Can scar tissue/adhesion redevelop after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can scar tissue/adhesion redevelop after hysterectomy? Can scar tissue/adhesion redevelop after hysterectomy?

Unread 02-21-2002, 11:51 AM
Can scar tissue/adhesion redevelop after hysterectomy?

I have to have a total hysterectomy, part of the problem due to adhesions and my organs being stuck together. Will this scar tissue grow back? and what questions can I ask my gyn about this? (I'm trying to get all the info I can before I have my surgery).
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2002, 05:43 PM

Gracie,
Hi there, I'm in northeast Ohio too! As for adhesions, I have read that you can develop adhesions after any surgical procedure. But the adhesions you have now could be caused by something else ... like endometriosis. Is that your situation? I would ask your dr about adhesions following surgery, versus the probable cause of the adhesions you have now.

If you're willing, tell us about your reasons for having your hyst. There may be other ladies here who can share their experiences with you and help ease your mind. I had a TAH/BSO 12 weeks ago today and I'm doing really well. Life is good! Best of luck to you, Gracie!

Beth
Unread 02-21-2002, 05:49 PM

I also had a big problem with adhesions from prior surgeries. My hyster took a very long time, because they had to carefully dissect my ureters and bladder out from all the gunk...and they couldn't even identify my ovaries on the path report.

I would also discuss the cause of your adhesions with your doctor...and try running a search here. I have come to believe that how you proceed during recovery has a great deal to do with the development of adhesions...take it absolutely slow and easy for the full 6 to 8 weeks. NO lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, NO housework, no over exertion of any kind. I think this initial investment in extra careful recovery helped me tremendously this time. My doctor is very pleased with the healing and I have been amazingly pain free...I can predict the weather a little, but not like before!!!

Read all you can, and talk it over with your doctor, but this seems to be working for me!!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 04:03 PM

Thank you for your replys, right now I'm so freaked out I can't think straight, my surgery will probably be in April, just have to pick up the phone to make the appointment. I don't know what kind of scar tissue I have, but I believe he did mention my last lap was negative on the endo. My insides were at that time like a ball of yarn before that lap. Now I'm bound down again with a huge cyst on my right ovary that is making me anemic. He said I could have another lap to get rid of the cyst because it has to come out soon and add the removal of scar tissue, but I'd be back again in 2 years, or I could have a hysterectomy, an option that he does not suggest lightly. I only felt good about 5 months after my last lap and a year and half later I feel like crap 98% of the time. I'm kind of where I'm terrified to have this surgery (never been in the hospital, don't know what to expect, scared of the outcome) and I'm terrified to live my life the way it is now. I feel like I'm having a breakdown or that I can't believe this is happening to me, in other words I'm a mess.
Unread 02-23-2002, 06:50 PM

Dear Gracie,
Oh my, you do sound frazzled. Take a deep breath.

Does your doctor believe that with a hyst (ovary removal too?) your problems with adhesions will end? I'm a little confused as to what is causing the adhesions if it is not endo ... is it just the result of prior laps? Is there some other problem, such as infection? Seems to me that if you're contemplating a hyst, you should have some sort of assurance that you won't be back having surgery again in a couple of years for more adhesion removal.

Karen's advice about REALLY taking it easy post op is something you should heed, if you do have the hyst. She's been there, in terms of adhesion problems following prior surgeries.

Gracie, hang in there. The decision to have a hyst is tough for all of us, no matter how much we are suffering. It's not something to take lightly. Ask any other questions you have, we'll be here for you. You and I are lucky to be in NE Ohio ... there are great docs and great hospitals in this area. Even if you've never stayed overnight at the castle, it sounds like you've had prior surgeries. That's the hard part. Staying for a couple of days after usually is no big deal. Sending big hugs your way ...

Beth
Unread 02-24-2002, 05:49 AM

Hi Beth,
To answer your scar tissue question and why my reason for hysterectomy, on my first lap the gyn, at that time, said I had a previous infection possibly causing the scar tissue, though I have no recollection of one. (I've had 1 bladder infection and 1 yeast infection my whole life). I do/did have a bad problem with Irritable Bowel and some pretty severe intestinal ulcers. My new gyn said that infection from the intestines "may" have caused it, but really the 4 gyns that I've been to have never answered that one. About 15 years ago I had a leap procedure on my cervix for pre-cancerous cells and have never had a reaccurance so I have no idea. I will add this to my list of questions for my gyn. I decided on the hysterectomy because coming back every couple years and only having about 5 months pain relief is destroying my life. It took me 2 years to reach this decision and like I said I'm scared either way I go. My laps never gave me the lasting relief and I hope and pray this will give me the relief I'm seeking, I've been going thru this since I was in my early 20's. (I also have had fibroid removal, my tubes are scarred and blocked, I have a huge growing cyst on my right ovary (very worried of this one), my left ovary is stuck to my intestines, my bladder and uterus are stuck together. I'm am also going to ask about some new stuff that they can put in you to keep tissue from growing back. I'll know more after I talk to him again. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!! THANKS AGAIN, just talking is helping.
Unread 02-24-2002, 05:57 AM

Dear Gracie,
I'm no doctor, but all these adhesions make me think of endo. That' probably because I had severe endo myself. As for the "stuff they can put in you" after surgery to prevent adhesions ... I didn't know my surgeons planned to do this but after getting a copy of my surgical report (something I'd recommend that all ladies do post op) I read that they used Interceed (the product you refer to) in my recto-vaginal area where the endo was really bad and on top of the vaginal cuff. I was glad to see this, even though I've read that some ladies STILL get adhesions.

Be sure to write down all of your questions before your next dr visit. You don't want to forget anything important ... another thing I'd recommend is that you have DH or some other person go to your appt with you to hear what your dr says. Our minds have a way of "checking out" when we start to hear things that are scary, so it helps to have another person there hearing things right along with you. I'm thinking about you and hoping your get good answers and some sort of confirmation that a hyst has a good chance of ending your cycle of adhesion growth! Let us know what you find out!

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register