This is gross but I had to ask | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This is gross but I had to ask This is gross but I had to ask

Unread 02-22-2002, 04:50 PM
This is gross but I had to ask

I've read many, many postings about having to drink that wonderful liquid to clean out your plumbing but my doctor said nothing about it. I just have to fast after midnight until surgery.
Shouldn't I also be concerned about having my bowels empty?

Has anyone else had surgery without having to clean there colon out?

I know this isn't a pleasant subject but I sure want to know.

Thank you.

Sheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2002, 04:57 PM

I had no bowel prep, but I was not supposed to eat anything after 6 at nite for a 9 am surgury, I'm suprised after reading the posts from the other sisters That I didn't get a bowel prep ordered, they did do a douche thingy
at admitting which was no big deal.
Unread 02-22-2002, 05:01 PM

Hi Sheryl!

Good question! If the DR didn't order a specific bowel prep, then don't do anything on your own. They are particular about this, and have specific reasoning. I had to drink the special 'cocktail' the day before my surgery, but many others didn't. It tends to dehydrate, leaving the veins difficult to get IVs into.

Best wishes-- and HUGS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2002, 05:22 PM
DIDNT HAVE TO B.PREP..

Well if doc wants it do as your told..I guess.
My doc had me wear these long TIGHT stockings, went all the way up to vag. area., then they laid me down and put on a Massager on each leg, then I was in heaven! Felt so good.
I wanted something to relax me and he said no. HUH? Is what I thought. But I didnt have to wait long AT ALL, for my surgery, maybe 20 minutes! It was all over with so fast, however I remember feeling like I really had been asleep for a long time!

Good luck with your stay at the castle.

Gwen M 8/21/01 TAH.BSO

update..now scheduled for adesion removal 3/17/02-I had 4 presvious ab. incsions befor TAH..so it's common.
Unread 02-22-2002, 05:44 PM

{{{Hi Sheryl}}}

Each doctor and each procedure may have different bowel prep instructions. In my case, I had to use a Fleet's enema the night before and nothing to eat or drink after midnight.

Since your surgery isn't until next week, you could always call the doctor's office just to double check. But Toonces is absolutely right, don't do anything on your own. (Not that you would voluntarily want to take an enema, if not needed)

{{{ Gwen}}}, I remember those stockings, they were nice and warm, weren't they?

Karen
Unread 02-22-2002, 07:02 PM

Hi...the ladies here are 100% correct! Each doctor has very specific orders and preferences...and they may be different for each patient. Everything that is ordered or not ordered reflects your individual medical condition.

PLEASE be sure to follow ALL your doctor's orders, adding nothing and deleting nothing! This goes for taking vitamins, medication, (over the counter OR prescription) supplements, pain meds, etc.

Not following the orders can result in your surgery getting postponed...so please, do exactly as they tell you!!

s to you!!!!

Karen
Unread 02-22-2002, 07:14 PM

I'm still amazed my Dr didn't do that, now that I think back I guess the pre op nurse said if I felt constipated to use a Fleet enema, I didn't have any poop problems because it wasn't ordered, I'm glad I didn't have to do it, but of course if it is ordered by your Dr you should do it.
Unread 02-23-2002, 10:15 AM

I didn't have a bowel prep either. I asked my doc about it, and he said they don't do that anymore. He also said they don't use that morphine pump anymore, just meds through IV and pills. I never asked why. I just couldn't eat after 12PM for my 8:45 surgery. My bowels recovered quickly, within a week after my surgery, and I was surprised because I have irritable bowel. Ask your doc and ask why or why not. Good luck!
Unread 02-23-2002, 11:05 AM

Wow, Lesley, I wish I had your doc!

I have to drink the "Go-Lite" the day before and nothing by mouth after midnight.

I will have to ask specific questions at my pre-op when I get the stuff, because I'm scared to death. The surgeon told me not to go anywhere in the afternoon, as I will be chained to the toliet! ACK! Talk about nerves!!

And all she talked about was the Morphine pump. I hate drugs, I don't like being over-medicated...I may miss something!

Sara
Unread 02-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Fleet enema

When I went to my pre-op visit at the doctor's office and then at the hospital, I was told to use a Fleet enema...mid-evening the night before surgery in order to give my body plenty of time to clean out everything. Maybe you should ask about it. I have had to use one for other surgeries, too.

enbeejay :

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register