Help: What HRT has helped or not helped you | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help: What HRT has helped or not helped you Help: What HRT has helped or not helped you

Unread 06-04-2013, 04:58 AM
Help: What HRT has helped or not helped you

I had my full hysterectomy April 22, 2013, 6 weeks post op yesterday. Also had my appendix removed and stuff on my bowel. I have a history of depression & anxiety (hospitalized) big loser. I opted for no HRT or rather my Dr did. About 2 weeks ago I began to feel super sad. Not depressed but overwhelmingly sad. I was put on low dose minvelle? Then I had other issues insomnia, intimacy etc. so my Dr put me on a natural hormone pill? It's orange looks like a gum ball that was about 5 days ago? I was doing ok I thought back to myself pain finally gone..but yesterday all of a sudden I was sad, angry erratic behavior super anxious, overwhelmed. Like Dr Jekyll & mr hide. What do I do??! I can't put my family though anymore!!! Now I'm guitar depressed over it and feel like I'm falling back to where I was this time last year! (About to be hospitalized) I'm smart, funny, kind. But when this all happens I'm a waste of space. Please help. What HRT has helped or not helped you wonderful ladies. I wish I could have a hug! I'm soo scared!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Re: Help

What works for one, doesn't work for everyone. It could either be you need to take it more than once a day and shld take half your pill twice a day instead of all at once; or it could be it's not enough. Journaling to figure out what time of day you're feeling what can help figure out this aspect.

Low estrogen can make your sadness and depression worse. Why is your dr doing low dose? Does he not understand the correlation?

Also a pill is going to cause more fluctuation. I found the estrogel to be a life saver. First winter as an adult I ever didn't have severe SAD.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:26 AM

The orange gum ball pill is probably Prometrium. Sometimes the estrogen (Minivelle) needs to be higher before you add the Prometrium or you get depressed. Consider taking the Prometrium every other night until you get your estrogen higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM

ahhh...good point Edith.

Lovesafe, look at your bottle and see what you're taking. Do you mean you're using both the minivelle and the orange pill?

Edith is right. IF the pill is progesterone, and your estrogen is too low, it's going to make you feel worse. Its possible that instead of adding progesterone (if that's what it is) he should have upped the estrogen.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:44 AM

Sorry this is getting so difficult. These ladies have good points. Sometimes I think GYNs don't take these mental symptoms seriously enough. Do stay in touch with your psych Dr as well, since you recognize you are getting to an unsafe point. We want you to stay safe. Sometimes a more hormone savvy GYN is needed but I hope yours can adjust your meds a bit. Maybe keep a log of how you feel/what you take. But do keep your psych Dr in the loop if you are feeling this bad. I hope you feel better soon. :
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:55 AM

Thanks everyone! She told me to stop the progesterone pill and go get progesterone cream at a natural store. It was so frightening though, and my surgeon said that if I don't take any estrogen the Endometriosis could actually grow back!? I just can't be depressed anymore!!!!!! I have had a real rough go since my children were born. I need to get my **** together for them and my husband. No one understands! Thanks for all of your help and kind words they are very much needed....
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Help: What HRT has helped or not helped you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
What works for one, doesn't work for everyone. It could either be you need to take it more than once a day and shld take half your pill twice a day instead of all at once; or it could be it's not enough. Journaling to figure out what time of day you're feeling what can help figure out this aspect.

Low estrogen can make your sadness and depression worse. Why is your dr doing low dose? Does he not understand the correlation?

Also a pill is going to cause more fluctuation. I found the estrogel to be a life saver. First winter as an adult I ever didn't have severe SAD.
Where do you get Estrogel?
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM

script from the dr. They should have samples for you to try if you're interested. I do mail order now tho because it was much less expensive.
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:58 AM
Re: Help: What HRT has helped or not helped you

Hi, more questions sorry!! Now my surgeon (not my natural approach gyn) wants to put me on the combi-patch?? It's all synthetic right? I'm petrified to try it. If the gum ball looking progesterone pill made me nuts what is this going to do to me? I have no idea what to do. I had horrible reactions before my surgery to synthetic hormones (as far as my mental status) I'm so scared
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:51 AM
Re: Help: What HRT has helped or not helped you

Whoa! I'd have to say "no" to that if it were me. First, you need to get your estrogen right. Only estrogen. Granted with endo you want some progesterone on board too, but first things first.
Minivelle might be right for you, but it probably just wasn't high enough. And you have to give it 12 weeks to even out. I'm sorry to say, I don't think your dr knows what he's doing. I think a savvy dr would have just raised your dose when you said you were feeling that way. Are you still on the patches? Can you use one and half of another next time you change it? Can you call your dr and say "thanks, but I believe I want to stick with this bio patch and just get a higher dose?"
The prometrium is probably a good idea, but not until you've got enough estrogen on board.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register