What to do! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-21-2002, 10:55 AM
What to do!

Hi Everyone,
I'm so glad I found this site. Everyone is so supportive & helpful. I am having an SAH on 3/7, due to large recurring polyps/fibroids. I've never been much of a complainer, especially at the DR. I usually get nervous when I'm there & can't think of anything that's bothering me. By the time I go in with a "real problem" it's bothering me a whole lot. After reading so many of the posts, I'm seeing that a lot of what I'm feeling isn't just in my head or not important. I never thought to tell my DR about my back or leg pain. I've had very bad pain for years & not able to sleep more than 4-5 hours at a time without having to get up or sit up & sleep. I went to my GP once & they did an x-ray & told me I had arthritis or the neck & spine. Alas, live with it! LOL. Last year I had a gallbladder attack & had it laproscopically removed. A couple months later I had a uterine polyp/fibroid laproscopically removed. After that my back pain suddenly diminished!! Still not sure if it was the gallbladder or gyn problem. Tending to think it was the gyn because the back pain is back & so are the polyps/fibroids. Now I'm wondering if any of my other problems is somehow related to this. I have what I think is IBS (have had it as long as I can remember). Everytime I eat I'm running in about 10 minutes to the bathroom with diarrehea. My DH is always teasing me about what a waste it is to take me out for dinner. We never leave the restaurant without a bathroom visit. LOL. Has anyone had problems with this? I'm worried about the recovery & not getting to the bathroom in time!! Also bad gas pain that goes along with this. I'm definetly going to try the gas-x that was suggested. Is any of this worth mentioning to my DR at my consult on Monday? He found the polyps/fibroids during the internal sonogram. Can he see the ovaries when he does this? Will he see other problems if there are any during surgery? I'm afraid that if I didn't tell him something I should have that additional surgery might me needed (don't want that!) Sorry this is so long winded. Just feeling confused & a little nervous.
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2002, 01:10 PM
What to do!

I think you should tell your dr. ALL OF THIS. The more info he/she has the better the individual plan for your surgery will fit your specific needs.

I did not personally have all these problems, but I've seen similar posts here mentioning leg/ back pain because of pressure on the nerves. Someone who has first-hand experience should be along soon.....
Unread 02-21-2002, 01:32 PM
What to do!

Babsmv,

Hello!
I just wanted to welcome you and let you know we have many things in common. I've experienced the run to the bathroom after eating that you mentioned. Gosh, what a pain! I also have the back and leg pain. Currently, it is so bad that I can't wait to have my TAH. And surprise--, our big day is the same! (Mine was originally scheduled for 3/12 but has changed to 3/7)
I hope all goes well for you.
This site sure helps all of us know we're not alone in our struggles and triomphs!

YEAH FOR HYSTERSISTERS!

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2002, 01:58 PM
What to do!

Joanne,
Thanks for letting me know you are having the same things. You tend to think it is all in your mind after awhile. Hope all goes well with you. Please keep me updated!
Barb
Unread 02-21-2002, 05:55 PM
What to do!

Hi and welcome!

You can find a great list of questions to ask your doctor on the Pull Down Menus on our home page...scroll down to the bottom.

Most of us have had the experience of forgetting important stuff in the doctor's office. I'd suggest sitting down and making a list of all these things, leaving nothing out, and bring it with you to your doctor's appointment. Don't leave it in your purse...be sure you bring it in with you! Also bring a pad and pen, and be sure to take the time to go over your whole list, and ask ALL your questions. Write down the answers (you won't remember 1/2 of what s/he tells you!), and before you leave, double check.

The more information your doctor has, the better your treatment will be. What may seem unrelated or insignificant to you might be important in the whole big picture. You need to be an active participant in your healthcare, especially for this surgery, so be sure to speak your piece.

If the doctor knows you are "on the team", and giving and getting information, you'll get better treatment and you'll get respect, too.

Please let us know how it goes!!

s to you!

Karen
Unread 02-21-2002, 08:57 PM
What to do!

Just had to reply to this thread. I don't have IBS, but the back ache and my left leg going numb each month I can relate to.

I ignored all the warning signs my body had been giving me for about the past 4-5 years. Prior to surgery, I had back ache each and every day. Whilst having periods, it was chronic lower back pain and the last few periods my left leg had started going numb as well. I asked the gyn if any of this could be related to the uterus or fibroids and his answer was yes, quite possibly.

Well, the last line is - guess what? Since surgery I have not had even a twinge in my back. No backache at all. Ahh - bliss. And no more numb left leg. Not to mention no more bleeding or cramps either.

Regards and best wishes on your upcoming surgery.
Unread 02-22-2002, 03:17 AM
What to do!

If they did a vaginal ultrasound (maybe that's what you meant by internal) they can often see the ovaries. I know they could when mine was done. It is harder to see the ovaries on a regular ultrasound, although one of mine could be seen on that.
Unread 02-22-2002, 04:15 AM
What to do!

I am so glad that you are scheduled for surgery......I too had terrible leg pains for 2 or 3 days prior to periods and then the first 2 days of a period; and since I was having 2 periods a month, it was taking up a considerable amount of time! Coupled with the horrible abdominal pain,sometimes I could hardly walk! Other than some back pain the first day post op, I have been pain free. The post op discomfort I had was nothing compared to what I had lived with for nearly 2 years. I also tend to blank out in the docs office, so I recommend making a list, and keep it handy so you can add to it conveniently when a question pops up. I do think that being prepared with questions shows the doc that you are trying to be an informed patient. Make sure that you give him a clear picture of ALL your symptoms and how long they have been a problem. You wouldn't want him to miss anything while you are in surgery. He can only treat and fix what he knows about. Best of luck at your appt, keep us posted.

Unread 02-22-2002, 05:13 AM
Thanks!

Everyone here is so supportive! Thankyou so much for the advice & sharing your symptoms. I have started a list & will take it with me on Monday. I may even give him my list of concerns/questions so I don't freak out & forget or loose my nerve. Again thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!! Looking forward to pain free days & nights!! Good luck to you all!
Barb
Unread 02-22-2002, 05:40 AM
What to do!

Oh, definitely make a list of concerns and questions! And if there are some you can't approach your doc about, ask here, we have heard almost everything and don't embarass easily ! I doubt that you would have a question that hasn't already appeared here, so use us to the full extent!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register