Really want to get out of the house!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Really want to get out of the house!! Really want to get out of the house!!

Unread 03-07-2002, 12:48 PM
Really want to get out of the house!!

I'm really feeling cabin fever and really want to get out. I had a Vaginal Hyst on 2/26/02 and they only took the uterus. I'm not really hurting alot just a little. Washed dishes today and did alittle laundry. Next week starts my 3 week of recovery and my daughter starts softball games do you think it would be too much for me to go and watch her play weather permitting. I don;'t go back to doctor until the 18th of March for my 3 week check up. Then I suppose to decide if I want to go back to work or wait another week. What do you ladies think. !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 01:02 PM

I say if you're feeling up to it and it's ok with your dr, GO FOR IT! My dr gave me permission to drive at 2 weeks, but do what yours tells you. I'm sure your dd would love to have you at her games and the fresh air would do you good. If you are allowed to drive, you might want someone to drive you the first couple of times just to be sure you feel ok. Another suggestion...take a chair to sit in so you'll be more comfortable than on those bleachers.

Be careful with the !!! Don't want to jump up too fast and pop something!
Unread 03-07-2002, 01:07 PM

Did you ask your doctor when you can drive? Mine told me as soon as I felt up to it. But wanted me to check with my insurance (car) company to see their policies.

I will be driving my daughter to school starting on Monday. I plan on taking the car out on Sunday for a "test drive" with hubby, just to see how I feel behind the wheel.

I'm planning on going tonight to watch her do her karate. It's sparring night.

It's good to get out of the house, but not to do laundry. Haha, I keep on telling hubby I have to wait a few more weeks. He doesn't mind! Yay!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 06:19 PM

I had the same surgery, SAH, on 2-5-02; now 4 weeks post-op. Yes, it is way too early to go a softball game. You'll hhave to sit in a very uncomfortable chair for a long time. Even the ride in the car could be too much! STOP doing the laundry and housework...that is too much! You have only one chance to heal correctly. Be patient. Take you "happy" pills and sleep 8-12 hours a day. I take Excedrin PM to help me sleep at night. My swelly-belly is sometimes painful at night still. You will feel so exhausted if you don't allow yourself to recouperate slowly. I am taking the full 8 weeks of disability. I'm 43 yo and I'm not playing that Supermom / Super-worker stuff anymore. I am going to take good care of myself now, so that the next 40 years will be good also.
Unread 03-07-2002, 06:44 PM

We had the same date Miss Penny 2/5/02, I'm feeling really good, but I've been trying to be careful because I've been warned on here and from relatives about it taking longer to recover if you over do it. I started driving at week two, and it was ok until weeks 3-4, I got sore for a few days and felt every bump in the road. I think that was the 3 week thing everyone is talking about. I'm getting cabin fever too. It's not just he hysterectomy keeping me in, it's the cruddy weather. I can't wait till spring and nice weather. When spring comes I always get motivated to work out and get in shape for summer, and maybe at my six week check up on the 19th, the doc will let me start working out, I know SLOWLY, but I'm really hyped about it because I've already lost like six inches when they took all those fibroids out of me. Not last summer but the one before that I was all thin and lookin good, then my stomach started getting bigger and bigger, looked pregnant, yeah....and I finally delivered.......10+ lbs of fibroids lol.
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:14 PM

Just read what MissPennyUSA said and wanted to add another reply...

I still feel that if you are feeling well enough at 3 weeks to go to your dd's softball game and like I said before, if it is ok with your dr, then I don't see any reason why you should miss it. Key words are...if you feel well enough...and if ok with dr.

Most women who've had a vaginal hyst feel well enough to get out of the house at 3 weeks post and most are given permission to drive by this time. (Most) If the drs didn't feel it was safe to venture from the house, I don't think they'd give the permission to drive. Not everybody heals at the same rate...some heal slower than others. So, listen to your OWN body and don't try anything before your dr has said it's ok to do.

I thought I had said it before, but just reread my reply and noticed that I didn't, but you may consider making sure there is someone else who could drive your dd home if you feel you need to leave before the game is over. You may even want to have someone with you who can drive you home in case you start to feel too bad that you can't drive yourself.

If you feel you need to move around instead of just sitting there, you can certainly walk around at the ballfield. Walking is good for you. It is not good for you to be a couch potato for weeks & weeks. The body will never get stronger that way. Just increase your activity (within limits allowed by dr) gradually until you're back in the swing of things.

This will be the 8th year my 11 y/o (almost 12) ds has played baseball & I haven't missed a game yet. So, I understand what it's like to want to be there for your children while they're still young, how much fun watching them play a game can be, and how refreshing it is to the mind to be in the great outdoors & around all the people you enjoy being around. But if you ever feel that your body cannot handle it, it won't hurt to miss a game or so.

s
Pam
Unread 03-07-2002, 09:32 PM
going to ballgame

Just wanted to say that I went to my dd's basketball game one week post-op. (No, I didn't drive). I just took one of those folding canvas lawnchairs so I wouldn't have to sit on bleachers and it was fine. I took a nap that afternoon so I would be rested and I came right home afterwards. It felt to good to get out of the house! Only you know how you feel, and if you're up for it, go and enjoy the game. I figured sitting is sitting no matter where you do it.

God Bless,
Kim
Unread 03-08-2002, 05:36 AM

I agree that if you are feeling up to going to a ballgame, go. I remember my first time getting out of the house and just being in the fresh air was healing. Even though we have some restrictions during our recovery, we shouldn't feel punished. Just mentally prepare yourself that the next day might be a slow day if your outing was too much; take that time to relax. Continued good healing!

Unread 03-08-2002, 05:45 AM

I also had my surgery on 2/05. Last weekend I was completely stir crazy. I had been out with dh a couple of times for short trips to the grocery store and to my 2 week post op check up. I feel so good I have trouble remembering that I had surgery. I've had a cold this week, fever, chills, coughing, it wasn't too bad fortunately it's mostly gone now. But I'm tryong to figure out if I've been having hot flashes or if it's from being sick.
Unread 03-09-2002, 11:09 AM
really want to get out of the house

i had a vaginal hyst 4 months ago and i was driving by the 4th day ( with dr OK). if you feel ok there is really no reason that i can think of not to go to the game. i was back at work full time at the 2 wk mark and had no problems at all. some people just recover faster than others, so while some would not be able to go, others have no problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register