Just diagnosed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just diagnosed Just diagnosed

Unread 02-19-2002, 08:13 PM
Just diagnosed

Hi. I'm a new traveler here. Wanted to reach out for some support from all of these wonderful people I am reading about.

My LAVH/BSO was supposed to be uneventful(thus the LAVH rather than a TAH). They even told us that everything "looked" really good post hyster. Then the call came from pathology that there was a stage 1, grade 3 ovarian cancer tumor in both ovaries. I am incredibly lucky that it is a stage one tumor but the grade 3 thing scares me.

I see the oncologist for the first time this Friday 2/22 and would appreciate any suggestions as far as questions to ask, etc. The surgeon says I will need chemo due to the tumor being grade a 3, undifferentiated, aggressive type.

I have had 2 girlfriends die of Ova Ca. Julie died 5 years ago and Jocie died 1 year ago. OvaCa was my biggest fear. I know this enters in to my anxiety as does going into the cancer treatment unknown.

I go from feeling blessed by the ovarian angels that mine was caught early to feeling scared and anxious.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2002, 09:38 PM
Just diagnosed

Hi Diane, so glad that you posted here,
Cancer is indeed scary, I dont know much about ovarian cancer but I have a friend who was diagnosed 3 yrs ago, told that she wouldnt be alive in 6 mths and is still going strong. So , each case is different.

I just wanted to let you know that we are all here for you. We have all had some type of scare with cancer and know exactly all the fears associated with it. You hang in there. love always xx
Unread 02-19-2002, 10:52 PM
Just diagnosed

Diane,
I was diagnosed with OV CA in November 2001 and like you was told everything was great after my first surgery for Ovarian cysts, only to be told a month later that those benign cells were not quite so benign. My CA 125 levels were not a big indicator for cancer as they were only 52, which is very slightly elevated. I was then scheduled for more surgery by the end of the month and ended up having everything removed, by my choice, TAH/LSO & RS and Omentectomy and Peritoneal Lavage (to collect cells). The final results was that I have Stge IIIB Grade 1 OV CA. Since this diagnosis I have started chemo and as of Thursday will be half way through my sessions, 4/8 total. The chemo drugs I am getting are Taxol and Carboplatin, which are the standard drugs combination. I have had a few interesting side effects but I can live with them. I am also part of a new study that is being done, my choice unfortunately I ended up in the control group, because I feel the followup will be better and I liked the Dr as he is my Oncologist. Feel free to email me if you want to talk or ask any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2002, 01:51 AM
Just diagnosed

Hi Diane,
Welcome to Hystersisters! So sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but I am so glad to hear that it has been found so early. This is scary stuff, but there are several of us here who have been through ovca and some required chemo, and we are doing really well. Mine was Stage 2 and I also required chemo after surgery.

Taxol/Carboplatin seem to be a very popular combination of chemo that is given, although I had 3 different drugs, those being Cisplatin/Etoposide/Bleomycin. I had 4 treatments with each being 5 days in duration, plus one drug was given every week. I have been in remission for 15 months now and doing fine. As for questions to ask the oncologist, I found that when I first met to discuss treatment, they seemed to answer everything I wanted to know, so you may find the same thing. They seem to know all our questions ahead of time, regarding chemo, and are very good at giving us all the info we need as far as side effects, duration of treatment and prognosis.

I wish you the best as you begin your chemo, and please keep us posted on how you are doing. We are all here for you Diane!

Big hugs to you!
Maria
Unread 02-20-2002, 08:57 AM
Hi Diane

I was dx'd in Oct of 2001. I have IIIB but grade 0 to 1 (somewhere between). I have LMP which hopefully will not recur. LMP is usually not treated with chemo. However since my ovca has spread to other areas, like Iknarf's, we have opted for further opinion. My paths and tissues are being sent to Johns Hopkins for another opinion as we speak. JH is a leading researcher of ovca. They have a great website for ovca and it is worth checking out.

I had an omenectomy, many lymph nodes removed, and lots of biopsy. I have been recovering well. My gyn/oncologist did my surgery. I have found her to be helpful but not the sugar coating type of person. She always cracks a joke, which is great.

You are so fortunate to have found your ovca early! I hope that your onc helps you find a good path of treatment and is compassionate. I have found that if you can just vent your fears, you will feel better. I hope that you find the support here that you are looking for.

Take Care - RobinS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register