This is gross but I had to ask - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This is gross but I had to ask This is gross but I had to ask

Unread 02-23-2002, 11:31 AM
This is gross but I had to ask

I'm surprised to hear that your doctor doesn't use the PCA pump. It may not be for everyone, but it is pretty much the "state of the art" pain management tool these days. And "they" certainly do prescribe bowel preps. Perhaps he does not, but he should take care not to generalize!

Again, let me stress that each patient's specific medical condition dictates the type of prep that the doctor will order. Some women have adhesions or other intestinal involvement that needs a flattened bowel to be addressed properly. Some women's conditions do not have bowel involvement, so no prep is necessary.

Your doctor has the final say, and believe me, if no prep is ordered it is NOT because s/he "forgot" or neglected to mention it. By all means ask about this and anything else you want to know, but PLEASE don't think that because someone else did or did not need any bowel prep, that your doctor is somehow doing something wrong. It may be unpleasant (but really no big deal), but it's just another thing to get past.

The Go-Lytely is icky...keep it cold and drink it with a straw. It will NOT have you chained to the bathroom...just eat lightly the day before so you don't have to pass a steak or anything. Get a good book or magazine, and stay close the bathroom. You'll have to go, but you won't be languishing there for days. Please don't worry!!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 11:49 AM
Bowel Prep

I had no bowel prep either. My doctor said "they" don't do it anymore, but I took it to mean that the particular , and hospital don't require it. I was told nothing by mouth after midnight, but I could use my TUMS for heartburn and have little sips of water in the morning if my mouth was really dry. I had a 10:00am surgery and the only thing I wanted was my coffee!!!!
I finally decided to ask my doc the day before surgery about the bowel prep. You should ask yours, he is the best person to tell you exactly what you need to do or not to do.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
Kelkie(kelly)
Unread 02-23-2002, 11:59 AM

To Sara:

Like Karen said, don't worry; it's really not that bad. I poured it over ICE and drank it really quick thru a straw. The nurse had told me not to sip it or to take a long time to drink it - I think she said I had to drink the whole thing within 15 or 20 minutes. The worst part of it that I can remember was wondering WHEN the stuff would start working.... turns out it didn't start 'working' for nearly 5 hours! (maybe because it was so cold???) Staying near a bathroom might not be a bad idea.

And about the pain meds: for me, I was never 'out of it' at all. I hit the button every time the pain started and it worked really well for the pain and did not alter my perception or make me groggy at all. I was aware of everything. I would not hesitate to get my pain meds, as once pain is in full force, it's really hard at that point to bring it to a tolerable level.

Keep a positive attitude and let them take good care of you. I hope everything goes really well for all of you Ladies in Waiting.

((((((HUGS))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 01:24 PM

Hi Sheryl,

After reading all these posts, and some other ones, I realized each prep seems to be different. I have no idea why either

I have to take a fleet enema Sunday evening, and two betadine douches. One Sunday evening, and the other one on Monday before I go to the hospital. I look at it as, just another gross thing I have to do , but I'll survive.

I didn't have the paper with me when I went to get the fleet (one was an enema, the other a bowel prep...both called fleet), so I asked the pharmacist after seeing two different kinds. She told me that unless they are actually going inside the bowel, the bowel prep is not needed. The anestetic stops the bowels during surgery.

So, I'll do what my doctor ordered, even if it is not something someone else had. I guess the one rule to follow is... follow your instructions.

Chris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register