bikini cut? have cervix removed? and healing time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bikini cut?  have cervix removed? and healing time bikini cut? have cervix removed? and healing time

Unread 02-22-2002, 10:57 PM
bikini cut? have cervix removed? and healing time

Hi, I'm scheduled for surgery March 5th. I had laproscopic surgery 3 weeks ago and found cysts on my ovaries which were removed. The cysts are back. I had hoped that my doctor would remove the uterus and ovaries vaginally, but, she says that isn't possible. She feels I will hemorrage since I'm so small, so, she wants to do a bikini cut. Curious about the healing time and the possibility of getting muscle tone back. I'm 46 and proud of my flat stomach and don't want to lose it. Guess I'm being a bit vane, but...... I enjoy working out and I think I would go into a depression if I couldn't get back into shape. My main objective is to get rid of the pain and get on with my life. Guess I just want it all. Also, is having the cervix removed a normal part of the surgery or just an option? I had never thought of it until I talked to my mom and found she had hers removed, but, that was 20 years ago. I still have questions to ask the doc before I go in and need a little input from those of you who have already been in this position.

Sorry for all the rambling..................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 01:25 AM

I also am having a bikini cut done. told me it would be just above the hair line. I can live with that. I just hope that I will also get back my flat stomach. It has been a little pouchy for the last few years and hard as a rock. I know that my fibroid is a good size also that my uterus is enlarged so I hope it will disappear when she removes it all. Maybe someone else here will be able to answer that question. As far as recuperation goes I know it will be several months and your Dr will let you know when you can start exercising again.
Unread 02-23-2002, 07:25 AM

I had a bikini cut with my first baby...I'm little too. And a horizontal with the second kiddo. And another cut horizontal for the tubal a year later.

I'm looking forward to having a bikini cut for my TAH

As far as healing time, 6 weeks was it for me when I had a kid. That's tons harder on you, IMHO than going through an H! Only because you have more pressure to care for a baby. I wasn't allowed to pick up anything heavier than the baby for 6 weeks. No stairs, just once a day...so I got everything I needed for the day and stayed downstairs all day.

Listen to your body about exercising. I was knocked on my butt with those surgeries and I had surgery 2 years ago on my face. That one was a hard recovery also.

The usual time for healing is 6-8 weeks, but, ask your doctor when you go in for your follow-ups.

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 08:11 AM
Bikini's, Cervix's, Flat tummies!!

Hello there pluto

I am glad you found hystersisters. This truly is a great place to get support and tons of info.

As for your flat tummy. If you are in good shape already and not over weight it is not very hard to get back into shape. Actually being fit as you are your recovery will prolly go very well. Of course i am going on my on opinion here. It just makes good sense. Ask your Dr about this as well.

a TAH with a horizontal (bikini) cut. This is what i had. The first week it was tender. some times more than others. But after that it started to feel better every day. Most women (me included) get numb areas around the incision. This is from nerves being cut. The feeling does come back slowly but i have heard some small areas can stay numb for quite a while.

This is not like a C-Cection. Recovery from a cection is a lot less compared to a hyster. A hyster recovery time is 6-8 weeks give or take. I was cleared to resume life at 5 weeks. We all heal differently. At 6 weeks you are approx healed 40-60% it takes up to a year for 100% recovery.

The Cervix. The cervix is commonly removed with a TAH. Sinse the cervix is concidered the mouth of the uterus it also normally is removed. In my case there was no choice. I had high level dysplasia of my cervcix which is pre-cancer. I will tell you this. I feel no difference with it gone. I have resumed a healthy sex life and it is (good) . my love dbf says he feels nothing different other than the backvaginal wall feels like it is a bit tighter.

Please gather all the info you can.. Make a list of questions for your Dr as you do your searching. I found this to be helpful for me. I went in with a nice list to read off to my Dr one by one and get my answers

Take care and be well
Unread 02-23-2002, 10:17 AM
Fitbug's site

Hi, Pluto! Fitbug has an excellent site for exercise after abdominal surgery. She is a hystersister who is a certified personal trainer. You can find her link at the thread "Helpful Links". You can do short easy walks after surgery, but should wait for true exercise until the dr clears you at 6-8 weeks. If you are having abdominal hyst, you may have "swelly belly" more than with a vag hyst. and that may trouble you since you love your flat tummy! But I found that the worst of my swelling went down after a couple months, and then each month after that it got a little better. If you do too much activity or are on your feet too much, that can increase the swelling. So you must let your tissues heal, as this is major surgery with many, many stitches internally. Allow yourself to accept a round belly for a few weeks, and be nice to your body! Best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 02-23-2002, 10:43 AM

I had a c-section in 1982 and a tubal using the same horizontal incision in 1987. On Jan 11 I had a TAH/BSO using the same incision. The recovery from the hyst was far tougher than the c-section or the tubal. This surgery takes a lot longer and all of your internal organs are handled.

I was taking care of my baby and the house once I came home from the c-section. I am now 6 weeks post op from the hyst and still have no energy and aches and pains. With ovary removal you also have the hormone issue to contend with.

My doctor said to wait at least 8 weeks before exercising again - other than walking.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 02-23-2002, 10:51 AM

Oh! Fran, thank you for warning me! I have been going on the advice of well-meaning friends, these are women that have never had a c-section or an H!

So, y'all just ignore me, *lol* I will be back afterwards with a comparison!

Sara
Unread 02-23-2002, 01:16 PM

Hi,
I took a long list of ? in for my pre-op- including the list of excercises on this web site. Doc said ok as long as no pain. Your Paying lot`s of $$$ ask your doctor about excercises. I used the ? list on this site and as time passed added more till time for my appt. Made me feel alot better. Good luck
Lucy2
Unread 02-23-2002, 02:05 PM

Sara,

I hope I didn't scare you! It is just my opinion that a c-section and a hyst are nothing alike. I was warned before my surgery and was glad that I was because I had an idea of what to expect.
Unread 02-23-2002, 02:45 PM

Just to add my 2 cents worth regarding the bikini cut. I had one also (9/27/00) and was more or less feeling like myself at 6 weeks post. I did get a bit more tired for awhile, and a little bit of soreness and/or pulling feelings in my incision area up to about 8 months post, but that was about it. As for the stomach tightness, after the surgical swelling referred to here as "swelly belly" was gone, my stomach returned to it's pre-op size. My MD explained to me that no muscles are cut in this surgery, just pushed aside. So my opinion is that you should be able to get back to your "abs of steel" fairly easily once you are able to work out again.

My best wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register