osteoporosis anyone? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

osteoporosis anyone? osteoporosis anyone?

Unread 05-30-2002, 08:09 AM
osteoporosis anyone?

Margaret - 58 is YOUNG!! Of course perhaps I am prejudiced because I am 58 also! But some days I FEEL 70. .

I guess it is all relative - my mom says she is just now starting to feel old and she will turn 80 next month (and has Parkinsons or she probably would still feel young at 80).

I will ask the nurse about Tums too when I call her - although taking the Prilosec should help as it is for the stomach acid problems.

Gail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 09:16 AM
osteoporosis anyone?

s Gail

I laughed when I saw this old thread. I am embarassed by my spelling of a medicine I now know very well! Fosamax. There, I got it right.
My osteopenia came on rapidly after my radical hyster and chemo. I just turned 50 in Jan. and was not allowed HRT.
I do take 1500mg of supplemental calcium per day. I usually remember at least two doses. One pill with each meal. Since I usually only eat two meals I also have Viactiv. It's calcium in the chewable candy flavored form and you need not take it with meals. I usually chew one of these at days end if I've only gotten in two pills.
Fosamax I take on the weekend. I only have to wait thirty minutes for coffee but I do have to drink 8 oz of water with the pill. It causes me no gastric problem whatsoever.
Nothing evers bothers this chubby little gut of mine. Except hunger pains.

karenann

PS Margaret, I envisioned you to be about thirty five!!!!!
Unread 06-01-2002, 10:31 PM
Bone Density Scan today -- referred for DEXA Scan

Can anyone tell me the accuracy of heel scans? I had one done today at a Women's Conference and it was suggested that I provide my doctor with the information and was recommended to have a DEXA Scan. Also, does anyone know how these things are graded? What is the lowest number for the test and the highest number? I have heard that they are not that dependable, but a good indication to get the DEXA Scan and have insurance pay for it. They wouldn't pay for my heel screening last year. This year I got it for free. We paid $30 for the conference, but there were a lot of freebies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2002, 05:02 PM
osteoporosis anyone?

I also have osteopenia and my Dr. put me on Actonel because you don't have as many stomach problems. It now comes as a once a week pill. This is just new. I also eat 4 tums daily.
Unread 06-04-2002, 04:43 AM
Fosamax

Hi
I just started my once weekly Fosamax. Was going to start it on Sunday, and remembered at around 3PM Sunday - so taped the insert of pills to my mirror in the bathroom to remember! Took the first one Mon AM - and just had a feeling of a small "lump" in my throat for about an hour. I wanted to drink more than the 8 oz of water with the pill, but wasn't sure if this was OK. Once I took my other daily morning poills with more water one hour later, I was fine. Does anyone take the Fosamax with more than 8 oz of water?
I didn't have any other problems, just the little lump feeling.
Trying hard to remember to take those calicum horse pills. Think I will get some Viactiv - maybe it will help the chocolate cravings a little to take one of those a day replacing one of the calcium pills.
Gail
Unread 07-05-2002, 04:15 PM
DEXA Scan tomorrow morning

I scheduled my DEXA Scan for tomorrow morning. I met a lady at the grocery store while waiting for a prescription. She was picking up her Fosamax. I asked how long she had been taking it and she said just a few months. She had a scan last year and then another this year. She had a 30% bone loss in one year! I decided I better get my scan done now just in case I need to take something. I am starting to feel like an old lady (over 90) because I am so stiff when I get out of bed in the morning. Now I have to hope that the insurance company pays for it. I had my hyst two years ago (6/2000) and have been on Premarin since July 2000. I also take thyroid medication for hypothyroidism.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register