Not Scheduled To keep the ovaries, to remove the ovaries....THAT is the question!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep the ovaries, to remove the ovaries....THAT is the question!! To keep the ovaries, to remove the ovaries....THAT is the question!!

Unread 03-23-2013, 07:14 PM
To keep the ovaries, to remove the ovaries....THAT is the question!!

I know I am going to have my hysterectomy, no if, ands, or buts about it....the question is....remove the ovaries or not? My doctor says that even though leaving them in it could mean that it would be very hard to detect ovarian cancer...that that poses a less risk than potential bone loss, heart disease, and other hormonal issues due to going through early menopause. My mom says to remove them. I don't know what to do....all I know is that I don't want to be in pain anymore. Any suggestions or words of advice?

My hysterectomy is due to extreme pain, large uterine fibroids found during my last pregnancy and there is an immediate family history of endometriosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Re: To keep the ovaries, to remove the ovaries....THAT is the question!!

I am having surgery due to fibroids as well. As far as I know, my ovaries are fine. In my family there is no history of reproductive cancers, but there is a history of heart disease and osteoporosis. Unless my doctor sees something unexpected during surgery I will keep my ovaries (she is removing uterus and cervix). My first doctor recommended taking everything and I went for a second opinion. I am not willing to give up my ovaries now (at 42) unless there is a really good reason to do so. I would trust your own instincts and the advice of your doctor. Good luck!
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM

Definitely keep researching. The more I read, the more I feel that I should keep them if at all possible. They seem healthy according to my last ultrasound, so unless something changes when he gets in there I plan to keep mine. You do have time for a second opinion too.

There are some HRT forums for sisters who had them removed or kept them. It seems that if we don't have to remove hem, they can give us good support for the rest of our lives. Definitely keep researching. Your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2013, 09:39 PM
To keep the ovaries, to remove the ovaries....THAT is the question!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpbutScared View Post
I am having surgery due to fibroids as well. As far as I know, my ovaries are fine. In my family there is no history of reproductive cancers, but there is a history of heart disease and osteoporosis. Unless my doctor sees something unexpected during surgery I will keep my ovaries (she is removing uterus and cervix). My first doctor recommended taking everything and I went for a second opinion. I am not willing to give up my ovaries now (at 42) unless there is a really good reason to do so. I would trust your own instincts and the advice of your doctor. Good luck!
Thank you. I'm 39 and don't want to go through menopause at the moment if I don't have to. My mom got hers done almost 30 years ago. Maybe then and for her it was the best option. Thinking not so much for me. Again, thank you for your words of experience.
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Hi, I'm having TAH 3/26 & I told my Dr I wanted to keep my good ovary. Other one is a mess & has complex cysts inside & out. She said ok, but if leftie comes back malignant, then there's a good chance I might have same problem with rightie. Then that would mean I should've had her take it out while she was in there. My fear are those stinkin' hormones. Would rather use my own. Co-worker said she had both removed & they gave her a hormone injection. She said she didn't take any more after that & does fine.
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:56 PM

If the ovaries are not diseased, I would definitely keep them. I really wish I could have kept one of mine ... I knew the left had to go. You are young enough that you need estrogen to protect your heart and bones. Estrogen replacement is just not the same. There are a lucky few that have no problems, but some of us have to adjust, and adjust to find the right dosage and balance. And for me, surgical menopause was no fun. It's getting better, but just the HRT has been a rollercoaster. I would avoid having to deal with it if possible.
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell41 View Post
Definitely keep researching. The more I read, the more I feel that I should keep them if at all possible. They seem healthy according to my last ultrasound, so unless something changes when he gets in there I plan to keep mine. You do have time for a second opinion too.

There are some HRT forums for sisters who had them removed or kept them. It seems that if we don't have to remove hem, they can give us good support for the rest of our lives. Definitely keep researching. Your choice.
Exactly what my doctor told me. My main concern with the hormones is that I already have enough issues with hormones, it seems. Very moody and don't even get me started on hair growth in places it shouldn't or is unwanted. I'm afraid I'll turn into a hair ape on a tirade. Thank you for your advice. Hope you are well.
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colospruce View Post
Hi, I'm having TAH 3/26 & I told my Dr I wanted to keep my good ovary. Other one is a mess & has complex cysts inside & out. She said ok, but if leftie comes back malignant, then there's a good chance I might have same problem with rightie. Then that would mean I should've had her take it out while she was in there. My fear are those stinkin' hormones. Would rather use my own. Co-worker said she had both removed & they gave her a hormone injection. She said she didn't take any more after that & does fine.
Thank you for your words of advice...I wish you luck in your surgery on the 26th. Hoping your recovery is smooth and fast.
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie 1122 View Post
If the ovaries are not diseased, I would definitely keep them. I really wish I could have kept one of mine ... I knew the left had to go. You are young enough that you need estrogen to protect your heart and bones. Estrogen replacement is just not the same. There are a lucky few that have no problems, but some of us have to adjust, and adjust to find the right dosage and balance. And for me, surgical menopause was no fun. It's getting better, but just the HRT has been a rollercoaster. I would avoid having to deal with it if possible.
Thank you. I'm sorry to hear your recovery has been a challenge...and you're right, that challenge is something I would like to avoid. I have enough "challenges" going on right now. One of my concerns was medical coverage. I now right now I have medical coverage because I am currently in the military but two years from now I will not because I will be retiring. I guess I was just thinking it would be easier to just get everything done now so I don't have to worry about it later but either way there is going to be something to worry about. Just not looking forward to going through the VA hospitals. I hear that are worse than what we get IN the military. Again, thank you...I think keeping them, if I can, is probably the best option. Hope you are able to find the right balance soon.
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Is your surgeon a gynocological oncologist? Mine was even though fortunately, the mass was a fibroid, not cancer. I did sign papers saying that they could take everything out and do the additional tissue sampling, remove lymph nodes, etc. in the event it was cancer.

At the consultation, when we were discussing the possible scenarios if it wasn't cancer, he said that I probably had 4 or 5 more years of hormones and was in favor of leaving them in, provided they were healthy. But, I should go to the geneticist and if I did have any of the genes for cancer, they could later be removed laproscopically. I do have some family history of gynocologic cancer.

The first gynocologist I spoke to just wanted to take everything out regardless of the pathology of the mass. I had also wanted to keep the cervix if possible, but they weren't able to. At least the surgeon I went with was more open to other considerations and I understand why they took it out. I didn't like just being told let's take it all out regardless. If the surgeon has said it was safer based on my family history to remove everything, I would have listened, but not with nothing to back it up.

Just prior to the surgery, the Resident asked if I wanted them out. This was not a very good time to discuss the issue as I was very nervous. I knew ahead of time that it would be a large incision due to the size of the fibroid.

I don't relish the thought of an additional surgery, but I'm in favor of at least waiting 'til the hormone output is down to a trace level. I've already had a stress fracture. We do have some heart disease in my family, so that's another consideration. Although the heart disease tends to affect the males more adversely. It tends to come later and be less severe in the females. I've already got an appointment for genectic counseling. So, even if I have the genes, maybe keeping the ovaries for another 4 or 5 years will help on the heart disease and osteoporosis issues.

I'm also glad to have the genetic counseling as my internist sent me for a mammogram and I had to get another, plus an ultrasound and repeat both in 6 months. So, I figure knowing the genetics could also be helpful in that situation.

You might want to get another opinion from a gynocologic oncologist.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register