issues. No one posts "I had a TLH a week ago and feel amazing". Its realy not a a good idea to go to post op unless you want to see the negative things that happen. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2013, 09:27 PM

The post-op period is when most of us didn't know what to expect, so many people post to find out if what they are experiencing is "normal". I think it's true that we hear more from the gals who are having a hard time and need some support and encouragement. I have personally found the forums to be most helpful when I needed to make a hard decision about follow-up therapy. Yes, there were brutally honest,negative posts, but also lots of encouraging ones too. I just always try to remember that I am not familiar with the general health or history of the ladies posting, so their experience may or may not be relevant to my health situation. Hope your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM

Don't worry about the post ops too much. I myself am post op and have not really posted a lot at all. I am in day 11 and really have nothing to complain about. I had TAH so I have the full six inch incision and all. Today I wore a pair of skinny jeans all day and sat for 3.5 hours while watching a high school play. I am currently enjoying a beer and some peanuts because I have no need to pain pills. I hope it helps to know we are not all negative. Try not to worry too much. I know easier said than done. Good luck to you!!
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:13 PM

Sarich

Yes, post-op can be a scary forum but there are some explanations.

There aren't a lot of ladies that post they are doing wwll, as previously noted. Some feel guilty about it, some get back to regular life and don't post but there area few out there that are positive. You may find reading the story threads to be more positive.

Also many women post in the initial early recovery weeks when they are adjusting and learning about the new them. That stage can be a bit rough.

Also there are those that experience complications and that is just not a positive thing.

The good thing is that they have a place to seek support and experiences.

I am wishing yna successful and uneventful surgery and recovery Remember to start one of those positive threads when all goes well for you.

Unread 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM

The first few weeks post op can be difficult. Many women find their doctors don't give them a realistic view of recovery and are worried that how they feel isn't normal.

I didn't read the post op boards until after my surgery. I didn't want to worry myself so I thought it best to stay off them. Now I think if I had read them a little I would have been better prepared.

I try not to think of them as negative posts, but as women with questions and who need encouragement. Most women feel great after their initial recovery (6-12 weeks) and then they rarely post after that.
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:05 AM

Some of the post op threads are scary but there are positive stories out there. I didn't find this site until the day before my surgery, so I didn't have the experience of reading a lot of the posts before hand. When I finally started posting, I didn't post a lot in my post op thread because I was one of the ones that felt guilty, because I was doing pretty good. That was my mistake, because just as the stories that let us know of what can happen help us, knowing that there are just as many positive outcomes help also. This surgery has improved my quality of life tremendously.

Please remember that everyone is different. Here's my experience. My surgery went well and was uneventful. I was up and walking and showering by midmorning day 2. I had my 1st BM by day 5. My recovery was fairly easy and my pain was manageable. I'm not saying that I didn't have any bad days at all, but the good overruled the bad by far. I did not have a decrease in libido. As a matter of fact, mine is the complete opposite. I've had no lubrication issues and my libido has increased and I have been in a complete state of arousal since day 2 post op. Most wouldn't see it as a issue, but since its all of the time, it drives me crazy. I suppose it's better than the alternative Oh and I've lost 22 lbs since I had my surgery last yr. Although that was a little up and down over the holidays Lol

There are positive stories. Until you have your surgery, I suggest staying in the pre op forum. You'll still get your answers from post op sisters and you won't be scared to death.

Lots of ((HUGS)) to you
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:36 AM

Post open aren't trying to be negative. Again everyone heals differently and you can feel different and alone in the weeks following surgery. There are only so many details you can share with those around you at home. After the first week or two especially my DH really didn't want to hear my bm concerns...lol.
I do remember being in the hospital and being thankful I had read the pain scale on this site and all the posts about staying ahead of the pain and what to expect. I felt that I knew the why behind what the doc and nurses were doing.
It really is a community of women on here and a diverse one. I am very thankful I found it.
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:48 AM

If it helps, I had a DaVinci hysterectomy in December last year and, almost 12 weeks post op, I feel fabulous- I had a complication free surgery and a smooth recovery- some pain, lots and lots of fatigue but the only problems I encountered was that one of my incisions became inflamed- we didn't bother doing any labs, so it might have just been the tissue expressing serious annoyance at being treated that way but I did a round of antibiotics just in case it was an infection and, at about two weeks, I had a spell of nausea and dizziness, which seems to be pretty normal, lasted only a few days and was easily managed with the meds my doc prescribed (I still have half of the 'script, so that tells you how quickly it passed)

I stopped taking my prescription pain meds on day 5, would've liked them at night a few more days but was not diggin' the side effects, so...

Without my uterus to cause trouble, I feel better than I have in years-
No more heavy and erratic bleeding
No more mind-numbing pain both predictable and striking at random.
No more ruined sheets and underwear.
No more keeping a stash of sanitary products, wet wipes and spare panties in every purse, piece of luggage and both cars.
No more stress incontinence
No more sudden urgency to pee and then being unable to fully void my bladder.
Much improved bowel function.
To my great surprise, fewer headaches.
I have tickets to a concert in April- it's the first time in years that I've planned anything that far in advance and I don't have any fear that my body is going to say "Ha! You only *thought* you were going to go enjoy this thing you've looked forward to for weeks!"
I have white panties and I'm still gloating a little when I put them on.
I no longer have to worry about becoming pregnant, which has been a boon to my sex life and my husband is delighted to be free from condoms.
My tummy is flatter and my waist more defined.
Now that I'm past the post-op insomnia, I'm sleeping better than I have in years(be prepared- your sleep schedule will be simply screwed for a month or so after surgery, maybe longer)

I kept my ovaries, so there are still hormonal PMS symptoms but without the horrifying cramps and the mess, those symptoms I do still deal with are far less of a burden.

I had surgery and it was not "fun" but it was also not any sort of nightmare and the results are wonderful in so, so many ways!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register