OV cancer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-21-2002, 11:43 AM
OV cancer? HELP!

I am 35 years old and have never had any problems with childbirth or period. However, my doc thinks that I have a ovarian cyst. And because of my family history (mother had ov cancer, one sister has ov cyst, one sister had uterist cancer and grandmother had cancer of uterist) He feels that I should just have Hyster and not take the chance of this happening to me. Now my question is: Just because of a family history does that mean that it will happen to me. I am just really worried about this. My appt for ultra sound is in a couple of weeks and I am very scared as to what they will find. If they find nothing i am not sure what I will do. If they find something I will have the surgery.
Any one who can help please do...

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2002, 02:59 PM
Hi Royal

First - I am sorry to read that you are having these problems. I'm 38. I had never had too many problems until about three years ago. Then I had symptoms which we learned in Oct of 2001 was ovca. I do not have a family history of ovarian cancer (ovca).

I am not a doctor, so take what I say as my opinion please. From joining a support group for ovca I have learned the following things from different speakers to our group.

A way to figure out what type of cyst you have is a transvaginal ultrasound with doplar color. The doplar color can help differentiate pattern around the edge of the cyst and ovary. It can help measure the blood rate that travels through the cyst. This data can be intrepreted by a qualified certified technician and can help determine cyst composition and type. Have any ultrasound done on or within one week after your period. Since your ovary makes a cyst for an egg every month. This is the best time because your ovary should be resting from the production. The cyst that is left can then be studied.

Also - CA 125 test, this can be used as a tool with the doplar. CA125 can help indicate a malignancy. Do a search on this forum for the words CA125 and you will see all kinds of info.

CT Scan - can help determine if your cyst is clear fluid or solid.

There is so much to consider here. I hope that you find the information and support you are looking for to help you make the best decision. Working with a good dr. who can explain all the options and why they are suggesting surgery is the best.

Take Care - RobinS
Unread 02-21-2002, 08:09 PM
OV cancer?

Hi again Royal,
I had replied to your post on the Options forum and mentioned posting here, but I see you already did that!! Welcome!!

As I mentioned on that post there was not a family history of ovca in my case, so I won't be of much help, but I see Robin has shared some great info with you already, and others will be along as well I am sure to share their family history.

Again wishing you all the best with your decision and I am keeping good thoughts and prayers for you!
Hugs
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2002, 09:02 AM
OV cancer?

Hi royal

Just a quick note as i am going to send you a pm with my story and hope to help you through what you are going through.

I too have had no previous probs, and went to gp with diarrhoea and while examining me he found a lump (turned out to be cyst ) on my ovary, my mum had ovca and died at 54 so after much consideration have decided to have abh bso to take the risk of this happening to me away.

It was a very very hard decision and although i am sure i have made the right decision it is still the scariest thing i have ever done.

My op is booked for 6th march, and i am so scared and frightened, if you need someone to share your worries and fears with e-mail me direct

[email protected]

or leave a pm for me, i have been on this site continuously since my diagnosis and it has really helped me to moan and chat about my problems.

Keep your chim up and fingers crossed

My thoughts are with you

Love 'n' stuff

Mandy xx
Unread 02-22-2002, 10:50 PM
OV cancer?

Royal,

Hi again. I responded to one of your other posts earlier. I am so sorry you have this worry right now. I know how scared you are. I went through the exact same thing.

Just take a deep breath, and have all the tests the doctor recommends. Robin has given you a good overview of what is available. In my particular case, my cyst was missed with a transvaginal ultrasound, but was picked up on CT scan. So, go with as many tests as you can. As scarey as each one is, it is better to have really good information so you can make an informed decision. None of the tests are painful, so don't worry about that aspect.

Mandy,

Hi to you, too, sweetie! I know you are getting more nervous as the day gets closer, but you will be amazed at how much easier the surgery is than you think it will be. It is hard to get it out of your mind, but try to do things that are relaxing and peaceful. I stayed really busy physically, and I found I slept better at night. If you can get outdoors a little each day, I think the fresh air helps an awful lot. I asked many people to pray for me, and that brought me tremendous comfort. And, near the end of my waiting time, I had a peace settle on me.

