Anyone else had this? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else had this? Anyone else had this?

Unread 02-24-2002, 08:07 AM
Anyone else had this?

I have fibroids, not sure how many or how big. They are tellig me from the u/s that there are at least 2 of them, 3" around? Hm, so I have 2 tennis balls inside me, lovely!

Besides that, I have tons of scar tissue and painful, periods and sex.

Yes, it's a difficult decision to make. But, my quality of life will be so much better after the surgery.

I can drive my car, once I'm healed, without pain. I can sleep at night. OH! And sex, I cannot wait for that!

I'm 37 and I'm in the beginning of menopause already, for 2 years now. So, in taking the HRT, Prempro, I have a feeling that made the fibroids grow.

What are fibroids made out of anyway? Doctor told me that they are never cancerous...

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 03:08 PM
Anyone else had this?

Sara,
Fibroids are made of dense muscle tissue. Although it is extremely rare for them to be cancerous, there is such a thing as cancerous fibroids.

Hugs to all

Beth
Unread 02-24-2002, 04:37 PM
Anyone else had this?

Fibroids are benign. The problem is that there is a cancerous tumor called a uterine sarcoma. Although a separate thing, there are times that the doctors cannot distinguish between a fibroid and a uterine sarcoma without removal of the tumor. A degenerating fibroid and uterine sarcoma are very similar in appearance on an ultrasound. My oncologist even thought that we had trouble when he removed my tumor because of the way it looked, but the pathology came back as massive degenerating fibroid.

Uterine sarcomas are very rare. But, they are also very dangerous and best to get out right away if a sarcoma can't be ruled out.

If your doctor has told you that you have fibroids, chances are there is nothing unusual in its behavior and he has ruled out sarcoma. You are then pretty safe to take your time in your decision making process about how to treat as long as you are not suffering from it, or in a dangerous situation (i.e. so large that it cuts off bladder function). My mother had a fibroid that was on the outside wall of her uterus. She never had to have it removed and it did shrink at menopause. I, on the other hand, had a rapidly enlarging fibroid smack in the center of my uterus that was pressing on my bladder and rectum plus acting strangely. I needed the tah/bso (I could have opted to keep the ovaries, but that is another story).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 04:54 PM
Anyone else had this?

I'm having a UAE tomorrow morning! This is my greatest fear--that it will be a failure. My fibroid is also huge--18 cm--and I'm wondering why yours didn't work? Can they tell from an MRI? I've heard that another blood supply can develop and feed the fibroid. Did you have a bilateral UAE? Could it be the skill of the doctor? Maybe you still have time to see results! Let us know.
Unread 02-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Anyone else had this?

Franky, I am having a TAH so I don't have to buy new pants. Well...just kidding - but that's what it really got down to - turns out my uterus is huge with fibroids. My pants are tight, I feel full and all bloated all the time.

I had a myomec/lap back in 1994 for 'broids and endo. Now, since it is obvious my only children will be my dear hubby, two dogs and two cats...it's time to get rid of this junk.

Don't know what size the 'broids are now...but last time one measured 7x5x5 cm with many others excised as well. Just how is it that our bodies can support these things so rather well? Amazing. Thank goodness for tunic length tops and Gloria Vanderbelt stretch jeans.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register