Countdown Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Countdown Questions Countdown Questions

Unread 02-19-2002, 02:39 PM
Countdown Questions

I received a call from doc's office & hospital with pre-op date of March 4th and surgery date of March 12th. Now my knees are shaking and my eyes fill up with tears. Am I loosing my mind or what?

Can anyone offer advice on the following:

What is the best type of "bed clothes" to purchase? I purchased 2 long flannel gowns and 1 satin sleep shirt last night. My husband wanted to buy me a robe, but I didn't want anything that tied. Any suggestions?

There are a hundred things on my pre-surgery things to do. I want to get as much done as I can before, so when I come home, I can just recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Countdown Questions

For the hospital, since I was only there for two nights, I didn't bother taking my own, the hospital gowns were fine, plus they have robes for when you're walking the halls. Be sure to take slippers though.

For home - the sleep shirt is good, also pajamas with button tops. The long gowns may be a pain in the neck, at first anyway, twisting around your legs and bunching up
Unread 02-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Countdown Questions

Hello Mrs. Vet

I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow. When they say the hardest part is the wait....SO true. I had my date scheduled almost 4 months so you could imagine my torment.

I want to first let you know how great I feel. I have bounced back from this surgery alot better than I ever expected. I have two boys who are 9 and 10 who still need their mom enough, but I don't think they noticed too much. I would say the first week was the hardest and to find a comfortable spot to sleep. I did have a little problem with my incision and staples but it felt GREAT to have them removed.

You are not losing your mind either my dear. It is very normal to feel apprehension about a major surgery. But you know, I can't believe it's been 3 weeks already!

About sleepwear....I bought one long gown and found it wasn't much good for the first week and a half because I found it twisted around my legs and make it a little hard. I prefer pyjama pants and t-shirts and bought lots of them. I took a short nightie and pair of pjs to the hospital. I wore hospital gowns until I had my first shower and the IV taken out then I wore my own with pants. I found you didn't have to worry about *SHOWING* anything with the pants and were presentable to walk the halls without a housecoat.

The best of luck to you and before you know it, you'll be writing posts from 3 weeks post op!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2002, 03:23 PM
Countdown Questions

I wore sweats to the hospital and wore the same ones home; as I had them on for such a short time. I did take my robe and slippers, but used the hospital gowns as I was only there overnite. When I got home I wore sweats or those flannel lounging pajamas exclusively for 2 weeks. Four weeks post op they are still the most comfortable, I still have a little swelling that I hope will subside before I go back to work.

I waited 2 months before my surgery and the nerves were working overtime, wish I would have known about this website prior to surgery. Nerves are just part of the deal, and I don't know of anyway to combat them, other than keep as busy as you can. Good luck and keep in touch with any pre op concerns.

Unread 02-19-2002, 03:31 PM
Countdown Questions

I used the hospital gowns the whole time I was there..which was 3 nights. After surgery, you just don't feel like fussing and changing that much. Slippers are nice to have there..something you can just slip your feet into. Gowns or p.j.'s?? I vote for the gown. It will slip right on..nice to do when you're sore. After surgery, I was sore..and lifting my feet into p.j. pants would have been difficult. Good luck... ray:
Unread 02-19-2002, 03:33 PM
Advice

Good Luck ,
There's a good list on the pull-down menu at the home page of the web-site. I too wore Hospital gown till first shower , then a short nite shirt (long-sleeve). Slippers are a must! I also bought a short robe...what everyone says is true...long anything in the Hospital would've been too much of a hassle getting in & out of that bed!! Definitely bring a pillow to put over your tummy for the ride home...I didn't know about this till later...boy-o-boy what a ride that was!! You will need the pillow in the car for a couple of weeks . I'm 14 days post-op & doing quite well!
Best of Luck to You!!!

Nicki
Unread 02-19-2002, 08:32 PM
advise

I'm 2 wks post op today, and I have to reccomend, the hospital gown while you are there. They are just so much easier to deal with. I have been in flannel pants since my first shower. Wear something that won't twist on you when you try to turn over or just get comfortable. The Pillow is a definite must!, it is like a security blanket. Also ask about getting a binder to wear around your abdomen, it gives you a since of support. I don't know what I would have done without mine
Unread 02-19-2002, 08:46 PM
Countdown Questions

Hi Mrs Vet!!

I found the hospital garb was fine, but then I did change into my own nightie after my shower on day 2. It was a shorter nightie, as opposed to ankle-length that can twist around and get on your nerves.

I also had one of those snap-down muu-muu type housedresses like the kind my grandma used to wear, but it worked great as my lightweight robe over the hospital gown! No tying! No muss! No fuss!

Best wishes as you make this journey! Please let us know how things progress for you - there's so much you can read here to help get prepared!

s,
Unread 02-19-2002, 09:09 PM
Countdown Questions

Hi Mrs. Vet, I second that, I am 15 days post now...the first day I just wore the hospital gown because it was easy and besides I was bleeding so much I would have ruined my own, but the next morning after I took a shower it was great to put on my own gown (short is a must, because the nurses have to keep checking your pad and catheter) and use my own robe for those mandatory walks down the hall. You're right, if you have an abdominal incision you may not want anything that ties, but if you're having a TVH as I did you can wear a robe that ties, just make sure it's a generous size. Also PJs would have been nice but I had a catheter even for the first week at home so putting on pants was more difficult than just popping on a gown or muumuu type housedress. Slippers are great, the papery ones my hospital had were awful but I had some really silly ones and got a big kick out of putting them on to go down the hall. Make sure they have nonskid soles though because you might be a little unsteady on your feet at first! I also brought a very soft fleecy "throw" to put over me in bed especially the first day when I was still in the hospital gown and had visitors. It kept me warm and made me feel more like a
If hubby wants to get you something (that's so sweet!) maybe he could get you a nice lightweight robe or throw, something soft and very washable, that you can use when you get home too.
Best of luck and hugs to you!

- Linda
Unread 02-19-2002, 09:45 PM
be comfy

I took a couple extra soft brushed cotton type nightgowns to the hospital. I felt better and less "sick" being in my own clothes. I had no problem with my robe that ties. I felt better a bot covered up walking the halls. Found it so comfy that I wore my robe home rather than bother with dressing in sweats. When I got home, flannel and soft cotton Pjs with nice loose elastic waist band were no problem.

The other things I was super glad I didn't forget included: some nice scented lotion, chapstick or lip gloss, music CDs and CD player. I had a hard time focusing on the TV, was not up to reading, and the music was soothing and a distraction from the hospital noises.

Best wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register