ovarian cancer worries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovarian cancer worries ovarian cancer worries

Unread 02-20-2002, 10:00 AM
ovaca worries

hello ladies

i heve recently been diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst with a bleed, found by mistake after a visit to the doc with a totally unrelated issue, and after only one week, had a total abh with everything out, and Ca125 tests done.

The good news is that the results of the Ca125 were 12 and 14, but my mum was diagnosed with ovaca at 49 and died at 54, so all the docs and consultants have been moving very quickly indeed, they still want me in asap to have lump and everything else out, and date is booked for 2 weeks today.

i feel in a complete daze about the whole thing and although my initial fears were allayed i am still obviously v. concerned.

I am only 36 with two beautiful kids and although i wasn't planning any more kids neither was i planning sterilisation, so this whole situation has come as a big shock,

i am still in a daze and getting very weepy over the cancerscare, op, hrt, recovery, loss of future kids and am really all over the place, i feel blessed that my results are low but worried about the speed that all this has happened to me, it will only be 4 weeks from discovery to op!!!!

is there any hints, tips for pre op appt 2morrow and advice on surviving op, weepys and hrt

love to all

hope everyone else has good good news

mandy xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2002, 11:44 AM
ovarian cancer worries

Hi Mandy, I am sorry about your diagnosis but I am so glad that you found us for support.

Being weepy and emotional when you have been diagnosed is perfectly normal. All of us have been through it. Somedays are better than others. I would lie in bed in the early hours of the morning and just cry. I was so scared. But ..... it sounds like your Drs are on the ball which is a good thing.

I didnt have ovarian cancer so I dont know much about the treatments, tests but there are quite a few girls here who do . I am sure they will be along soon to advise and support.

Try to stay as positive as you can although if you feel like a then have one. Sometimes it soothes the soul.
Remember that we all know how you are feeling and if you ever need support , come here . Keeping you in my prayers . xx
Unread 02-20-2002, 12:34 PM
ovarian cancer worries

Hi Mandy,
I am so glad to hear that the tests are coming back with good news for you. I am very sorry to hear about your mom, and because ovca is in your family history I am sure the doctors are doing what they feel is best.

As Robyn said, your reaction is very normal, when faced with this surgery alone let alone with the cancer scare that you had.

I am very glad to hear that you have indeed been blessed with 2 little ones, and your concerns about not being able to have another if you decided to is very normal with this surgery as well. We have a wonderful forum called Aching Hearts on the site where many ladies have expressed this very concern, and feel free to post there as well, and you will see you are not alone.

I was 2 weeks from the discoverery of my tumor until surgery so I understand the whirlwind of having alot to deal with very quickly.

Mandy we have a list of really great pre-op questions here and I have copied the link for you. Not all will apply to you , but its a great list to pick and choose the questions that you want to be sure to ask. We all know how we forget half of what we wanted to ask when sitting in the doctors office, so I hope this helps you.

https://www.hystersisters.com/questions.php

Wishing you the very best with your surgery, and please keep us posted on how you are doing. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that all goes just fine for you.

Hugs
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Hello Mandy

Your post is so familiar to me. I have had the same feelings. I was diagnosed and had a tah/bso in a very short time frame. I'm 38. I wasn't sure I was done having kids either. My cancer came as a big shock to me.

I am confused about the "lump" that you mentioned. It is probably me and the brain fog I seem to have lately. What are you getting ready to have done? I think I see that you have already had a hysterectomy. I am thinking that they must have left your ovaries, and now those are getting taken.

Sounds like you have very proactive drs and that is wonderful! Confidence is a real boost to your spirits.

As far as being bummed, I bet all of us on this board can relate to that. The hrt thing for me is a bummer. I don't like being tied to a med this young. I can relate.

I hope you find comfort here and the support you need. Please feel free to email me anytime. RobinS
Unread 02-21-2002, 12:22 AM
ovarian cancer worries

Mandy --

Your distress is understandable. My gyn sent me for a routine ultrasound in Jan. (I visit th gyn twice a year and have an ultrasound once a year), and for the first time it showed cysts on one ovary. After that he sent me for a CA-125 test that came out really crummy (granted it's not the most accurate test in the world, but that's what's available), and the next thing I knew I was being sent to the consultation committee at the hospital.

So I'm having this totally unexpected op next week and can undertand your shock.

Let's hope for the best for both of us, and take comfort from our wonderful support network here at the Hystersisters!
Unread 02-21-2002, 08:20 AM
ovarian cancer worries

Mandy,

You just have to go through a lot of dealing with it. Grief and even relief to have it found and fear and confusion. It's just hard, but it IS doable. And you know, going through it can bring you to a good place. I was much more able to be there for my father as he died the year after my surgery than I ever possibly could have been without that experience. And so I was weirdly enough grateful. You never know where even the darkest roads might lead.

At first I was going to say Marian. It's always nice to see your name on a post--except this one!!! I'm so sorry that you're facing another surgery. They really don't know until they go in there, but at least the ultrasound caught it.

You'll be in my prayers. What date is your surgery? I'd like to send good thoughts at the time.
Unread 02-21-2002, 11:35 AM
update

hello ladies

thanks for all your positive messages of support, this site has been a godsend and you have all helped me through some very difficult days.
Just to clear one thing up, i have just reread my message and it doesn't really make sense, i haven't had a tah yet but am booked for op on 6th march, from discovery to op will be 4weeks, they are not hanging about with me.
The lump is an ovarian cyst (about the size of a grapefruit) and the tah has been elected by me to take away fear and live my life without worry.
I have been to the pre-op appt today and came away feeling very unfullfilled, saw a junior doc who couldn't answer any of my questions or allay my fears, or even discuss my op, what a lot of use she was, at least i only have 12 days to wait and a general idea of what is being done, i haven't even spoke to anyone about hrt yet!!!!!
You ladies have really been my angels and are keeping me going thank you all so very much

Love 'n' stuff
Hugs to all
Mandy xx
Unread 02-24-2002, 07:17 AM
ovarian cancer worries

Hi Mandy,
I am so sorry your pre-op did not go as well as you had hoped. Alot of times the pre-op is done by other staff than our doctors, and seems to be more to familarize the patient with what will happen on surgery day, than to provide info in our own particular cases. At least thats the way the pre-op works here in Canada.

Since you do have 12 days until your surgery , perhaps you can get an appt. with your doctor, to discuss your questions. You are entitled to ask these and get answers prior to surgery. Even if he/she could spend a few minutes on the phone with you, it may help with answers for you and alleiviate your fears.

I hope you will call, as we all know what its like to have our minds full of questions that only they can answer for us. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Mandy.

Hugs,
Maria

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register