Hi, I am new here! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi, I am new here! Hi, I am new here!

Unread 03-03-2002, 09:43 AM
Hi, I am new here!

Hi, I am new here. I have been reading the messages for a while and finally got up the courage to post. Thank you so much everyone for sharing your experiences...I have read such great information. I already feel comforted that I am not alone...and that many others have triumphed over cancer, endo, ect and go on to joyfully live their life. Here's my story....I have struggled for over 15 years with endometriosis, adhesions, ovarian cysts, infertility as many of you have. Laparoscopy, Luperon, Danocrine, Pergonal, IVF... been there done that. I do have 4 healthy children...thank God for that. This past November, I had what I thought was a routine mammogram....I do have some fibrocystic changes (benign) so it makes self-exams difficult...So I have mammograms pretty much regularly...well to make a long story short.....The dx was Ductal Carcinoma in situ. High Grade I was in shock...38 yrs old 8 month old baby....my dh has been dx with young-onset Parkinson's Disease earlier in the year....so I feel like 2001 was a devastating year for my family.....I had a bilateral mastectomy with tissue expander placement in Dec. after surgery and the path report was back, I also had Paget's disease of the nipple (another more rare form of breast ca) so I am very happy with my decision to remove both of my breasts....That brings me to now...sorry I am posting so long for the first time...after many considerations and decisions....I am having a TAH/BSO in April....I am scared of waking up after surgery and being told you have ovarian or uterine ca....I have moments that I am overwhelmed by ca thoughts...then I feel confident...up/down...up/down...Now here are the questions I have...What is someone else's experiences with history of breast ca and hrt after tah/bso. The docs at university clinic say yes I can have hrt because I have no breast tissue to protect....the onocologist say yes to hrt also..I also would like some insight on how tah/bso has affected your sexual response...there I said it...I am so nervous...I know this is so intensely personal....will I still be orgasmic? or will it change...I hope to not have as much pain as I do now..I have so much more to ask...Thank-you for reading my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 10:55 AM
Hi, I am new here!

s

Hi there & welcome to Hystersisters!!!

I'm sorry I don't have the answers to all your troubles. I am sorry to hear all you are going through though and will try to help as much as I can.

I have fibrocyctic tissue in my breasts too and a family history of breast cancer, so I also have to have regular mammograms. My mother keeps telling me to take Vitamins C & E because it helps her with hers. You may want to ask your dr about it...the dr may not want you to take them just before surgery because of the blood thinning properties they can have. I've also heard that avoiding caffeine helps reduce it, but I can't live without my coffee, tea & Diet Coke.

Sounds like you've made a wise decision in having anything cancerous or potentially cancerous removed. I haven't had as big a scare as you, but I do know the worries I had with my recurring severe dysplasia and feel pretty relieved since having my hyst.

I kept my ovaries, so I'm not on hrt. Maybe someone will come along soon and answer the questions you have about it. What I have heard from some is that when they're on the right hrt for them and have given it enough time to get adjusted to it, there are no sexual problems. One thing I can share with you is that I had my cervix removed and am having no problems with orgasms. Please don't be embarassed to ever ask questions...what you've asked is quite a common wonder of women before they have this surgery. That's one of the great things about this site. We can all learn from other's questions/answers about things we may be too embarassed to ask for ourselves.

Join us in the chat room. There's always great advise, hugs & cyberbrownies in there!!!

Pam
Unread 03-03-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi, I am new here!

Hi halogirl, welcome to CANCER CONCERNS gee you seem to have been through so much in the past

I dont know much at all about breast cancer and HRT , sorry. But there are a few ladies who do and I am sure they will be along very soon to help.
Be very informed before making any decisions and keep asking questions until you are 100% comfortable with the answers.

Please remember we are all here to support you. lots of love and hugs x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 05:56 PM
Hi, I am new here!

Hi Halogirl....welcome!

Boy, I thought I had a bad year! I am 38 years old as well. I had endo cancer, stage 2b. My expereince has been, once I was diagnosed, I too felt that cancer would show up somewhere else, if not all ready there. I have regular mammos and see a breast surgeon every 6 months. I chose not to take HRT because of my fear of breast cancer. I have rather large breasts and feel that I am at a higher risk. Just my own paranoia since my cancer, nothing proven.
Anyway the point is, I feel, that once you are diagnosed with cancer, even if you get an earache you feel that it is cancer. I believe that that is all normal.
Now for the sex part......I have not had a problem with orgasms since my surgery.
Ask your doctor I am sure he will reassure you.
Please feel free to email me anytime.
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers
Valentina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register