alone at home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

alone at home alone at home

Unread 02-18-2002, 11:50 AM
alone at home

alot of you have mentioned that your dh stayed home with you after your surgery. Because of an attendance policy thing where my dh works, it's gonna be next to impossible for him to stay home. My question is...am i gonna be totally helpless???
I might be able to get a freind who doesn't work too far from me to stop in occasionally, but, I can't gaurantee it. Will I be able to get to the toity on my own? If not I'm not sure dh will come home at all after cleaning "things"up. Sooo many questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 12:08 PM
alone at home

HI Chickadee !

As long as you plan ahead, you should be just fine staying home alone post-op. Have everything at waist level so that you do not have to bend or reach and maybe your friend could stop by and check on you every once in awhile.

I had my DH and DM with me the first 3 days out of the castle ( I got out on a Thursday and they were with me till Sunday). I was really relieved to have the peace and quiet and the house to myself come Monday.

Best of luck to you !
Unread 02-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Being alone

Hi just thought i would reply to your post on being alone,I too
was left alone ,my dh was away at work and my 9 year old dd was here with me .Well before and after school . I had a dear friend who stopped in daily to see if i needed anything ,It really wasn't bad at all.i had the whole house to myself.I could rest.or watch tv,whatever i wanted it was great.I just made sure that my dd took things out for me in the morning that i thought i might need for the day ,,But i wa able to make a sandwich ,or cook myself some soup ,,it really wasn't bad at all ..Don't worry you will be fine .

bev
adeno. tvh ,bladdersuspension kept ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 01:54 PM
alone at home

You won't be helpless at all, the second day in the hospital I was walking, showering and using the toity unassisted, I even went to the nutrition room and fixed my own diet soda. You might enjoy the peace and quiet, you might want to wait until hubby
is home to shower.
Unread 02-18-2002, 02:00 PM
Don't worry...

like Nancy said, you should be mobile the day after surgery in the hospital...walking the halls, etc.

I would not let dh stay with me ONE day when I got home. I wanted the quiet (I hate people fawning over me). I did wait for him to get home from work the first time I showered because I had to climb a flight of stairs. So I walked up (backwards-takes the pressure off your abdomen) and he was right there in front/ (back) of me in case I fell.

It was no problem at all!

Good luck!
Unread 02-18-2002, 02:32 PM
alone at home

I'm so glad somebody asked this question. I'm divorced, no children, and all my family lives 1500 miles away. I was trying to be brave and not worry about being alone, but I worried anyway! I will have folks to call if I need assistance, but it sure is nice to know I won't be helpless! Surgery is a week from today, so tha's one less thing I'll have to worry about! Thanks Ladies!
Unread 02-18-2002, 02:45 PM
alone at home

I am a soon to be divorced single parent of two young kids. I was completely alone and responsible for them from the day I came home from the hospital. I had no problem at all taking care of myself - it was taking care of the kids that caused me some problems. My biggest problem was getting groceries because I live in a rural area. However, with a dh that can stop on the way home you shouldn't have that problem.
Unread 02-18-2002, 03:00 PM
Stay at home alone!

No you won't be helpless but there are things you shouldn't do when you are alone. I would get that friend to drop by maybe once or twice a day for the first few days. You need to alot during recovery and small paths through the house so if you don't go beyond that you will be fine. I would make sure what I wanted to eat was easy to get too. Make a list of things you need to do and enjoy the quiet. God Bless
Unread 02-18-2002, 03:50 PM
Alone can be managed

Chickadee,

I always am home along as I am a single unpartnered woman. Although my stay in the hospital was a bit longer due to complications (10 days) I was alone from my first night at home and managed O.K.

I had a step stool I used to help myself sit up and get out of bed (sort of like a hand rail). I took a cordless phone when I went out on walks to start with and kept it near me. I had easy food to fix and had gotten stocked up on stuff so grocery shopping wasn't necessary for a little bit. I used a stool for the shower, which I was glad I borrowed from my gram.

Family and friends checked in with me and helped with things I needed. I moved carefully and slowly to start but kept moving as much as possible with plenty of rest in between.

Good luck,
Susan
HSChatTeamSusanW

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register