Hand pain, joint pain, back pain??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hand  pain, joint pain, back pain??? Hand pain, joint pain, back pain???

Unread 02-18-2002, 04:34 PM
Hand pain, joint pain, back pain???

I was hoping some of you wonderful ladies could offer some suggestions. I had a tah/bso about two months ago. I thought my recovery from the surgery went okay except for the normal aches and pains and hormonal issues. However, for the last few weeks I am having some strange problems. My hands seem to stiffen up to the extent that I have a hard time unbending them or helping my son zip his coat. They are very painful from a little above the wrist bone but the major problem is the pain and stiffening in the hands themselves. In addition I have had back pain that doesn't seem to go away. I also have what I think is right hip pain that results in my my walking funny and pain. I asked my gyn and she told me it wasn't surgery related. However, I never had joint pain, back pain, or hand pain before the surgery. She made me feel like a big hypochondriac which I am not. I haven't been to the doctor in the last three years except for the gyn so I certainly don't make up symptoms. Has anyone else experienced anything like this after surgery or have any guesses what could be going on ? I will have to make an appointment with my regular doctor but I have been hesitating because I don't want to get the same reaction again. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 04:42 PM

Please don't be afraid to go to your primary care doctor, as you know that your pain is real and that is what matters. I had problems with pain in my joints and muscles after my surgery in 2000. The doctors did all the right tests to rule out arthritis and other related illness. For me the final diagnosis was, fibromyalgia. The doctor told me that the surgery was an immense stress on my body and threw me into a flare of fibromyalgia. Please have your problem throughly evaluated, you don't deserve to suffer Best wishes and prayers.
Unread 02-18-2002, 05:22 PM

Please have your doctor run some blood tests to rule out any of the 'biggies', Rheumatoid arthritis, Fibromyalgia etc. I also experienced alot of joint pain following my hyst and it turned out that my ovaries were a little on the slow side and I was exhibiting symptoms of menopause. A short course of estrogen helped me tremendously. Please let us know what your doctor says.

All the best,
Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 05:37 PM

Thank you for your speedy replies. Just a couple of quick questions. I never thought about arthritis - can this be triggered by surgery ? Also fibromyglia seems to be one of those diseases that are tricky to diagnose - do you know if it can be done with a blood test ?

I guess I want to ask the doctor for specific tests so I don't get sent home without any more knowledge. Thanks!!
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:19 PM

The doctors would do tests to rule out arthritis type diseases and if all the tests come back normal and you have trigger points for fibromyalgia then they would diagnose fibromyalgia in that fashion. Fibromyalgia does not have a blood test to show that you have it. So once they rule the other joint disease out they then think of fibromayalgia. Fibromayalgia may cause joint pain of 6 months and stop, or hurt for a couple years, and you can get flare ups during times of immense stress. It effects different people differently. Some people also get chronic fagtigue with it also. I did for awhile too. Fortunately for me my fibromyalgia problems were limited, but l know that once again I will be having major surgery, so I am nervous about how the stress of the surgery will effect my body again. I am prepared emotionally for this next surgery as I know my joints and muscles can go haywire for a while. I had to take Celebrex for the pain and do execises, and make sure that I was sleeping in deep rem sleep, as people with fibromyalgia tend to not get a good quality sleep and the lack of this important sleep can cause the problems with the mucsles and joints not having the proper time in sleep to rejevenate the muscles, hence you have muscle and joint pain and fatigue. There is lots of hope for fibromyalgia. Out of all the joint diseases out there, fibromyalgia is the one that you would want to have, as there is hope of long time remission and not a crippling progressive disease. There are website for people with fibromyalgia, and you can get great ideas on how to make things better and how to deal with it till goes back to a remmisson state. Best wishes.
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:20 PM

If you explain to your doctor that you are experiencing joint pain and you would like some blood tests run, he will most likely run the gammut, testing you for all autoimmune deficiency diseases and anything else where joint pain may be a symptom. In alot of instances, stress can be a trigger mechanism. Again, please let me know how you make out at the doctor. This really can be quite a nuisance and very frustrating.

All the best,
Rita
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:55 PM
hormones?

Hi there,

Always check with your Dr. first.

Coincidentally, I was looking at pre-menopausal and menopausal symptoms in one of the books I have (Susan Loves Hormone Book) and your symptoms are listed. Check this book out (there is a list of symptoms, i have most of them!!!!)

Our bodies go thru soooo much!!!!!!!! Hope this helps some!
Renee'
Unread 02-18-2002, 09:03 PM

I am also having joint pain in my hand and in my left hip and back. I do have tendonitis in my right hand which hurts mostly when it's cold, but since my surgery it in the last few weeks has gotten worse. I was able to keep one of my ovaries and I am not taking any HRT.

I read on a web site how you hips are spreaded duing the surgery and some nerves do get damaged. I hope the pain stop soon because I have been feeling so well I do not want to go back on pain meds.

Jocelin
Unread 02-19-2002, 06:56 AM
muscle joint aches/pain

I too have the muscle aches/pain. I am 6 weeks post op and took Lupron for 3 months prior to surgery. I had severe muscle and joint problems as sideaffects from Lupron. I am hoping that the Lupron sideaffects have not yet left my body but, I am concerned that this will stay with me. My Dr took hormone tests last week and I am anxiously waiting (and hoping) that this is the problem.The thought of living with this makes me depressed. I also have tingling (sleepy) feeling in my hands and feet. The insomnia and mood swings are making the recuperation drag on. I am trying to be patient but, it is not so easy. I have been sick since July and would really like my old self back. It seems that all of this diagnosis is rather complicated and time consuming, and meanwhile the suffering goes on.
Unread 02-19-2002, 08:35 PM

I know how you feel, My body still aches at times, and you tell the doctor and they act like your making it up for attention, all they say is never heard of a hysterectomy causing that!! You would think they could come up with a different line, something that at least sounds like their concerned! My aches were coming from low estrogen level, as my estrogen gradually increases I feel alot better. I am on the premarin .9 was taking .625. Have your estrogen level checked mine was at 50. But you have to ask them what it is or they will just say its normal, considering that normal is what 1-400, I would say mine was a bit low. Hope you feel better soon!!! Those aches can drive you crazy!! Bad enough having them, then worse thinking of 100 different diseases that could cause them.

Linda
LMB

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register