how much time off work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how much time off work? how much time off work?

Unread 03-02-2002, 07:17 PM
how much time off work?

Sisters,
If you were able to say how much time off from work would be ideal, what would you say? I know we are all different, but I wanted to hear what most of you think.
I am working part time after 8 weeks and find it to be plenty. So many well-meaning folks ask if there is something wrong...shouldn't I be feeling all better by now? I have read the posts talking about a year to fully heal, and yet, this is surely not common knowledge! I have read posts about DH who think we should be OK in 2 weeks...
I do think the toughest person to convince to lay low though is myself. I still can't get over the fact that I am still recovering...Is there any other surgery that takes this long to recover from?
What do all of you think?
TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 07:42 PM
how much time off work?

Hi TJ!

Your observations are right on the money!

This is very invasive surgery; I am not knowledgeable enough about other surgeries to be able to compare, but when we're talking about removing organs from the abdominal cavity, there is so much healing going on in there, that it does stand to reason how long it takes to recover and completely heal.

It might be physically possible to return to work earlier than alot of us do, but that doesn't mean it's in the best interest of our healing and recovery.

My timeline worked best for me; I returned to work for half days after week 8. Half days really did help me gradually get back in the swing of things; I think full-time right off the bat would have been a bit too overwhelming for me.

Recovery does tend to be a dull and boring project, but I think the payoff is worth every restless sigh.

((((((HUGS)))))))
Unread 03-02-2002, 07:54 PM
how much time off

i was just thinking the same thing. i am scheduled for my op on 24th april, 02 and my doctor was generous and told me he would give me a certificate for 6 weeks off work. i explained that i was an enrolled nurse and where i worked was particularily heavy as it is aged care and he said and i quote " you should be ok". i was stunned but not surprised at his answer and in any case i will be taking at least 8 weeks off as i want to be well when i return and able to do my job without hurting myself or my patients or fellow workmates. but is it any wonder that society has a misjudged idea of recovery times and how you "should" be feeling when medical officers have no idea them selves. it is typical of most drs i have come across, especially cause most of them are of the male gender, ( they would probably have to take 12 months for their recovery) he he he!!!!!
boo xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 08:40 PM
how much time off work?

I went back to work at 8 weeks (not possible at 6 weeks due to inability to sit for longer than 20 minutes at a time). I was going to ease back into it, but ended up taking on a new position and covering my old one, resulting in only working half days the 2-4 of January only.... Then worked 40+ after that.

I found that frequent walking helped alleviated discomfort, but I could do no lifting, not even bending yet. I couldn't pick a pen up off the floor at that point as bending caused way too much pulling and tugging and some bleeding. I also was very exhausted for 4 more weeks after that. I just started feeling healed enough to actually put the effort to go out to dinner and a movie after along week at work just the past couple of weeks.

My best advice to you (and you will get it over and over again from those of us who have gone before you) to just take it easy and listen to your body. Baby it as you have never done before. Give yourself the time to heal... you will see a little teeny bit of improvement on most days, not leaps and bounds that most of us expected. You will get those comments... It hurt when my sister-in-law told me "Why are you still having pain... I have never heard of this type of surgery taking so long." I had women at work tell me it was a piece of cake for them... LOL leave it to me to be the oddball out. But I listened to my body, and honestly, at 18 weeks post op (I think about 18 or 19) I feel at about 85% of the way to being "superwoman" again.

I hope that you continute to listen to your body. Aren't we so lucky to have found this site where there are so many others going through what we we are and those who remain to help! God bless each and every one of us!
Unread 03-02-2002, 09:17 PM
how much time off work?

Hi TJ,

I would say the ideal time to take off work is the amount of time YOU need to take off. Each of us is different. In my case, 8 weeks would have been very early. I still needed to have a nap each day, and I am sure if I was working, my employer would not have approved of me in the lounge! Hee! But, some girls return to work at 4 to 6 weeks and do fine.

There are many factors which influence how fast we recover after surgery such as whether we have had excessive bleeding from periods before surgery, or blood loss during surgery. I think age and physical condition has a lot to do with it too. Other chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, play a part in how fast we recover also.

But, ultimately, the thing to remember is that this is major surgery, and most all major surgery requires one year of recovery for a person to return to a pre-surgery state.

Since hysterectomy is the 2nd most common surgery being performed (C-section is #1), most everyone considers it to be like "falling off a log". I know I didn't realize how significant it is until I was preparing for it. I kept being told by different medical people, "You know this is major surgery." It was said over and over to me.

I think it is important to keep moving after surgery, and daily walking is the best exercise. We can do a lot to promote healing by sleeping well, eating nutritious foods, and drinking lots of water.

We must take care of ourselves to avoid long term complications. And, we must find cute, quick answers to people who can't understand why we aren't playing tennis at 3 weeks post op.

Listen to your body, and pamper the .

Blessings and s
Unread 03-02-2002, 10:14 PM
how much time off work?

Hi TJ...
I agree with everyone here. We are all different and heal at a different rate. I sometimes feel very guilty about not going back to work sooner but only I know what I'm capable of doing right now. When I went for my one month check-up my doctor said I could probably go back in about 2 weeks. My husband was there with me and said "No way!" He was kind of surprised that the doc would let me go back that soon. It's not like my DH was telling me what to do...he just knew how bad I was feeling at that time. Well, to make this long story shorter I'm coming up on my 8th week and I'm still not going back for a few more weeks!!! My job is very physical and I'm not taking any chances!
Like everyone has been saying...this was major surgery so be good to yourself. Get a proper amount of and Take good care of yourself and go back to work when you are ready..

Carol
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:00 AM
how much time off work?

All of you going back so early makes me feel like a wimp!! My male dr had me out originally for 8 weeks and then added another 2 weeks just because I said I was not ready yet. He said it was my body and I knew better than anyone else when I was ready. I am glad I was home 10 weeks! I felt so much better when I did return!! Good luck to anyone going back early, Ann
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:07 AM
how much time off work?

(((((Ann)))))

You are absolutely NOT a wimp, sweetie! Not at ALL! I'm really glad you have posted your experience, because it really does go to show that we are all different - we had different reasons for our surgeries, we had different DRs, different circumstances, and different degrees of invasiveness in our surgeries.

It think it is very wise to take as much time off from work as we possibly can, seeing that it does take up to a year to be completely healed. We do only have the one chance to heal properly, and we're not doing ourselves any favors by cutting ourselves short on time out from work.

Ann, I'm happy to hear that you took all the time you needed!
Take care, my sister; we're all here for each other.

((((((HUGS)))))))
Unread 03-03-2002, 01:12 PM
how much time off work?

Hi TJM,
I have a very demanding job (mentally, emotionally, and sometimes physically). I took the full 8 weeks and went to bed at 7:00 the first night back to work. At four months post I feel like my full energy level has returned for the most part.

It depends a lot on your job, other demands in your life (kids, home, other stuff), and your general health. Give yourself a break! Jan
Unread 03-03-2002, 01:33 PM
go when you are really ready to

TJ,

the ladies here are correct... everyone heals differently. go back to work when you are really ready to. some DR say 6 to 8 weeks. if my first surgery (dec 11th 2001) went without any problems, i would have been back to work february 1st. but because my body had to endure another surgery (dec 26th 2001) and trama my DR and gyno doc have instructed me to wait till the end of march.

my biggest fear about this is, i may not want to go back! i have been off work since nov.

take care

always
patti

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register