Panty Girdle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-06-2002, 09:01 AM
Panty Girdle

OK sisters......What have we heard on this subject? People tell me it's good to wear one to keep everything supported. Others say you have to let your abdominals do the work again. What do say?

something has got to work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 09:05 AM
Panty Girdle

I had my surgery on 1-28-02 the day after surgery in the hiospital they put a stomach binder on me. It helps alot. After a week of using that I switch to panty girdles. I dont wear it all the time but when I know I will be doing alot of walking it helps. My DR always asks if Im wearing it or not. So my opinion yes it works Go for it
Unread 03-06-2002, 09:28 AM
hello

The the attending dr. gave me a stomach binder in the hospital too. But my main physician oncologist said she didn't care if I used it or not.

I only used the binder one time, when I was going shopping for the first time. It was helpful.

I could not stand to wear a girdle. But I can admit the times I've worn control top panty hose, it has been nice.

Maybe it is a toss up? RobinS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 09:28 AM
Panty Girdle

thanks for the reply..I noticed the other post on the same subject after I sent mine. Walmart has some panty girdles 2 for $6. They really feel good and I was hoping they were OK to wear.

Unread 03-06-2002, 12:33 PM
Panty Girdle

Hi, Sisters.

I had a TAH/BSO on 2/20/02 (two weeks today) and my dr. gave me an abdominal binder. I wore it A LOT right after; now I use it when I've been up a while or if I'm going to be out walking. It helps that non-supportive feeling and I think it helps with any pain or discomfort after doing too much.

A good friend of mine had breast cancer three years ago and major reconstructive surgery. They took the fat from her abdomen to form the new breast and her incision was hip to hip. She was given a binder, too and her drs. insisted she wear it. So...just another opinion or two.

Take care, all.

Michele
Unread 03-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Yes To Panties

I had my TAH on 2/26 and I haven't really used anything on my tummy other than panties. My mom happened to run in to a friend of hers and the daughter. Started talking and it so happens that the dd had a hyst on the 19th. My mom said I had mine a week ago. Anyway, the dd told my mom to go and buy me some control top panties. Her dr. suggested she wear them for about 4 hrs /day. Tell you what. I tried it today for the first time and I felt so much relief. Walking was made easier. I have a very swelly belly and had to hold a tummy pillow each time I walked around. I didn't have a flat tummy to begin with, but man did it feel good. After a while It was a little to tight so I took them off and noticed a difference. I feel more pressure at the incision area. Think you should try them.
Unread 03-06-2002, 04:50 PM
Panty Girdle

I was really glad to see that others have gone the support panty route (I posted the other message about them). I went out today and bought a few pairs.

I think I went a bit overboard pre-op and bought some really huge cotton panties. Yes, I was and am still swollen, but I hate the feeling of having nothing to hold me together, so to speak.
Unread 03-06-2002, 05:23 PM
belly support

Hello: I had my TAH a week ago. I'm still a bit sore, but wearing a elastic bandage has lessen the pain in my belly. The good thing about the bandage is that you can adjust the pressure by pulling on it. I wear it all day, I only remove it when I go to bed. I also noticed my belly is less swollen. Basically you have to wear some kind of support, so you mussles don't just hang down.
Unread 03-06-2002, 06:42 PM
Panty Girdle

Wonder why my doctor didn't suggest this. Thank God for this web site!

Unread 03-06-2002, 06:55 PM
Panty Girdle

I returned to work on Monday and have a 1 3/4 hour commute by train. I was absolutely miserable all day from all the bouncing around on the train. It felt like my insides were going to fall out.

Today, I wore the support panties from Walmart and it made all the difference in the world. Very little bouncing around. I did swell up from sitting and walking around all day (I leave the house at 6:15 am and don't get home til 7:30 pm). I'm going to get the next size larger in the panties and hope that they don't get too tight after the long day from swelling.

I highly recommend the support!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register