Stunned and frightened | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stunned and frightened Stunned and frightened

Unread 03-03-2002, 04:42 AM
Stunned and frightened

I am 57 years old and went to my gyn in November for bleeding and spotting. At that time I had a normal pap test and an ultrasound showing several small fibroids. He prescribed tri-est and said to take that for six months and if the bleeding didn't stop he would do an endometrial biopsy. The bleeding didn't improve and I started having low abdominal pain after two months so I quit taking the tri-est and went to another gyn. The biopsies he took showed squamous cell carcinoma which he believes is invasive and he referred me to an oncologist. How could cancer grow that fast? I did not anticipate such a terrible diagnosis. Does anyone know how this is normally treated? My daughter is expecting a baby in August - is it possible that I won't see that baby?

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 06:08 AM
Stunned and frightened

Squamous cell carcinoma is a way of defining cancer that begins in places other than glands. Until you have a full staging, it is hard to tell how far advanced it is, and it COULD still be contained in the uterus, in which case a full hysterectomy could get it. Please try not to worry too much (easier said than done), many of the lovely ladies here have survived cancer nicely. Go back to that oncologist with lots of questions. Have you been scheduled for surgery yet? What is the doctors plan of attack on this?

Let us know more.
Unread 03-03-2002, 06:19 AM
Stunned and frightened

Hi Maggie--

I just wanted to let you know that I can understand how frightened you feel -- cancer is a scary word and a scary diagnosis. I have ovarian cancer and am dealing with a recurrence right now, so I can relate to your fear and anxiety, which is very normal in your situation. Seeing an oncologist is not necessarily a death sentence -- the oncologists I see are very understanding and really are very reassuring to me -- even though I'm not the calmest person myself! They know all the treatments and can really answer all of your questions -- that is why you were referred to one. If I have any advice, it would be to make a list of all of your questions when you see the doctor (bring a friend for reassurance and for a second ear for answers), try to stay away from negative sites on the internet regarding cancer, and try not to think about the statistics -- they are only numbers and God is the one with the answers. A therapist told me once to "Let God do his job -- don't try to do his job for him" -- in other words, try to take it day by day. This is a wonderful website with wonderful ladies who are here to help you. Please write anytime...

Love,

Cyndy

(p.s. I think you will be seeing your daughter's baby in August!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 06:23 AM
And By the Way, congrats on the new baby

When I had my hysterectomy, my doc said I would live to bounce my grandbabies on my knee. I told my daughters to wait a really long time to have children! I am going to be a grandmama in June, 1st one, and felt Nicholas kick yesterday for the first time. What a thrill. I can't wait to smother him with kisses and hugs, and baby belly tickles, and.... You will see and hold that precious little one. Take care of yourself now!
Unread 03-03-2002, 09:26 AM
Stunned and frightened

Boy do I know about fear and anxiety........I had endometrial cancer stage 2b, grade 2 and I am 38. I certainly hope I will see my grandchildren. It has almost been a year since my surgery,my doctor tells me my prognosis is "excellent".
I would bet you are definitely seeing your grandchild. You need never get ahead of yourself, just take it one day at a time. Cancer nowadays does not always mean death. One of the ladies here considers it to be a chronic illness. You must believe that.....and you must be positive and you WILL get through this, and of course you have found us, and we will certainly be walking the walk with you. Keep us posted.......

Valentina
Unread 03-03-2002, 10:18 AM
Stunned and frightened

HI!!!

GLAD YOU FOUND THIS WONDERFUL SITE.

1ST PLEASE, DON'T BE TOO SCARED, I KNOW THAT THIS IS EASIER
SAID THAN DONE.

I AM IN MY FIFTY'S AND HAVE HAD ENDOMETRIAL CANCER.
I HAD A TOTAL HYST, AND ON MY WAY TO A GREAT RECOVERY.
MY ONOCOLOGIST IS NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE ENDO CANCER
IN THE LEAST. I HAD MY HYST NOV, 12 OF LAST YEAR.
THIS TYPE OF CANCER IS ALMOST ALWAYS CONTAINED, SO THAT'S
A PLUS.
I WOULD THINK A TOTAL HYST SHOULD BE ALL THAT'S NEEDED.

