Post-Hysterectomy Psychosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Hysterectomy Psychosis Post-Hysterectomy Psychosis

Unread 02-18-2002, 07:34 PM
Post-Hysterectomy Psychosis

My four daughters, ages 20 to 25, have been doing extensive research among their friends...and have found out that everyone's mother who has had a hysterectomy has gone beserk after surgery...at one point or another...possibly in response to hormonal changes. Is this true? When does this happen? What is happening? What can I do to prepare for it beside hoping that my girls do not desert me when I need them!! Of course, luckily I will still have my husband who faithfully stayed by me in transition during my four Lamaze childbirths. At least, I hope I'll still have him! Please let me know what you know about this reaction.... to hormonal changes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 07:49 PM

Hi, enbeejay,

I've read a lot of posts here, and I've never heard of anyone experiencing psychosis as the result of a hysterectomy. I don't think I've read about anyone going berserk, either.

I can tell you that it's not uncommon for women to experience a sense of loss after a hyst. Some women feel sad or depressed for a while. These feelings can occur in women who've had their ovaries removed, and in women who kept one or both ovaries.

Here's my opinion: Both women who wanted future children, and women who did not, may experience grief after the removal of our child-bearing organs. And I think we all experience big changes in our hormones. Our bodies have changed. This is a life-changing surgery.

Most women seem to get their emotions back to their preop status within a few months. If they're taking HRT, it may take some time to get the hormones regulated. Some women feel better when they take antidepressants. For some women, it may take longer, if they're dealing with grief and sorrow after their surgery.

I found that it took me a few months, working with my doctor, to find the right hormone combination for me. I was weepy, and sometimes irritable, for a while after my surgery. I was also extremely tired for the first six weeks. My husband and daughter "walked on eggshells" with me for a time. Now, I feel better than I had in years.

I hope this helps to reassure you. Yes, you may experience some emotional changes if you have a hysterectomy. Usually, these changes will be temporary, and help is available for them.

Please feel free to ask questions or vent anytime. The ladies at Hystersisters have been through this surgery, and we are here for you.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 02-18-2002, 08:38 PM

Hi There!

Helen gave a great response; I second it. We're all different and respond to things differently. Medicine also continues to progress by leaps and bounds all the time. There is constant research being done ( albeit not enough for us women! ) toward the hormonal balance of a woman.

Did your girls ever stop to think that their friends' mothers may have gone beserk because of their daughters and not because of some operation??? (just kidding!)

Talk to your DR, do some research on your own. You will see the variables involved, and the many many approaches there are to HRT.

Visit www.hormonejungle.com . You may find some interesting articles there.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 08:54 PM

I had surgery almost 2 years ago...and my moods are more stable now than they've been in years...my energy level is great..and I feel wonderful.

So, can't speak for anyone but myself...but I have not gone "beserk"..NOT even close...nor has anyone else I've known....my sister and my mother to name two right off the top of my head

Have to admit before surgery I was worried about how my body would react to HRT...but I started it the day after surgery and haven't had any problems.
Unread 02-19-2002, 01:25 AM

I wonder if they were thinking of the teary-ness that sometimes follows surgery? Y'know, crying at everything on TV? That's really common, and might seem like "going berzerk" to kids, but it's really a normal reaction. Possibly partly hormonal, but I know of it happening with heart surgery and knee surgery, too.
Unread 02-19-2002, 04:19 AM

What could possibly be worse than the "Psycho Hag Mom"

who so often appears due to cramps, grusome periods,heavy

flow,clots,backache,etc.?

My boys look forward to NOT hearing " I have PMS- DON'T MESS WITH ME".
Unread 02-19-2002, 04:40 AM

I don't remember hearing from anyone about going berserk! Maybe running thru the streets screaming "I am free", having put the bleeding, pain and inconvenience behind us! LOL I cry at the Hallmark commercials anyway, but didn't notice anything too much more intense than my regular reactions. I was started on HRT immediately after surgery, don't know if that helped or not.

Unread 02-19-2002, 05:42 AM
Your wonderful responses

Dear Ladies:
Thank you SO MUCH for your wonderful support and responses....I am unfortunately a veteran of innumerable surgeries...including two back surgeries...and I guess my girls do not realize that my DH and I survived many of them quite well...including the childbirths....I have been reading so much information on this beautiful and generous website...and am glad that I have finally figured out how to post a question and an answer.

I am feeling very positive about what to expect...even though I realize it is not going to be fun...and feeling positive has come directly from learning so much from all of you since February 6th when I found your website.

I made my decision instantaneously when my doctor told me how enlarged my fibroids had become. I had a D&C in August 2000 that seemed to helped with discharge problems but now my uterus is the size of a 14-week pregnancy without the bonus of a baby on the way.

Luckily, I have just spent the last seven months losing 39 pounds with Weight Watchers...so I am in better shape than I have been in a long time. I go for my pre-op visit tomorrow at the doctor's office and the hospital. My ob/gyn is the same man who got me through four pregnancies, two miscarriages(D&Cs & a tubal ligation), and the last D &C so I have complete confidence in him.

My four daughters will be arriving in shifts to take over "Mommy care." However, I think Toonces may be right...that too much help may be on the way...and that the daughters are a little freaked out. Thanks for everything. I can't wait to be on the Post-Op side. I got lucky...only having to wait three weeks for surgery...My heart goes out to those who have to wait so much longer. Just better to get it overwith I think...and on to a new and better life! : God Bless All of You, enbeejay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register