First day without my husband | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First day without my husband First day without my husband

Unread 02-18-2002, 01:32 PM
Fist day without my husband

and by 9:30am I had already overdone it. I got up at 7:00 and made breakfast for everyone (including DH). He left for work at 7:30. After he left, I cleaned up the breakfast dishes, then gave the kids a bath and dressed them. Then I made our bed and the kids bed. Then I put away the kids laundry that was washed 2 days ago. Then I took a shower and got dressed and when I sat down to put my socks on I got this awful shooting pain in my lower abdominal area. A few minutes later I felt like I had started my period so I went into the bathroom and I had begun to bleed. I called my OB and she had me go in. I guess that the stitches that had not started to disolve popped and now I'm paying the price. I didn't think I had done anything too bad. I didn't lift, I wasn't moving fast....I was just doing my daily duties. Not to mention I hadn't even vacuumed yet and that really needs to be done.

Steph
BTW...I am 3 weeks post op TODAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 01:39 PM
First day without my husband

I sorry to hear that,

I am not far behind you and kinda in the same situation..dh left when I was 10 post and I thought I could handle the simple things but I just got sore and tired... thank god for my mother she has kept the baby for me I just take care of my 4 and 15 year old...

It is so hard when you think you feel good enough to do things...
I hope everything is alright ...

I guess they had to go in and restich you???
Unread 02-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Overdoing it!!

Steph: This happened to me today also.. Hubby went back to work, kids are home from school for the holiday..I didn't do as much as you as I am 5 days post op from a laproscopic subtotal hysterectomy (kept ovaries and cervix) but let me tell you..by 11 am I tripped going up the stairs, and got shooting pains also!!

I called my mom and she came right over and took over everything, I took some pain med, put on a heating pad and feel alot better..

My recovery is supposed to be 2 weeks, the dr's said thiswould be like having a tubal (yeah right) with a tubal you don't have anything amutated for crying out loud!!

I have to say though that by yesterday I was feeling alot better and this morning, until I tripped, I was able to move around alot better without the pain meds on board..

I hope you feel better, I know what those pains are like!!

Anna
LSH 2/13/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 01:52 PM
slow down

i had my surgeries back in dec. and after i had gotten home from both, he went back to work.

DH went to work the day i was coming home. he picked me up, took me home to a cold house, as the power had gone out the night before and hadn't come back on. that was a friday. he went back to work. the kids were home, so it wasn't that bad. he is off on the weekends and went back to work on monday. we live 3 minutes away from his office, so he would come home at lunch and make it for me. and he would come home right away if i needed him. i survived.

so i was alone ALOT. kids went back to school after the xmas break. and i was alone. i have no parents or in-laws to help. all my family live 3000 miles away (the commute is bd! ) and my in-laws passed away.

please go read my story titled "my surgery from heck." you'll have to go back a few pages, not sure what page it is on now. and you will see what i went through.

Steph,
you're doing too much too soon. i know you have little ones, but you need to rest, rest, rest. i hope the bleeding has stopped. mine didn't and well, go read my story. keep us posted on this one, ok?

always
patti

ps. leave the vacuuming for another time. or for DH to do.
Unread 02-18-2002, 03:57 PM

Hi Steph,

I know it seems hard to believe, but you really are doing too much too soon. Your body is letting you know. Even if you don't lift, you are probably bending a lot and doing many other motions that involve the tender, healing abdomen...most everything does.

Please remember that the initial recovery for this surgery is 6-8 weeks long. That means 6-8 weeks of taking it very easy. Only then should you be easing into your normal activities. Until then, try not to bend, lift, push, pull, or reach...all those motions involve your abdomen.

Frankly, much more was done inside us than many of us realize. There are countless stitches. Tell your DH (sweetly) that you'll need him to help you out more in the early morning, or just be willing to let some things go. Or, take up other friends and relatives on their offers of help...or just ask for help. You're worth it!

My very best to you...
Unread 02-18-2002, 08:02 PM
doing too much too soon

Oh my,
You are really pushing it!!! I , too, am about 3 weeks post. (Jan.30 surgery date), and I am not doing much of ANYTHING in the line of housework. My dh is doing so much. He's doing laundry right now!!! I have read of numerous accounts of ladies that pushed it too soon, started to bleed, and were back in the hospital.
So at this stage of the game, I pretty much walk laps thru the house, and that's about it!!!! I really want my body to heal. I still have a good bit of pain, so am taking meds here and there.
But dishes, laundry, and making beds?? NO WAY!!! NOT YET!!
I help my 5 year old dress for school, and do her hair. That is the most I've exerted myself!!!
So PLEASE, take it easy. You'll be glad you did later.
Best of luck!!!
Unread 02-18-2002, 08:47 PM

<~~~~uh-oh; I think this guy would like a word with you.

Try to relax, sweetie! Take it easy on yourself after this major surgery. Making beds is very hard on your abdominals whether you know it or not. Not a good idea. Let that go.

Be a willing participant in your recovery - it does pay off nicely.

Hope you are feeling better soon, getting the rest your body needs.

(((((((HUGS))))))))
Unread 02-19-2002, 06:38 AM

Take it easy! You did in 2 hours what I am doing gingerly in a whole day! I also get up at 6:30 to get my husband off to work and then kind of plan my days activities. ( I realize that I don't have children at home, so I can be a little selfish ). My doc was adamant about stairs, 2 trips per day for 2 weeks and using the wall or handrail for assistance. I have been doing dishes for awhile, but if they sit til I am ready to do them, so be it! No vacuuming for 6 weeks......I am sure that your DH could help with this. Listen to your body! Remember that the damage done inside your abdomen is the same with TVH or TAH, the approach is the only difference. And remember that kids can be a great help, and it is good for their self esteem to help mommy! It is amazing what they are capable of doing at even the youngest ages. Things may not get done to the highest quality, but maybe enough that you can overlook them. Perhaps a to do list would be helpful, write things down during the day that need to be done and ask your DH to gather the troups to distribute tasks. You can participate with the little projects too. As time goes on, you will feel stronger and can do more. Please keep us posted as to your progress, heal now so you don't have to heal later!

Unread 02-19-2002, 07:41 AM
Made the beds?

Now listen, Steph, stop all that stuff!! The beds don't have to be made, they're only going to be slept in again!! Yes the kids need to have a bath, but, have them take it at night when dh is home to supervise, then the morning routine is a little less busy. You need to take care of yourself.

My house is making me cringe, but I'm not going to hurt myself because I've got some major dust and unmade beds.

Mid-typing confession: while typing this, I had to get up and dust It just really got to me!! I use those new cloths that grab the dust, so it isn't that much of an effort.

Now that I've totally blown my lecture, I'll just tip toe out.

cjgblue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register