Anyone else had this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else had this? Anyone else had this?

Unread 02-22-2002, 04:47 PM
Anyone else had this?

My (not yet made) decision to have a TAH comes from an unsuccessful UAE (Uterine Artery Embolization) last August which did not shrink my monster fibroid.

Aside from the UAE part of the story, is there anyone else out there who had the hysterectomy because of one large monster fibroid?

Mine is 18 x 16 x 13 cm.

I have lots of questions to ask before I make this decision.
Thanks.

Considering princesshood,
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2002, 07:00 PM
Anyone else had this?

Barb,
I can't say I had a monster fibroid like yours, but I did have fibroids, among other things! I had a lap myomectomy last June to have two fibroids removed, one the size of a golf ball, the other the size of my doc's fist (his description). These pale in comparison to yours. I'm sorry to hear that the embolization did not work.
Many ladies here have had their hysts due to large fibroids, so I'm sure someone will be along who can share their experiences.
Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!

Beth
Unread 02-22-2002, 07:53 PM
Anyone else had this?

Hi and welcome!

I think I've had the prize winner around here...my biggest fibroid was growing on a stalk attached my uterus...it was 27cm long! The fibroid weighed almost as much as my entire uterus (which had eight other fibroids as well!)

I had a laser myomectomy (abdominal) in 1989 for recurring fibroids which (guess what!) grew back with a vengeance.

I put off my hyster for years, having laps in between to try to combat the severe adhesions that I developed, to no avail. I finally gave in and had the hyster in March 2001...and I can honestly tell you that I wish I done it much sooner. The difference in how I feel is just unbelievable.

Keep reading, post all your questions, talk to your doctors, and I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you. For me, this was a truly life changing, life enhancing surgery. I am a much better ME now that I am pain and fibroid free!!

Please feel free to email me if you would like. Best of luck!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2002, 08:35 PM
Anyone else had this?

Can I ask why the UAE/UFE didn't work? I have a 10cm fibroid and my gyn wants to do a TAH/BSO, but the more I read about UAE, the more appealing it sounds, and I've really been leaning towards getting a second opinion even though my GYN is very good. However, if it isn't going to work.....?

Margie
Unread 02-22-2002, 08:35 PM
Welcome

Each woman has to make that decision and it is hard. I agree with Karen I wish I had done mine sooner also. Sometimes it just takes getting so bad you can't do anything else to relieve it. Read the boards and pull downs and talk with your DR. Your DR can tell you all about the medical side so you will know what that entails. God bless. Good luck with the decision making.
Unread 02-23-2002, 04:03 AM
hyst for large fibroid

I have a fibroid about the size of a softball, not as big as yours ( I don't think, I'm not good with metric) but, causing all sorts of problems, I bled for almost 3 months straight, had/have crippling cramps, and just felt, well, really poopy all the time. I'm waiting to hear from my Dr. office on a castle date right now, I'm going to be having just my uterus removed, at least thats the plan. I guess we'll have to wait till we get in there to see what all is going on. So you're not alone, this place has been a god send ask any question and somoene will always be here to help.
:
Unread 02-23-2002, 04:56 AM
Anyone else had this?

I have and had fibroids. 3 years ago, I had an abdominal myomectomy, but they grew back, and now I am scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy. My fibroids are not as big as your fibroids are. I am also waiting to see if I need a bladder tack done also due to stress incontinence. I am happy I am having a hysterectomy, because maybe I will get my life back. To have or not to have surgery is a very personal choice... all I can tell you is from my experience I can't wait to have em removed. Good luck, and I know you will make the best choice for you...
Unread 02-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Anyone else had this?

I had a abdominal myomectomy 4 years ago and they removed 3-5 fibroids (can't remember the number now), leaving some that were "too close to the blood supply" to remove. Gee, guess what happened? They grew back with a vengeance. I now have 10.

I wasn't totally prepared for the post op -- I even remember saying that I wish I had never done it. I have thought long and hard about having the hysterectomy, remembering the post op hell, but I need to do it. The few weeks of discomfort will be a better payoff than the years of pain, heavy bleeding, incontinence, and God only know what else could occur if I don't have the hysterectomy.

Mine is scheduled 4/2 (NOT April Fool's Day!), and I can't wait to get these little monsters out of my body.

Good luck with your decision.

Betsy 44
Unread 02-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Anyone else had this?

I was told that mine was the size of a volleyball when I had my tah/bso on 12/28. The doctor had to make a vertical incision to remove. Yet, it only weighed 5 pounds (I was hoping for 20). It had grown fast and furious (was discovered at grapefruit size and was removed 2 1/2 months later at the aforementioned volleyball size). It had gotten really weird looking on ultrasounds (pockets of liquid or semi-liquid). That combined with its rapid growth really worried the doctors who could not tell if it was a rapidly degenerating fibroid or a sarcoma. I lost a lot of blood in surgery, but did not need to be transfused.

I am the poster child for a great recovery. All restrictions removed at 4 1/2 weeks. I'm now at 8 weeks post-op and feel like nothing ever happened. I don't even think twice about lifting my 6 year old (50 pounds). I actually feel better than I did before the surgery although to be honest, I was relatively symptom free. I had researched the UAE route but decided against it (before the fibroid went so weird on me that it was actually an option). My fibroid was intercavity (smack in the middle of my uterus). The cases of complication that I was finding seemed to be related to large intercavity fibroids which would sometimes try to expel through the cervix after the procedure.
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:42 AM
Anyone else had this?

Hi
I made my decision to have a TAH last week due to huge multiple fibroids. I too waited and went back and forth trying to make a decision. I don't suffer from excessive bleeding but my uterus is now so huge and the pressure and discomfort of all the weight "down there" finally got to me. I made the decision to have the TAH and I am in waiting. My surgery is 3/12/02.
I am 45 and I was told if I could hold out and get through menopause, my fibroids would shrink. Well, I have maybe another 5 or more years to "hold out" and I don't want to spend these years in discomfort. So I am going for it!!
Good luck to you in making your decision!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register