Hospital Stay :: Advice from a post-Op Sister | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stay :: Advice from a post-Op Sister Hospital Stay :: Advice from a post-Op Sister

Unread 05-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Hospital Stay :: Advice from a post-Op Sister

I got home about an hour ago from my one-night stay in the hospital. I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on Thursday and kept my tubes and ovaries.

Thought I'd share my experience and what worked well for me in case it is at all helpful to anyone else.

While every doctor, hospital, procedure and patient is different - here are some of the things I learned. I was fortunate in that I didn't have "Bowel Prep" to do. My surgery was at 2pm, and nothing to eat or drink after 6am. I set my alarm for 5:15 to wake for breakfast which consisted of two scrambled eggs and a piece of toast with peanut butter. Then went back to sleep for a while.

I left my packed bag at home and only brought with me the comfy clothes I was in, flip flops, my cell phone, Photo ID and Insurance card in a tiny carrying case. My hubby would bring my bag to the hospital when he met up with me after surgery. We'll discuss what I packed in more detail. My sister-in-law dropped me off.

During admittance, the Anesthesiologist told me that I would be upside down for this operation. Not on my stomach, but more on a steep incline with my feet in the air. This is so gravity does the work of moving my organs out of the way. Reason he told me is so that when I wake up, I may have a full red face. **What I did have was a lot of blood in the outside corner of my right eye. It's already starting to dissipate, but was still alarming to see.

I believe this was my third time being 'put-out' and I still feel like it's the coolest experience ever! One minute, you're looking around the room and the next you are waking up someplace else. I was pretty groggy in recovery and floated in and out of sleep.

Moved to my room, got settled in and hubby arrived. The ONLY thing I used out of my packed hospital bag was my "magic bag". This is a small-mid sized soft sided make up case that I kept on the bed within arms reach against my bedrail. It proved to be indispensable! Here's what it contained:

* Cell Phone
* Backscratcher; added cause it was on the recommended list - I chuckled when I put it in there - but I used it like four times while in the hospital! Get one!
* Hard candies & Cliff energy bar
* Listerine pocket pak breath strips
* Lip balm & hand lotion
* A small mirror (how I saw my eye)
* Bluetooth headset for phone calls handsfree
* A Mophie Juice Pak - (battery charging case for my iPhone)
* Phone charging cables - long cord!
* Headphone ear buds
*** and the two items I used the MOST! Eye cover and Ear Plugs ***

Remember - you may have to share a room with someone. You have no control over their light, or the volume of their TV or Conversations! My neighbor (non-hyster patient) engaged in a loud debate about parking at 11:20 pm; then slept to calypso music. The earplugs and eye-cover were vital! And even if you don't share a room, a hospital isn't exactly quiet... it's in full swing at all hours.

One thing I wish I had added was hand sanitizer. A definite suggestion!

I'll create another post with what went unused in my hospital bag and some more of my experience - but as I type this from my bed at home - my magic bag still sits beside me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register