Burned the tampons and the Pads!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Burned the tampons and the Pads!!! Burned the tampons and the Pads!!!

Unread 03-02-2002, 11:02 AM
Burned the tampons and the Pads!!!

Good morning, wonderful sisters! It is a very cold day here in North Texas (a rare thing). I awoke this morning freezing cold, tired of being tired and feeling sorry for myself. My wonderful, 14 yr old DD reminded me how lucky I am to never have periods again, she is jealous. I had a wonderful, albeit evil, thought and decided the pitty party is over and it is time now to move on. I asked her to bring in the firewood (we don't keep much on hand here in TX). I gathered up all my tampons and pads and tossed them into the fire, slowly, one by one, relishing the thought I will never again need them. DD was mortified and quickly left the room, wondering if I had forgotten to take my hormones this morning.

What a relief to burn those awful, dreadful things that represent years of grief, pain and anguish! It was very exhilarating and fun. Felt like I was throwing away the old so I can begin anew. Gosh, it was terrific!!!

Soon I heard the phone ring and minutes later DD told me the nurse wanted to talk to me. Nurse?? What nurse? I didn't call the dr's office! DD did - was worried that I had flipped my lid, you know - left the planet. I explained to the nurse what I was doing. She put me on hold, then came back on the speaker phone with everyone in the office (including doc), clapping and shouting hoorays!

I strongly believe this is a tradition that must be started and carried on by all the wonderful princesses who have crossed over. It is kind of a rite of passage, to prove we are well on our way to recovery and are in for the best times of our lives! Try it - you'll be amazed at how good it will make you feel!!!

Smiles and hugs to everyone. I'm glad to have finally moved on!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 11:14 AM
yeah

Dana
Good for you! lol When I initially came home from the hospital from my TVH-BSO, all the tampons and pads were removed from the bathroom. I had quite a stock pile. Knowing that I may expect some spotting, I asked hubby what happened to my supplies. He was being optimistic and had put it all away for me. I'm about 3-1/2 weeks post op and have had some spotting. I hate it though. DH continues to be very supportive and keeps reassuring me that it'll all be over soon and I'll never have to deal with it again. I can't remember what website I was on, but actually saw directions and a picture of an angel made from tampons! EE-gads. I had briefly considered doing some art project with my students, however, certainly didn't want to deal with explanations to students or parents about the supplies we'd use.

Take care. Congrats to you! That was wonderful to get the approval and support from the medical team.
Unread 03-02-2002, 12:01 PM
WOOO-HOOO!

I haven't had ANY spotting, I'm so happy to say.
I packed up all 5 or 6 different kinds of tampons & pads and gave them to my niece! She was mortified beyond belief

Maybe I'll ask for a few back for a symbolic ...
Sounds like FUN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 01:05 PM

Wooohooo! This is fun, ladies! I'm having such a great time! DD has called everyone she knows to tell them dear ol' mom has lost her marbles.
I am now thinking of burning the grannie panties when I am finally able to quit using them! I wonder what other kind of useless belongings I can add to the pit....hmmmm! Think maybe I'll add the Midol and Pamprin as well. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a speculum and some stirrups? And what about those awful paper aprons they make us put on at the dr's office???
My friend is coming over to get me out of the house since I'm not released to drive yet...thinks I've been cooped up too long. I say not! Just movin' on to a better life - yeah! No, I have not left Earth, just "rearranging" the old way of life!

to everyone!!!
Unread 03-02-2002, 01:58 PM

Right one!! I don't think you are crazy, I am post op for 4 days now and am anxiously awaiting the tampon burning, my DD (16) is also a bit jeolous, you won't understand anymore mom she says to me, but I will all to well, the memories ofwhat once was. Is snowy and cold here in Colorado too, glad you got the chances to dispose of those unwanted Items never again to be bought

Ya HOoooooo!

Belinda
Unread 03-02-2002, 04:46 PM

OH DANA!!! You are FUNNY! Speculum and stirrups!!! HA! That is wonderful. Burning those sanitary items just sounds like it would be refreshing. How about throwing those hospital gowns, hospital pads, and bed pads in there (you know...those of us who took them to use at home!) Live large and pain free!
Unread 03-02-2002, 05:07 PM

Dana,

Your DD's reaction is too funny...and typical of a 14 y/o. I have a 14 y/o DD myself & she tends to think a lot of what I do is weird. I like what you did with your old supplies. I wish I'd thought of it too. I gave my leftover pads to DD & threw away the tampons. I do still have the old granny panties. Since it's cold & rainy right now here in SC and the firewood's wet, maybe I can have a granny panty burning.

Pam
Unread 03-02-2002, 05:22 PM

Thank all of you for giving me a laugh! I got new panties the other day because I needed some bigger ones anyway. I hadn't even thought about all the "period panties" in my drawer. When I went to put the new ones in, it hit me and I was so excited. I took each pair out one at a time and threw them in my trash can. I got 8 new pairs and it will be SO nice to not have to worry about starting in my good panties!

As for the "supplies". I get a very weak bladder when I get a cold so unfortunately I will keep my pads around. There is one tampon in a drawer somewhere and I will probably just leave it there so I can laugh at it.
Unread 03-02-2002, 05:56 PM

WOW, I wish I had a fireplace!!

Kim
Unread 03-02-2002, 11:18 PM

You can come and borrow my fireplace, Kim! I have called and emailed all my wonderful friends and family out there in the "real world" (outside the land of hyster, that is), and they all agree with DD that I have temporarily taken leave of my senses. Temporarily, hah - this is permanent!
Funny thing is, my ex seems to be the only one outside of hysterville that understands. Says it's healthy for me. Where did that come from??? He's never thought about healthy in his life!!
I have run out of things to throw into the firey pit, so it is now out. Guess I have reached the point of no return and my oh my, does it feel good! I told my friends and family that I have now become better friends with my walls - they don't talk back when I demand they bow down to this lovely princess or laugh at me for burning old memories! And the walls hold still while I climb them, I do that alot here lately! Told the friends and family to enjoy life on the outside while we are cooped up and suffering here in the land of hyster. Not for long, tho, for soon we will be released from "the walls" and rejoining the land of the living and sane!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register