Scheduled TLH Robotic total hysterectomy (surgery 7/18) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Robotic total hysterectomy (surgery 7/18) Robotic total hysterectomy (surgery 7/18)

Unread 07-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Robotic total hysterectomy (surgery 7/18)

My surgery is scheduled for July 18 th . 2weeks away, nervous about this any advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Re: Robotic total hysterectomy

Me, too! I'm going tomorrow. I've heard so many great things about this type of surgery (I'm having Da Vinci), but we are only human and it's still scary, right? The encouragement from others is very helpful. Most women have an easier and shorter recovery and I hope we both have successful and uneventful surgeries.
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:52 AM

I am scheduled for davinci aug 21 and terrified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2013, 10:20 AM

I had the robotic done just over 3 weeks ago, and I'm doing great. It was a great experience for me. The first time u stand up, it will be VERYpainful, but after that its all downhill. The only issue I've had is constipation. So be sure to take stool softener before u need it. Incision heal nice and just make sure u rest, no lifting, bend or staining and you should be great! It DOES take at lest three weeks to start feeling normal. You will be fine! Good luck to you both.
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:22 AM

I had mine 3 weeks ago, and I was scared too, but it was a great experience for me. After u stand up the first time, it's all down hill.
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:27 AM

When you say very painful are we talking soreness or down right excrutiaing pain
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:05 AM

First of all, ask lots of questions. Your doc should be forthcoming with answers. Ask how many procedures they have performed. Try and be as informed as possible. View the video on how to get out of bed after surgery.

Also listen to your intuition. If this procedure is to cure a non-life threatening illness, then ask yourself if your current condition is unbearable to the point you need surgery. A second opinion is always great too! I found out after my surgery that chemical menopause was an option, but I wasn't told.

If you are already scared, don't view any videos on YouTube about the procedure, you think that would've convinced my chicken self not to do it lol.

One other thing, do a health-grades or similar search on your doc to make sure they don't have any open discipline cases against them. Sorry if it sounds scary, but information is strength!!

Be sure and have your recovery area staged and help arranged. Don't overdo either.... this is your one chance to heal...

Good luck!
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:11 AM

I know everyone's pain tolerance is different, but I'll say the first time was extremely painful for me. I just didn't expect it to be that painful, however, I spent the night and they didn't get me up until the next morning (my surgery was at noon and I got out of recovery at 4). But don't stress about it. I just wish I had know that the first steps would be that painful (at least for me), it may not be that bad for u. Overall the surgery was far better that I imagined. Just rest, rest, rest, and that is the hard part, but your body had a major surgery, so it's very important. Even if you feel pretty good in just a few days. Good luck, don't be scared.
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:18 AM

I am 4 weeks out today from my DvH. Honestly, surgery was really smooth. Doc sent me home with gasx, senna, and colace in addition to the pain killers. That made BM's no real problem for me. I stayed on the pain meds every 4 hours, then 5 , then 6 etc etc. I only needed to take 1 and not the 2 that I could have. That worked well for me. Took a few days and I was not needing anything but occasional advil here and there. I did not have the extreme pain standing up for the first time as some of the others did, but everyone is different. Stay ahead of the pain for the first few days. If you wait until you are sore, it is hard to get under control. Sleep when you feel like it, but walking is very good for you post op. I usually did this once I was up to use the restroom anyway. Enough to circulate, but not overdo. My house us up 21 steps so I had to do small laps around the living room LOL. :-) Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:25 AM

I did not experience "pain" when they got me up to walk. Mine was more like soreness. I've had 3 c-sections...it was MUCH easier than getting up the first time after that.

Overall, I would say my biggest challenge is reminding myself to not do too much!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register