OvCa and HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-23-2002, 09:57 PM
OvCa and HRT

I am not getting a straight answer from my oncologist regarding whether to take HRT with the OvCa diagnosis. She just says there isn't alot of info. on it and if I have symptoms that warrant it to go ahead (I'm only 2 weeks post surgery- no symptoms other than the weepy's and breast tenderness yet). :cry:

What are others with OvCa doing and what have your oncologists or other MD's told you about HRT?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks for being here - it's my lifeline.

Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 06:58 AM
OvCa and HRT

Hi Diane,
Yes, it sure can be confusing can't it? Well...I had ovca, and I am on estrogen. I believe certain strains can and certain cannot take estrogen, so it really comes down to what strain/type of cancer cell is involved.

With my strain I am able to take estrogen, I have osteopenia, ( thinning bone density), so the estrogen along with a bone building drug, and high dose calcium supplements, are all helping with that. So because of that, I am very glad that I am able to take it.
My estrogen is in gel form and I just rub a pre-measured dose of it into each arm everyday, and thats it for the day.

It does seem to be confusing though as to why some can take it and others cannot. Its all got to do with how estrogen affects the type of cancer cell I believe. I am sure someone will be along shortly with a better explaination of this for you.

Best of luck to you Diane,
Hugs
Maria
Unread 02-24-2002, 08:16 PM
OvCa and HRT

Hi Diane!

Well, I'm just about as confused by it as you are and can only tell you what I've been told by my oncologist.

As Maria mentioned, there are different types of ovarian cancer, some from what I understand tend to be estrogen receptive and some like Maria's aren't. The type I had is the type that is estrogen receptive and given that it was fairly advance and pretty aggressive, I was told that I would not be able to take any form of estrogen for at least two years after completing my treatments, not just my surgery date.

I believe your Dr should via the pathologists report be able to tell you what type of cells were involved in your type. I know its very hard to do the wait and see thing, but, did want to tell you that not everyone has the "severe" type of menopause symptoms. I consider myself one of the lucky ones in that while I do have some hot flashes and night sweats, both of which are manageble, I haven't noticed any major differences in moods and/or depression. I also have the osteopenia that Maria mentioned so am taking additional calcium in addition to a medication to help protect my bones.

I hope this helps a bit and doesn't add to the confusion. Please keep us posted on how you are doing when you can and I hope you are resting and healing well.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 03:59 AM
OvCa and HRT

Your doctor wasn't just being a pain. The truth is they don't know! In the past, they'd have said no way. But now, even with a case like Vicki's it's at least a possibility.

My cancer wasn't aggressive and was caught early, so after six months and a clear CT scan we agreed I could try low dose ERT. Given the health risks in my family, the odds seemed better to take it rather than not, but it's always a risk. So it's always an individual decision.

Unread 03-02-2002, 10:17 AM
HRT okay for me

Hi Diane,
I did not have ovarian cancer so can't speak to that specificially.
However the first gyn/oncologist I saw said NO HRT because my body had made too much estrogen in the first place which caused the Endo cancer. I didn't like him much and moved on.
My second gyn/oncologist and the one who did my surgery said no problem for me to have HRT if I want it. The latest studies were showing that I would be at no more risk than anyone else by using HRT.
So I am one week post op. We are letting my stores of estrogen run out before we do anything. I don't feel any different hormonally than I did preop so far. A few hot flashes but nothing bad. I'll have my first follow-up in 3 weeks and we'll go from there.
I think I will do the HRT for awhile atleast. Of course we are all in different situations with different concerns.
I wish you the best in getting the information you need and making the best decisions for you.

Shelley

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register