TALK TO YOUR DR. ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS.
WHEN I GO TO SEE HIM I WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN SO I DON'T FORGET.
YOU'LL BE O.K.
Unread 03-03-2002, 11:43 AM
Stunned and frightened

Hi Amy, welcome to CANCER CONCERNS like the ladies say , cancer is such a frightening thing to be diagnosed with. I remember when I first found out about mine, I thought I was dying, so you are feeling all the normal reactions.

Usually a hysterectomy is all that is needed , some of us have had to have further treatment. I am now 8 mths post radiation and doing fine.

Cyndy has some good advice. Stay away from negative sites ( I find this site was enough support for me ) and when you do see the oncologist .. take a list of questions and someone to be your 'ears' as most times you are so stressed you dont really hear.

It is so exciting having a grandchild and you will so much enjoy him or her for quite a few years I am sure. Please dont forget we are all here for you. Holding your hand and giving you lots of hugs and support as you travel this bump in your road. love always xx
Unread 03-03-2002, 02:54 PM
Thank you all for the good words

I am new to this site and hope that I am posting correctly. I was so pleasantly surprised by the quick show of support. I don't have any friends who have had cancer and I have been feeling alone and isolated. I really don't know exactly how bad off I am because I have only seen a gynecologist whose outlook was quite gloomy. I am going to the oncologist on Wednesday and he should be able to tell me more.

I hate having to lay this burden on my husband. The company I worked for downsized recently and I was let go so he is now our sole support and it's probably pointless for me to look for a job. Luckily his business is doing well and we have good insurance. However, he is still a young man and until recently we were sexually active. Now I'm not sure we can ever be again.

I love all of you for reaching out to me and hope that I can face whatever is coming with the courage that you have shown.

I pray for your good health and recovery.

Amy
Unread 03-03-2002, 03:05 PM
Stunned and frightened

Amy, be assured that a hysterectomy and cancer do not stop your sex life. Of course you wont be able to have sex for at least 6 weeks after the op and maybe for a little longer but eventually you will.

Once my radiation started , even though I kept my ovaries the treatment did 'kill' them and it does take a little while to get the desire back. Still not quite there yet for me , but the oncologist says to give myself time.

Some gynocologists can be quite negative as they are not experts in the cancer field. The oncologist will give you more insight to just what has to be done. Please try to stay positive, I know, I know it is so hard sometimes but you have to fight . When you do need to cry , come here and rest . We will take the load for you . Keeping you in my prayers and thoughts . Much love always Robyn xx
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:41 PM
Hi Amy

Hi Amy - I know how you feel. Here is an excerpt from my one of my first posts to this site in Oct. 2001....

".......For the first time in my life, I feel like I'm completely out of control. The fear that is coarsing through my veins is like ice water on hot iron skillet. It is too much to bear.

I posted before that my surgery was scheduled for this last tuesday, but cancelled in Pre Op from beginning pneumonia in my lungs.

The fear of that the Ca125 elevated test result has on me is so strong it is almost too much to bear. The worry is all I can think about.

I feel pretty good I keep telling myself. Yeah I have heavy periods, and I know the cysts showed up in the sonogram and cat scans - but I feel good today. I have an enlarged uterus which one doctor told me he thinks is due to adenomyosis and three c-sections.

I just want to be okay. I just want to not have cancer. I just want to get on with my life before all of this started.

The waiting and the fear is so terrible.robins........."

I still remember posting this and the incredible terrible worry inside. Amy I just want you to know that Robyn is right, sometimes Gyn's don't always have the best outlook because they aren't oncologists. Oncologists deal with cancer issues everyday and are on the cutting edge of treatments. That is their job.

Wait to see what the oncologist says. Write your questions down, you won't remember them all if you don't. Take an extra pair of ears with you to listen to the answers. That way if your ears don't hear something someone else can tell you.

We are all here for you. I hope you find some kind of peace until your appt. RobinS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register