Please tell me this will pass ..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please tell me this will pass ..... Please tell me this will pass .....

Unread 02-19-2002, 12:16 PM
Please tell me this will pass .....

I'm sure this has been asked, answered and discussed many times in the past, but I'm really, really needing some encouragement please!!!!!

I know that the whole healing process takes time and I've really, really, really tried to be patient (never my greatest strength). But hey, I'm 14 1/2 weeks post-op!!!!

Shouldn't I stop being so tired by now?

Shouldn't I be able to return to my full schedule at the gym (ie. 6 days = 3 weight training & 4 cardio sessions) by now?

Shouldn't I need less than at least 9-10 hours of sleep at by now?

Shouldn't I be able to get through a day's work without desperately wanting and needing to fall asleep about 3/4's the way through the day by now?

I am not anemic or otherwise iron deficient (due to a long-term potassium problem which is more or less under control, my blood is tested regularly). And, I had a minor case of strep throat a week or so ago (for which I was on antibiotics but which almost knocked my socks off strength wise), its all cleared up.

I used to have so much energy and stamina. Tiredness was just something that occurred from time to time in my active life. Now I feel like an draggy, old, hag. I even quit smoking concurrent with my surgery so you'd think that would make me feel better all by itself!!

Will I ever, ever feel like my old self again????? Will I ever, ever not be exhausted all the time (I never felt this drawn out all of the times I was anemic in the past!!!).

If you can answer me and give me hope, I really do appreciate it.

If you cannot, and there isn't any hope (see what I mean - aren't I pathetic??), thank you anyway just for listening to me vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2002, 12:25 PM

Hi There!

Yes, this will pass! Try not to forget that it does take up to a full year to be completely healed from this surgery. You're past the most vulnerable and sensitive parts of it but realize that while the body is healing it uses extra energy. So we get fatigued.

I'm still feeling very tired and needing more sleep than before the surgery, too -- my DR recommended multivitamins, but I'm doing good just to take the HRT I'm on -- so I think I'm going to make a better effort to take those vitamins and see if it makes a difference.

Best wishes - you are not alone, but I know that we will get our energy back!

HUGS!
Unread 02-19-2002, 12:27 PM
THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Hey There!!

Sounds like you need a good pep talk quick like!! I'm sorry you're feeling so down. But it will get better. I just realized today that I'm 10 months post-op and I feel great. Not to say that I didn't feel just like you did at one time. Sounds like you had a set-back with that strep throat that you're forgetting about. Give your self a break!! Before you know it, you'll be back to normal and feeling even better than you did before. I didn't see your profile, so I don't know why you had surgery. I didn't have any major problems, just had four kids and gravity was working on my innards bad!! Now I feel wonderful. I sure haven't missed that period and my mood seems to stay on an even keel now, not crazy like it did when I was about the start.

I sure hope this helps encourage you. It will get better, but you'll just have to remind yourself that you've had surgery and a set-back or two also. Be kind to yourself. You deserve it!!

Take care and God Bless you and your family. Email me at work and cc home address ([email protected]) and I'll be glad to pep more if you need it!! I love talking to the sisters here and hope my experience helps others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2002, 12:28 PM

Hi SweetCheeks

I am about 6 weeks ahead of you and yes.....i still get very tired. My family still makes fun of me because, it's not unusual for me to fall asleep on the coach at 8:30 p.m. and sleep thru till 6:00 in the morning !!!!

It's gotten better, but I still think it will take a little more time.
Unread 02-19-2002, 12:29 PM
ps

ps ..... I'm normally a very, very optimistic person ..... and no, I'm not depressed - JUST EXHAUSTED!!!
Unread 02-19-2002, 05:02 PM

HI Sweet Cheeks,

I'm not depressed either -- just tired! I know what you mean about those "naps" on the sofa in the evening. When I was at your point in post op, I would sleep right on through the night. Now, I wake up around midnight and stay up for a couple of hours before I can go back to sleep. Aggravating.

I wondered the same things you are wondering about the same time in my recovery. I do feel better now (almost 6 mnths). And, I do have more stamina. I have decided it just takes some of us longer than others. I find that the more time I spend outdoors the better I feel, and the more stamina I have.

If you can, try walking outside. The weather is beautiful in S. Fl. now, isn't it?

Take care. Don't hesitate to come here and vent. "It does a body good!" Don't give up -- it just takes time.

Blessings and s
Unread 02-19-2002, 05:02 PM

((((Sweet Cheeks)))) I was exhausted for several months ( 5 or 6). Just couldn't seem to shake it. This was so unlike me. I needed to lay down almost every night after work...and took naps on weekends...still do when I get the chance My energy level was the last thing that came back....and it was "gradual" to say the least...but it DID happen.

It can take 6 months or more sometimes to be completely healed. Be patient...you'll be back to your energetic self before you know it.

It's ok to vent.....we understand.
Unread 02-19-2002, 09:19 PM
your exercise

Have you considered or asked your doctor if weight and cardiovascular training may be counterproductive to your recovery at this point? A physcial therapsit or a cardiac rehab therapist may be able to give you some advice on this. Sounds like your body is screaming for rest and you're still pushing it despite its craving for rest.
Have you considered scaling back your exercise regimen? Maybe change it for awhile -- light swimming, low impact water aerobics, walking, fewer times per week? Sounds like you're very conscientious about your physical fitness. If you need to step back from your exercise routine for awhile your body will not fall to pieces. Let your body recovery. When it has recovered and you return to your normal exercise routine, it will respond quickly and you will return to your previous fitness level.
Vent, yes, but think a little about what you're demanding of your body -- you were cut open, things were taken out, your body has had to heal a tremendous wound. Be a friend to your body and take care of it and yourself. That said, excuse me but I have to go cut down by hand with an axe a giant Seqoiuia (sp?) in my back yard. I'm just six weeks post-op. I should be able to manage that. Right?
Unread 02-19-2002, 10:27 PM
all teh answers

The answers to your questions are: probably not, absolutely why even think such a thing, no way, nada, you betcha, of course, and not.

It sounds like you have plenty of energy. You're just using it to worry and fret. Take it easy on yourself. I think our bodies dictate how fast & furious we can go. They'll remind us when we overdo it. It'll all pass soon enough. Take care.
Unread 02-19-2002, 10:56 PM

Hey Sweet Cheeks!
I'm 14 weeks post-op from LAVH-BSO. I too am fighting the energy crisis! I do however, wear a patch and get an estrogen shot every month. After I get the shot I feel wonderful and have tons of energy, but end up overdoing it. So, I've decided that the energy level is accurate with how much you should do or not do. Does that make sense? Anyway, hang in there, it's nice to know I'm not alone either. I start thinking I'm a whimp until I come here and find that everything is normal!!!

Good-luck! Tally

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register