LMP recurrance | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LMP recurrance LMP recurrance

Unread 03-07-2002, 03:25 AM
LMP recurrance

8 years ago I had my left tube removed along with an attached cyst which was staged as low malignant potential. I retained both ovaries, etc. because I was hoping to have children.

I now have a recurrance on the left ovary and am trying to decide whether to have remove: left ovary only, both ovaries and tubes, or ovaries, tubes, and uterus. Doctor recommends at least removing both ovaries because of ovarian cancer risk.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation/decision? I'm having trouble finding any literature re: removing ovaries but retaining uterus.

Thank you for your help.

JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 08:13 PM
LMP recurrance

Hi JB!

Welcome to Hystersisters! While I don't have any personal experience with this type of situation, there may be another that may come along who does.

A couple of things you might check out are doing a search on low malignant threads and also check out some of the links that are posted in a thread at top of this forum. There's a lot of good sites listed that might be able to answers some of your questions.

I don't know if your Dr is a Gyn Oncologist but if not, that be another thing you may check into. One may be able to give you a better insight into what risks may be associated with leaving the ovaries vs taking them.

I wish you the best in your search and hope that you'll find some information that will help make your decision easier.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 03-08-2002, 12:47 AM
LMP recurrance

Hi JB

I am going through a similar decision at the moment. I had a huge ovarian tumor removed along with my left ovary in December. The pathologists had a lot of trouble classifying, and said in the end that it was Stage 1A ovaca, however my consultant said that it was a low malignancy potential one. My decision now is to whether have the other ovary, tubes and uterus removed or to leave things as they are and just be checked by scans.
I feel for you as I know its not an easy decision to make. My decision initially was to have everything out but to wait 6 months and be checked by scans in the mean time. However since then I still keep changing my mind. I understand your frustrations about there not being much info out there on low malignancy potential tumors, so I keep bothering my consultant with my questions, but I figure hey thats what hes there for and I'm not going to feel guilty about disturbing his day (he is actually very good and always happy to answer my questions). I have asked him about risks and he said that I have about a 10% risk of recurrence if I leave things as they are. It helps to know this but doesn't make the decision any easier. So now I'm doing a lot of soul searching and trying to figure out how I will cope best in the future.
I hope you come to a decision that is best for you and if I can help in any way let me know

Belinda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register