prolapsed uterus? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

prolapsed uterus? prolapsed uterus?

Unread 02-19-2002, 11:03 AM
prolapsed uterus?

Okay. This is gonna sound really gross. But I don't know who else to ask....and since you guys are sooooo helpful to everyone else.....

I think my uterus is prolapsing. It has not completely fallen. But I have fairly uncomfortable pain in my back on the right side (like maybe it fell against the sciatic nerve?) and I definitely can see something that doesn't look normal. :alarm:

My husband has even said that he hits something now upon penetration but that he didn't in the past (when I was younger). I can also say that it is completely impossible for me to use tampons because they either go left or right but never straight in. Maybe that's what he's doing??!! Sex is not painful....YET.

What do you guys think? I have spotting for a week before my actual period, and migraines nearly every day which we are almost positive are hormonal. I am on progesterone and estrace and 60 mgs. of Prozac. The high dose of prozac is because my neurologist theorizes the headaches could be from lack of serotonin. The prozac supposedly increases it.

I am a mother of 4 teenagers and 41 1/2 years old. Been married 20 years (almost). Don't want any more children of my own. Have been begging for a hysto for years. Now I am wondering if I have a legitimate reason for it. What do you think?

HELP!!!

Joann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2002, 11:30 AM
prolapsed uterus?

Sounds like it could be what you've described ... get an appointment, and ask them. You should be well informed (of course) about all your alternatives, but it does sound like you truly want the hysterectomy for many reasons (I'm same way).

If your doc confirms prolapse but, like my first one, insists on exhausting (at great length) all other measures prior to hysterectomy, hear out those measures (to be "well informed"), and make known your choice. Should you still want the hysterectomy, yes - prolapse is a "reason," especially with the other complications and in view of the whole picture.

With my family history of uterine cancers looming, a mild prolapse, rectocele and cystocele that need repairs anyway (rectocele sooner than later), and hyperplasia, my first doc still refused to do a hystorectomy. She mistakenly took the attitude that she was running the whole show regarding my body ... a very wrong thought. I took my pathology reports to a new doctor and, though my prolapse is mild, she looked at this "whole picture" and agreed that it's one of my options. I have my date set for April 10 to get all those repairs - coordinated between 2 surgeons - and a colonoscopy (since I'll be under anyway).

Just as you know you have the final say over your kids' education or care, you certainly have the final say over your own body. Always seek new information, even about alternatives ... then you'll know whatever decision you finally make will be a truly well informed one, and you'll not have regrets. Good luck.
Unread 02-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Sounds like...

Thanks Katie. I forgot to mention that sometimes (actually almost always) when I strain using the bathroom, I will get some blood (very little, very pink) on the tissue and I KNOW it is not from the back end. I think the uterus is causing this or maybe it's the cervix. Either way....they gotta go!

Thanks again for your advice. I see the pcp (also general surgeon) on Tuesday Feb. 26. I'll keep folks posted.

Joann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2002, 02:25 PM
prolapsed uterus?

I have a prolapsed uterus. It sounds, in my humble opinion, that you do. I can't use tampons either and intercourse is extremely painful. (luckily, I have an understanding husband.) I also have migraines, but haven't found a doctor to take them seriously yet. I am getting a second opinion before I have a hyster, but I will either have to have one now, or when I get older. (I'm soon to be 26.)

I think you should talk to your doctor. You have a good reason. If he/she doesn't want to discuss it with you, you should probably find another doctor.

Good luck!!
Unread 02-19-2002, 04:39 PM
prolapsed uterus?

I saw your post from another board that metioned your dr. has told you that you were to young for a hyst. Don't ask demand something be done to correct your problems. I have been told for the past 2 years that I just had an infection no exp for infection just an infection. My dr. said I was to young to even consider a hsyt. this is also the same dr i had to beg for a tubal and wait a year until I turned 21 to get him to do one. Changed dr. and after one visit have an expanation for all pain in past 2 yrs. and come to find out I am not to young for a hyst. And esp if you are having abnormal bleeding any kind of abnormal bleeding insist that something be done you are the one that suffers not them.
Unread 02-19-2002, 06:34 PM
prolapsed uterus?

Hi Joanne and Linda

I had my hyst for a prolapsed uterus, and also had a rectocele and cystocele repaired.

You know what's strange - until you both mentioned how hard it is to get a tampon to go in straight and stay in, I had never put 2 and 2 together and realized that was why I had problems, too, with tampons.

Before I had my surgery, the doctor asked me to try Kegel exercises for a few months first. I did, but they weren't helpful in my case.

We discussed using a pessary, but I didn't really want to do that, and since I'm 56 and was already in menopause, and needed the rectocele and cystocele repairs anyway, we decided that I would have it done. I'm definitely glad that I did.

Linda, I was sore and used my donut pillow for several weeks (even took it with me when I went back to work) but it does go away.

Karen
Unread 02-20-2002, 05:08 AM
Me too

Prolapsed uterues. Dr said I was at stage 2. Down in the vagina but not all the way out to where I could see it. Tampons went sideways if they stayed in at all, sex HURT, but the worst was the back pain, OMG it was awful. All the back docs kept saying pinced nerve, bulging discs I am the only one in my family that hasn't had back surgery. I couldn't stand up straight at times. Periods from &^%$. But also had the stomach problems, nasuea ALL THE TIME, then towards the end that led to vomiting, swollen stomach, went up two sizes with only gaining about 10 lbs. Going to the bathroom constantly, BM were virtually impossible, I would go weeks without going. I found a new doc that told me the prolapse was the cause of all of my problems (after rulling out endo) I feel sooooooo much better. I would say especially the past year my quality of life went down hill fast, but after hyster my quality of life is amazing. TVH/BSO here and only one regret I didn't find my new OBGYN sooner. I missed out on alot with my kids and they had to put up with a mother that was always sick. It still amazes me that a uterues has that much control over us.
I'm here if you would like to talk.
K
Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register