Please stay in touch and let us help you through this time. Then, we will be looking for you in post op!

Blessings and s to you both!!
Unread 02-24-2002, 07:52 PM
OV cancer?

Hi Royal,

I won't be alot of help to you with the family history risks, I have had alot of cancer in my family but my particular type of ovarian cancer was a type linked to the type of breast cancer my mom had.

At one point prior to my surgery, I had a discussion with my Dr regarding Gene testing. I'm not sure if all types of ovarian will show up on these types of tests but from what I understand mine would have due to the link and would have been identified with the same BRCA2 gene. I'm not sure if this might also be an option to check into.

More insurance companies are covering this test although as in mine, it had some pretty strict guidelines to follow. For instance, mine would cover it when "2" immediate family members had been diagnosed. Their guideline on "immediate" family was restricted to mother, father, sister and brother, children would have also applied had I had any.

I hope your tests results come back okay and turn out to be nothing to worry about. I can understand your feelings and know that waiting is never easy.

Take care and please keep us posted on how your results turn out.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 02-27-2002, 08:27 AM
Ovarian Cancer Worries

Hi Royal,

I have similar family history but with fewer family members involved. My mother died of ovarian cancer in 1987 at age 48. I was 30 then, am 44 now. My doctors have been watching me very closely because of my increased risk of getting ovarian cancer. Each year I have had a CA 125 and a transvaginal ultrasound. For the past 5 years or so, the ultrasound has showed simple cysts on the ovaries. Each time I had to go back to the doctor for a follow up ultrasound to see if the cysts resolved. Sometimes they did, but then others would form. Other times they were gone. This usually meant 3 or 4 ultrasounds over a 6 month period of time! But it gave me peace of mind.

The last ultrasound was a follow-up as well. That was two weeks ago. Instead of the cysts resolving, I had multiple cysts on one side. My doc said it was time to consider removing the ovaries as a precaution. I conferred with my family doc and an oncologist as well. Everyone was in agreement. Here's what I know...the average woman has a 1% change of getting ovarian cancer. My risk is 3 times higher because of my mother. I have more like a 3% chance of getting it. Removing my ovaries now reduces the risk of getting ovarian cancer, but does NOT guarantee that I will not get it later.

In looking at all the options of surgery, we decided to remove everything - ovaries, tubes, uterus, and cervix. There were several reasons for this decision. I am 44, have two children and don't plan to have any more, and don't want to risk having to go back for another surgery later if something else comes up. I think it's a good decision, but am also still pre-op. My surgery is next week, March 6th.

This is a big deal for me. I'm nervous about the operation, don't like the idea of being under general anesthesia, hate the thought of stuff being put inside my body, etc. I'm also a busy working woman so am bugged by missing a month of work and not being able to do the things I normally do. BUT, all of that is nothing compared to the later consequences if I don't.

I will be keeping good thoughts for you. E-mail me privately if you ever want to talk and compare stories, etc.

Crystal Swank,
Reno, Nevada
:email:
[email protected]
Unread 03-15-2002, 09:33 AM
OV cancer?

Just an update,

Had my Ultra sound yesterday. Will find the results on monday.
Weird thing however, during the ultra sound the tech also took pics of my kidneys. Is that normal?
Unread 03-15-2002, 01:36 PM
OV cancer?

Hi Royal,
So glad to hear you had your ultrasound! When I had mine done they did look at my kidneys too, and actually I think they had a look at everything else they could see there as well. Perhaps its just a standard thing they do. I know waiting for the results is hard, but keep positive thoughts!! I will keep you in my prayers that all turns out fine!! Let us know how you make out!
Sending big hugs to you from the east coast!!
Maria
Unread 03-18-2002, 11:00 AM
OV cancer?

Back from doc, all is fine, small cyst on one ovary and some fibroid tissue. doc says that all is ok will just need to have more regular checkups. and Ultra sounds every six months. I am so relived.
Thanks for all of your support.

Royal

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register